Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Post 1850 structure in tidal waters, Galway

• 02-05-2014 9:46am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭

A very interesting Victorian construction in the waters of a county Galway tidal lough. Online information is very scarce.
    I stumbled across a fairly sophisticated bit of 19th century civil engineering. Google doesn't seem to know about it, and I haven't been able to find any examples of similar structures. I'd be pleased to hear any insight you geographers might be able to offer.

Photo & details:
    http://scruggler.livejournal.com/7113.html
    (Original posted in the Geography forum here)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Oyster/Mussel farming seems like most likely purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

There are a serious amount of allotments / tithe applotments in the area around this structure. This is evident on the older maps. It only makes sense then, if there is going to be a concentration of labour in this area in the production of food that all local resourses would be utilised, this natural pond area being ideal for the cultivation of oysters / mussels / limpets.

It is the most likely of the options for the structures and might even have taken in a sluice at the lowest outflow point but it also appears that this was never completed, there is no evidence of capping to the structure.

The amount of work already invested in this structure is vast, it is not easy putting foundations in for this and would probably have meant going to loadbearing rock for the entire length of the wall. This is evident as the structure has predominantly retained its integrity even after this length of time. Not completing a structure like this would only have come about if there was a serious change in one or more of the leading factors driving the need for its construction in the first instance, abundant labour force, need for variety of food, the need for the structure or the leading force in its construction. My guess is that the great famine interrupted the construction of this structure, but that's just speculation.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

I think it's a post-famine construction but could be wrong. The op made some local enquiries and was told that the structure was connected with lobster farming. The cavity is believed to have contained chalk which was involved in the process somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

slowburner wrote: »
    I think it's a post-famine construction but could be wrong. The op made some local enquiries and was told that the structure was connected with lobster farming. The cavity is believed to have contained chalk which was involved in the process somehow.

That's very interesting, I would love to know more about how the volumes and methods of supplying the chalk, the channel looks very narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Simon.d

The bing image Reminds me of the land reclamation that went on in the 19th century in Tramore, Co. Waterford: http://binged.it/1o83Cxq

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭pueblo

slowburner wrote: »
    The cavity is believed to have contained chalk which was involved in the process somehow.

Not 100% sure but I think the chalk would have been used to increase the alkalinity of the water.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

pueblo wrote: »
    Not 100% sure but I think the chalk would have been used to increase the alkalinity of the water.
    I know next to nothing about lobster farming but this is a limestone area (I think) and would have a fairly high pH already? Maybe it's something to do with the need for calcium in the formation of the carapace?

Advertisement