Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Congratulations Katie Taylor

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Lollers wrote: »
    Doesn't get nearly enough recognition for what's she's achieved. I'd say she could be one of the stars of the Olympics.

I think she does.But she has every right to more.

Everyone knows who she is. she is respected far and wide amongst non boxing people. As a sports person, Katie is phenomenal, disciplined, talented,focused.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

I'm hoping to see her in the final. shes a legend!

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭jwilco

Real down to earth sports person. Alot of over paid footballers could learn a thing or two from her. All the best for the olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Lollers

I think she does.But she has every right to more.

Everyone knows who she is. she is respected far and wide amongst non boxing people. As a sports person, Katie is phenomenal, disciplined, talented,focused.

True enough, but talking to some of my female friends there seems to be a kind of snobbery because she is boxer and shock horror she is female. I've heard a lot of " that's so unfeminine, what type of female would ever do that". Not me though, I think she's fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭some random drunk

Congrats Katie! If you win an olympic medal, I'll share my hula hoops with you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

baldbear wrote: »
    I'm hoping to see her in the final. shes a legend!

She's an amazing sports woman. Huge acchievement, delighted for her.

Hope she brings home Olympic gold.

Cant wait to see her London, even if it's only on da telly :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Congrats Katie! If you win an olympic medal, I'll share my hula hoops with you.
    And there you have it.

If there was a better incentive to win an Olympic medal, I've yet to hear of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Just heard that Katie only has to win one fight to be garanteed a medal. She apparently has a bye into the quarter finals due to the seedings, and not enough boxers to make up a full round of 16. I did read some where that her catorgory is made up of only 12 competitors but cant remember where.

As with all the boxing events in the olympics, the losing semi finalists all get bronze as there is no playoff/3rd 4th place bout.
    I remember watching one of her fights on RTÉ year or two ago and Jimmy Magee making several observations about her breast...Only on RTÉ, sexist pig, right girls?

He made some kind of comment as well during her semi final, stating that we (the viewers) were all wondering if they were wearing chest protectors, I certainly wasn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Well done, Katie. You've done us all proud!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fiona

I went home to Bray tonight and saw her come into Oldcourt in the open top bus, God must have been a really good feeling for her family to see her come home. She was a couple of years below me in St Killians, lovely girl I really wish her all the best in the Olympics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

Lollers wrote: »
    True enough, but talking to some of my female friends there seems to be a kind of snobbery because she is boxer and shock horror she is female. I've heard a lot of " that's so unfeminine, what type of female would ever do that". Not me though, I think she's fantastic.

If the women who spoke such garbage about topics like this had half the courage and downright determination that Katie has, the world would be a much better place.

That kind of talk is nothing short of bitter jealousy.

I'm sure Katie is a very proud woman tonight and will no doubt have moved her thoughts onto the next challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Fantastic, you can really get an insight into what she's about looking at the interviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Fantastic, you can really get an insight into what she's about looking at the interviews.

She is very good. I hope that crazy rule about having to wear a skirt is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭J-Fit

I'm going to slightly throw the cat among the pigeons and say that while she is definitely the best in the world at what she does and fully deserves to win Olympic gold, I think women's boxing has a pretty shallow pool of talent and so her achievements aren't really comparable to those of say, Sonia O'Sullivan who excelled at a sport that is far and away more competitive than women's boxing. She IS the best woman boxer but she is nowhere near our best ever athlete but she can only fight what is put in front of her and that's not her fault. All I'm saying is the lack of depth in women's boxing makes her look more dominant and superhuman than she actually is. It's difficult to argue otherwise. I'll sit back and wait for the sh1t storm now.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

J-Fit wrote: »
    I'm going to slightly throw the cat among the pigeons and say that while she is definitely the best in the world at what she does and fully deserves to win Olympic gold, I think women's boxing has a pretty shallow pool of talent and so her achievements aren't really comparable to those of say, Sonia O'Sullivan who excelled at a sport that is far and away more competitive than women's boxing. She IS the best woman boxer but she is nowhere near our best ever athlete but she can only fight what is put in front of her and that's not her fault. All I'm saying is the lack of depth in women's boxing makes her look more dominant and superhuman than she actually is. It's difficult to argue otherwise. I'll sit back and wait for the sh1t storm now.

:rolleyes:

There's always one...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Have tickets for the final at the Olympics, so hoping she will get to it ( I do think she will) .. Will be a great atmosphere !

Naomi00 wrote: »

There's always one...

You're right, there is. But it's my opinion and I needed to express it dammit! At least I wasn't derogatory though, I feel it's a measured stance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Katie is an amazing athlete. Here she is sparring with 2008 Olympic Medallist Paddy Barnes. Neither held back, and If anything she outboxes him.

