Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to buy photographic equipment and consumables

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Heh, I bought a Jessops lens cleaning kit in Jessops last year for about 14 quid, went to the Camera Exchange...and it was 8 quid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 User Name:

I can recommend play.com for CF memory cards... very good value and prompt delivery... SanDisk Extreme III CompactFlash 2GB for EUR 27.99 (inc. p&p!)...

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/-/267/347/3-/RegionHome.html?searchtype=genre

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

jessops accesories are WAAY over priced but their cameras are about in line. If you dont like jessops then just exploit them but groping their cameras to test but buy them somewhere else :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9 striderswoe

gunnes do a brilliant service.............

7 day shop are good if you lay it on the line with them from the start, i mean where the would you get a 4GB extreme compact flash card for 72 euro? - apart from pixmania, ie, exclusive of p+p

gunnes do a brilliant service.............

7 day shop are good if you lay it on the line with them from the start, i mean where the would you get a 4GB extreme compact flash card for 72 euro? - apart from pixmania, ie, exclusive of p+p

61.99 euro from play.com for a 4GB SanDisk Extreme III CF ... delivered :)
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/RTS/3-/880501/SanDisk_Extreme_III_CompactFlash_4GB/Product.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

User Name: wrote:
    61.99 euro from play.com for a 4GB SanDisk Extreme III CF ... delivered :)
    http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/RTS/3-/880501/SanDisk_Extreme_III_CompactFlash_4GB/Product.html

How did you get it delivered when my understanding is that play.com wont deliver any gadgets or electronics to the Republic??

How did you get it delivered when my understanding is that play.com wont deliver any gadgets or electronics to the Republic??

Didnt notice that!
    I was gonna order today. Will use a friends address in the UK anyhow and get them to forward it on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 vinlad

Does anyone know where i can get costum sized mounts? Need them for very long panaramas (4' long by about 7",130cm x 17.5cm) or A2 sized photos. Just need monts not frames.

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭latchiko

Most framing places will cut a custom mount for you. It tends to be a bit pricey but if you only need one or two then it might be your best bet. If you need a lot of them it might be worth your while looking into cutting them yourself.

still cant find a UK or Irish based website that has the nikon d40x for £500 except jessops. We dont get taxed from other eu states but they have different voltages than us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Spyral,

The voltage of the country doesn't matter as far as I know. I got my D200 from the states. The actual charger is rated to be capable of taking anything from 100 volts up to 250 volts as the charger probably has a transformer to reduce the voltage down to charge the battery. You can either get a UK-US adaptor or simply by another figure "8" cable with a UK plug.
    I imagine they make the chargers this way so its easier to mass produce them and not worry about them being region specific.

Pete.

I was wondering this, thanks for sorting it out. But still most of the internet shops dont do it for less than 750 which I van get it for in a shop in the UK so Im just going to go there instead I think. btw is www.wrexcam.com

Spyral wrote:
    I was wondering this, thanks for sorting it out. But still most of the internet shops dont do it for less than 750 which I van get it for in a shop in the UK so Im just going to go there instead I think. btw is www.wrexcam.com

Much as it pains me to say it now, Jessops has a better deal, d40, 18-55 nikon 55-200 for £440. 440 = E650. To but the d40 alone in ireland is 600 euro so for 50 yoyos more I get t'uber lens which will actually focus with the camera !

BAWAHGAHAHWWHWHHWHWAAAAAAA !

*does happy dance*

*gives sausage roll (or veggie roll to vegitarians) to all those who gave info*:)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭nick 56

Thanks for the info people. I have being pricing a Nikon D200, Nikon 800 flash and leads on the web, I found a firm in central london www.microglobe.co.uk. I looked at their prices in sterling and used an internet currancy converter to work out the euro price. I plan to let visa do the currancy conversion I was going to ryan air it and stay few days with my sis.

Q) Has anybody used www.microglobe.co.uk?. It is a real shop with address and stuff.

