Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cult in Galway

• 16-08-2011 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭

Is anyone aware of or has any knowledge the cult detailed in the following links. Some crazy stuff going on their at the moment. It's amazing that this is happening right on our doorstep. Apparently this group are based in Briarhill

http://en.wordpress.com/tag/faith-movement-abundant-life/

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I was sure you meant An Taisce :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Jaysus they must be an ancient cult if they're still using wordpress.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Now I'm not the most church loving man but this is ott.
    Do you have more info on why this particular organisation is "dangerous".
    Dangerous to whom and how?

I need a proper written OP with refs to more reliable sources than some blog posts that could be anyone's opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Where are the black robes and the ritual sacrifices?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Cult, catholic, all much of a muchness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,651 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Spooky ... my "Other churches" map seems to have totally disappeared. Maybe a cult zapped it 'cos they aren't happy with me telling ye where to find 'em!

Anyways ...

Abundant Life are one of the more evangelical churches. I'm not overly fond of some of their approaches or theology. But dangerous cult? Nah .... at least not based on what I've seen of 'em overseas. I think they're behind the Christian Camp of the Arts, that some people here have spoken highly of.

I'm pretty sure they used to be in the Tower House in Liosbán, but from their website (http://www.abundantlife.ie/) it does look like they've moved to Briarhill Business Park.

biko wrote: »
    Now I'm not the most church loving man but this is ott.
    I always thought your modding style owed a lot to Torquemada himself Biko. He was THE man! :p

"Be Pure Be Vigilant Behave"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Depends what you mean by 'crazy stuff' OP... It is an evangelical church funded by the US churches and by church goers here.. there are personal issues with the Pastor that seem to have made headlines on that dialogue wordpress site. Their camp for kids is massively successful....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

JustMary wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they used to be in the Tower House in Liosbán, but from their website (http://www.abundantlife.ie/) it does look like they've moved to Briarhill Business Park.

Why do religions always have such crap websites? Case in point...
    http://www.dokimos.org/ajff/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

My eyes!! Been blinded instead of healed goddammit!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,814 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Anyone remember the Children of God ? Their young female followers were told to do anything necessary, including bonking, to get new recruits. My mate, a devout atheist, made the most of the situation :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I have'nt had a Jehovah's Witness call to my door since the nineties :(

snubbleste wrote: »
    I have'nt had a Jehovah's Witness call to my door since the nineties :(

My Postman is a JW. I asked him why he had never preached in the village as I know that he does elsewhere. He smiled at said that "you don't crap on your own doorstep !"

We were laughing that the lads dressed up in their race suits looked like JW's !

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    I always thought your modding style owed a lot to Torquemada himself Biko. He was THE man! :p

"Be Pure Be Vigilant Behave"

2000AD fan Sponge Bob ?

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    2000AD fan Sponge Bob ?
    "[SIZE=+1]There is only one crime I am guilty of... Being too merciful!"[/SIZE]

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

In the past, I attended Abundant Life church on about 6 Sundays, out of desperation because I didn't like what I found in any other church around town and because, at the time, they probably had the most uplifting church music in Galway.

On the positive side, I have also read good things here about their Christian camp.

However, on each of those Sundays without exception, the sermon was heavily centred on the theme of the giving of money to church. I tried to ignore the highly pressured calls for money and just derive some spiritual benefit from the music, but eventually found the whole money-pressure thing so outrageous and unChristian that I have not returned since. I should add that, at the time, I was a generous financial giver (though never to Abundant Life).

Google the term "prosperity gospel": that's what was taught there during my time attending. I would entirely agree with OP that, like the Catholic Church and many other churches, it is cultish in that its teachings were askew.

I am only surprised that the proverbial didn't hit the fan a long time ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Don't know about their financial aims but I know a woman in their Limerick branch and she's nice enough, very religious but never tried to force it on anyone. In some ways I admire her faith, but what is life without doubt?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

DOUGAL: God Ted I heard about those cults. Everybody dressing in black and saying our Lord is going to come back and judge us all.