She is the greatest Irish Sportsperson of all time, in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

If she beats her competition she will. And to the rest of it you can only beat whats in front of you. And judging by the majority of her winning scorecards even if the sport was more competitive she would still be dominating.

To my mind shes one of the most successful athletes weve ever had full stop. Over the course of her career there were so many matches that she could have slipped up in or not quite been at the races and lost but her consistancy has been unbelievable.

For anyone (in any walk of life) to dominate her competitors the way she has is incredible.

For me a shoe in for the irish sports personality of the year award - regardless of how she performs in london

MrKingsley wrote: »
    If she beats her competition she will. And to the rest of it you can only beat whats in front of you.

Didn't I say that? She's still nowhere near our best. Most dominant? Yes. Best ever? No chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Apart from the boxing she is a capped Rep of Ireland player, unfortunate for the soccer she has had to pick boxing over the soccer for now, super player and super person, so unfairness she's awesome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

Apologies. Got those sleepy eyes.

Depends what context is being used though for the 'best ever' debate like you say. Certainly the most successful, absolutely the most consistent and quite possibly the most skilled at what she does. She continues on like this Id say she has a damn good shout at being our best ever athlete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Well done to her! Amazing athlete!
    Aisling Daly too!

Hopefully Daly does the business against Rosi Sexton in July!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

Fair play to Katie fully deserves it she is a top athlete.Hope she wins the gold in London.

Btw I wouldnt mind going a few rounds with her if you know what I mean!She is mint ;)

All I'm saying is the lack of depth in women's boxing makes her look more dominant and superhuman than she actually is.
    Please, the USA with a population of some 400 million and an almost insane fixation on being top dog hasn't produced a single woman able to beat her. The UK with ten times our population failed to move her off the top. You can sour-grape-whine about lack of competition as much as you like, but you better believe that nobody can just walk in off the street and win one of these fights. Very few can do it even with years or decades of training.

In terms of her ability, her attitude, and her endurance, she's an icon to be admired and respected. One of those rarest of individuals, a world beater that you'd enjoy going for a pint with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Naomi00 wrote: »

There's always one...

Yea, I think you'll find there's more than one.

As I haven't lived in Ireland in several years I have no idea who she is, but I wish her all the best. I am sure she will do the country proud no matter where she comes, although fingers crossed for a gold medal.

Looking at wikipedia now her record looks impressive over the last 6 years. Still, best ever Irish sportswoman is a stretch for the moment, although if she keeps it up the way she appears to be going then there will be no doubt about it over the next few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 inda_kenny

Please, the USA with a population of some 400 million and an almost insane fixation on being top dog hasn't produced a single woman able to beat her. The UK with ten times our population failed to move her off the top. You can sour-grape-whine about lack of competition as much as you like, but you better believe that nobody can just walk in off the street and win one of these fights. Very few can do it even with years or decades of training.

In terms of her ability, her attitude, and her endurance, she's an icon to be admired and respected. One of those rarest of individuals, a world beater that you'd enjoy going for a pint with.

katie is a star but i think it may be the case that amateur boxing is not followed widely in the usa when it comes to international competition , watch any olympics and the top nations are cuba , russia and china , the usa is pretty invisible , compare that with professional boxing and it dominates

inda_kenny wrote: »
    katie is a star but i think it may be the case that amateur boxing is not followed widely in the usa when it comes to international competition , watch any olympics and the top nations are cuba , russia and china , the usa is pretty invisible , compare that with professional boxing and it dominates
    And yet she managed a dinner with the Obamas. At their request.

Please, the USA with a population of some 400 million and an almost insane fixation on being top dog hasn't produced a single woman able to beat her. The UK with ten times our population failed to move her off the top.

Don't know enough about boxing to argue this but it's still a shallow talent pool (only 12 in the Olympics?). Geographical location really doesn't have a bearing on this. She's a genetically gifted athlete that happened to be born on this island.
    You can sour-grape-whine about lack of competition as much as you like

No sour grapes here, I can assure you of that. A great athlete and a great Irish person.
    You better believe that nobody can just walk in off the street and win one of these fights. Very few can do it even with years or decades of training.

I DO believe that. Doesn't mean the talent pool isn't shallow and it's nowhere near as competitive as athletics etc. Nothing changes.

No argument there.

Much of what you've said there, I never even disputed. She's the best in the world, but in that sport, that is not the same as being the world's fastest man or the world's highest jumper or winning three major golf championships.

• Advertisement

And yet she managed a dinner with the Obamas. At their request.

That says nothing.

Advertisement