Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tara

Options
  • 07-03-2014 11:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Can anybody shed a little light on the pits at the end of the " Banquet Hall " on Tara Hill.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Surely somebody can enlighten me,
    Or am I asking stupid question?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,544 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Wakeman_Plan_of_Tara.png

I think you are referring to Dall and Dorcha?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭cfuserkildare

Wakeman_Plan_of_Tara.png

I think you are referring to Dall and Dorcha?

Hey Mate,

I am referring to the other end of the " Old Hall"

15feet plus in depth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Sultan of Swing

Hey Mate,

I am referring to the other end of the " Old Hall"

15feet plus in depth.

The image below is a hill-shaded model of the Teach Midhchúarta.It appears in Conor Newman's 'Tara - An Archaeological survey'(Discovery Programme Monographs 2).The 'pits' at the northern terminus(although it hasn't been definitively proved that there was a terminus there by the survey) would appear to be modern quarrying.How modern - late or post medieval - I'm not sure?O'Donovan(1836) refers to a passage from the description of the 'Banqueting Hall' contained in the prose of the Dindsenchas which states that the 'northern end of it is enclosed and small',suggesting that the northern end may have had a terminal too.

Advertisement