TED: No, no Dougal that's us. That's Catholicism you're talking about there.

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Discodog wrote: »
    Anyone remember the Children of God ? Their young female followers were told to do anything necessary, including bonking, to get new recruits. My mate, a devout atheist, made the most of the situation :D

Tell us more...Thinking of changing religion :D

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Hannah2011

In the past, I attended Abundant Life church on about 6 Sundays, out of desperation because I didn't like what I found in any other church around town and because, at the time, they probably had the most uplifting church music in Galway.

On the positive side, I have also read good things here about their Christian camp.

However, on each of those Sundays without exception, the sermon was heavily centred on the theme of the giving of money to church. I tried to ignore the highly pressured calls for money and just derive some spiritual benefit from the music, but eventually found the whole money-pressure thing so outrageous and unChristian that I have not returned since. I should add that, at the time, I was a generous financial giver (though never to Abundant Life).

Google the term "prosperity gospel": that's what was taught there during my time attending. I would entirely agree with OP that, like the Catholic Church and many other churches, it is cultish in that its teachings were askew.

I am only surprised that the proverbial didn't hit the fan a long time ago.

I'm sorry to hear that you had that experience as that's the last thing you want when you go to church!! I'd have to say - although I haven't attended this particular church, I wouldn't have any worries about it being a 'cult' It's sort of based on the American 'Super' churches and Hillsong style which are not that successful in Ireland I don't think. I have heard a lady from their Bradford church speak and she was awesome, not a bit about money and very inspiring.

There are lots of strange churches around in Ireland trying to pretend to be something they're not, but I really don't think abundant life is one of them, it's very evangelical yes and charismatic but that's just a different style to what most are used to or indeed comfortable with.

• Advertisement

Tell us more...Thinking of changing religion :D

The Children of God changed their name to The Family:

"Adult members may have sex with any other adult member of the opposite sex, and are encouraged to do so, regardless of marital status, as a way to foster unity and combat loneliness of those "in need". This was commonly called "sharing", or in some cases "sacrificial sex".

They also want your money - what a surprise !

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭gaillimheach

In relation to The Family, google "Flirty Fishing".

Below is a link to the holiday home in Spain owned by the pastor of Abundant Life. In one of the photos is that a glimpse of the pastor himself enjoying the Abundant Life in his swanky Spanish abode?

http://www.holidayhomeads.com/Rent-beautiful-house-in-moraira-spain

I dare someone here to contact him via the link above and ask if he owns a yacht in the marina.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I found a lima bean in the shape of Pastor Kevin.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,651 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Hannah2011 wrote: »
    There are lots of strange churches around in Ireland trying to pretend to be something they're not, but I really don't think abundant life is one of them, ....

Tell us more?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

I thought the only cult in Galway was the 'Buckie/Spanish Arch' one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

dmcg90 wrote: »
    I thought the only cult in Galway was the 'Buckie/Spanish Arch' one.

That's not a cult... It's a way of life!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Don't know about their financial aims but I know a woman in their Limerick branch and she's nice enough, very religious but never tried to force it on anyone. In some ways I admire her faith, but what is life without doubt?

Abundant Life in Limerick City are in no way connected to Abundant Life Galway (who are a sister church of a mega church in Texas with the same name).

Abundant Life Limerick is actually an Assemblies of God Church (like St. Mark's in Dublin, Corner Stone in Derry, Discovery Church in Galway etc) and have an entirely different theology and focus than Abundant Life Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

OP i'm looking to join a cult, would you recommend these people

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

they get them for free

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

Seaneh wrote: »
    Abundant Life in Limerick City are in no way connected to Abundant Life Galway (who are a sister church of a mega church in Texas with the same name).

Abundant Life Limerick is actually an Assemblies of God Church (like St. Mark's in Dublin, Corner Stone in Derry, Discovery Church in Galway etc) and have an entirely different theology and focus than Abundant Life Galway.

Also Abundant Life in Bradford England are completely separate as well.

Advertisement