Ps went into pixwhatever in south ann st with my ssia and the bloke could not be arsed to sell me a D200

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭jthrppel

May many of you know this already. There is a Jessops in Dublin.
    I was trying to buy a d40x and the cheapest sources either did not sell to the Eire or was impossible to buy on credit card. UK Jessops at £465 for d40x+10-55 lens sources seemed a reasonable price (comparable to Hong Kong prices +VAT). but it turns out that they stopped selling internationally. But the good thing is that there is a Jessops in 111, Grafton Street near Spectra who was willing to sell this unit at the UK Jessops price. I just picked one up today, haven't taken pictures yet, we will be using it on a nikon microscope mostly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Jessops in Dublin is an expensive shop. They charge more than conns cameras ,for some items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭DotOrg

Just adding to this post

Studio Hire:
    http://www.mccallstudio.com/studio/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

_Brian_ wrote:
    Jessops in Dublin is an expensive shop. They charge more than conns cameras ,for some items.

No Brian, that can't be possible, can it? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I just can't pay so much for films, development and scanning. 90 Euro for 6 rolls of film.
    Could you recommend me any shop, where I can buy Pentax K10D and pay monthly? I am thinking about 10 - 15 % payment a month.
    I think that the total price could be about 1200 Euro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

DotOrg wrote:
    Just adding to this post

Studio Hire:
    http://www.mccallstudio.com/studio/

Arent they horrifically expensive ? like €500+ for a minimum slot in the smaller of their 2 studios ?

I recommend imagerystudios http://www.imagerystudio.t83.net/ (its in Antrim bout 2-3 hrs from dublin)

• Advertisement

Hallo

I was let down by FUJI minilab again. And by the price of developing and scanning films too.

I am about to buy this toy - http://www.jessops.com/Store/s36303/1-136-481/Home/Cameras--and--Lenses/Digital-SLRs/Pentax/K10D-%2b-18-55mm/details.aspx
    at Jassops, fo course.

I haven't found conditions of sales. Does somebody know if I can buy it there even if I don't want to pay the whole amount of money at once?

I can't buy it in Jessops, only by paying at once. I am not resident for three or more years. So I have to spend a lot on films, development and scanning another few months. And reduce my photography :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Hi everyone, I just bought a Panasonic Lumix DMC FX-12 online. The only problem I have is that that power cable is an American one. I'm wondering;

1) Do I just need to use a plug converter to charge it here

or

2) Should I replace the whole power lead to be on the safe side?

If this is the case, does anyone know where I could pick up one of these leads?
    Thanks in advance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Nick Carroll

Hi Besty, just a couple of things:

1) Do I just need to use a plug converter to charge it here

*** Look at the label under the power adapter. If there is a voltage range listed on it that includes 230V then you can use a plug converter safely in the UK and Ireland.

or

2) Should I replace the whole power lead to be on the safe side?

*** See above. One thing though, a lot of US cameras come with crappy little adapters that have the pins sticking out of the box, rather than a separate cable that plugs into the adapter box like we get here. If it's a case of the former, you may struggle to get a plug converter that will fit. However, if it's the latter you can plug a standard power cable (like the one off the PS2) straight into the box. These cables are available separately for next to nothing in Dixons, etc.

If all else fails, Hahnel make a Panasonic charger for your battery, costing about €60/£40.

Sorry if the response is wordy, but hopefully it got there in the end!

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭thefizz

For online supplies of film, paper and other Darkroom equipment, try www.retrophotographic.com and www.silverprint.co.uk

Lidl Specials from monday 17th September
    Callendar for 4 yo-yos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Thepost

_Brian_ wrote:

Jessop's in Dublin Closing Today.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

this could easily have been asked but is it possible to get a used nikon d40 anywhere or would it be worth it?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Sysmod

kateos2 wrote:
    this could easily have been asked but is it possible to get a used nikon d40 anywhere or would it be worth it?
    ebay.ie has prices around 400 euro

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭MartMax

Hi

I am considering to get Canon 400D Lens kit which is not badly priced on Komplett. Not as cheap as Kea but still cheaper than getting from the local shops or Argos.

Have been buying a lot of stuff from Komplett but never bought digital cameras from them. Has anyone bought camera stuff from them? What's the experience like?

Marty

Advertisement