Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Restaurant Guide

Options
  • 18-09-2002 12:25pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I believe it would be handy to have a restaurant guide of some sort....
    what do ya think Kayos?

last night I and the other half went to El Bahia, a Moroccan Restaurant on Wicklow St. (I think/not sure) on the right hand side of that road almost facing Tower Records. You have to look out for a red door, as it is on the second and third floor of the building.
    it's a real taste of Morocco, decoration, lamps, music...
    the weekends are very busy in this restaurant and there are two sittings on Friday and Sat. night (I hate that!) you have to book well in advance, I advise to go during the week, as you can sit there as long as you like.
    It is owned by an Moroccan and he tries to keep it as authentic as possible.
    To start, to wash your hands, you are brought out a large jug and basin, they pour sented water over you hands. nice :)

We had the cous cous royal which was delicious and so big I couldn't finish it. We had moroccan red wine with the meal, La Curvee President I believe it was called, very tasty.
    and to finish, moroccan coffee, a very unusual taste which I really liked.
    The bill came to 64 eurons which is as good as you're gonna get in this ridiculously overpriced town of ours.
    Highly recommended
    Tel: 01 - 677 02 13

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Yep I agree alright.

I'll trow up a kinda template to follow for reviews and make the thread a sticky once I have the time. One thing I do not want to see any slanderous (excuse spelling) remarks about any resturants being reviewed!!

kayos

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

Here's another one:

The Green Onion Cafe
    The Old Town Hall
    Rutland Street
    Limerick

One of the most colourful restaurants I've been in recently, with good sounds and friendly staff, were my initial impressions.
    We had booked a table but it really was not necessary as the restaurant was about two thirds full (this was a Tuesday).
    However, I'm told that things get hectic on weekends so a reservation is best.

Now onto the food:
    As we were perusing the menu we got the usual basket of bread which is always handy. I tried the savoury walnut bread and it was tasty, fresh and kept stomach tame whilst we awaited our starters, what more can I say about bread?

For starters I decided upon the Clonakilty black pudding with a red onion marmalade and my dining partner decided upon the chicken caesar salad.
    My Clonakilty black pudding arrived with a filo pastry "skin" to keep it together and was delicious, quite hot (spicy). The sweet red onion marmalade was the perfect partner, providing just the right clash of flavours.
    I tried some of the caesar salad and it was nice too, but nothing about it was remarkable, just like any other caesar salad I've had.
    It was perhaps a fraction too big for a starter.

Main courses; I decided upon the sirloin steak (medium) with a port wine and shallot jus and she had some more chicken, in the shape of fajitas.
    The steak was done just as I asked and was of good flavour and quality, accompanied by mash and nice crunchy greens.
    I did not try some chicken fajita but there was certainly plenty, two huge fajitas brimful of breast, peppers and onions with a side dish of salsa and sour cream, which she was unable to finish.
    I'm told they were "delicious".

Being the pig that I am, I had to have the heaviest dessert on the menu, sticky toffee pudding. I was very impressed, particularly with the butterscotch sauce, scrumptious!
    Madam had the ever so boring ice cream selection as she was afraid of bursting out of the size 8 party dress if she ate anything heavier :p

The bill came to exactly €70 with a brandy and ginger ale and a bacardi and coke but no wine.
    No service charge so I left a tip (as I always do).

All fairly positive with one minor exception, one of our young waitresses did not know the difference between fillet steak and sirloin steak, I was brought a main course belonging to someone else which caused a bit of flapping when they realised what they had done (just as well I had not started tucking in!).
    I think she was new to the game as I got the impression she was unsure when I was asking her about the steak sauces, so I'm prepared to put it down to inexperience.

To summarise, well worth a visit if you are living in or visiting Limerick and I'll certainly be back.
    8 out of 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

My favourite place is now dead, it was Ayumiya on Newtownpark avenue, Blackrock. (japanese - freshest crunchiest and tastiest bits and bobs ever :)

atm the Sichuan restaurant on the Lower Kilmacud road (next door to the local - Dicey Reilly's formerly the Mill House has to be one of the best chinese meals I've had, although quite pricey :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

My Recommendations:

No 1:

A relatively new restaurant in Rathmines:

Name: Manifesto (Formerly Dollar Bills Premises)
    Type: Italian
    Service: Excellent
    Food: Excellent
    Price: Reasonable

Food Recommendations:

Get the Monkfish if they have it on the specials list as its fantastic.
    Escollops pf Monkfish wrapped in bacon and served with tagliatelle in a saffron sauce and a side salad. It is absolutely divine....

Good for a nice romantic meal out with the other half, small restaurant with a nice atmosphere. Only a wine licence though..

No 2:

Name: Chao Bella Parliment St
    Type: Italian
    Service: V Good
    Food: Excellent
    Price: Very Reasonable

Food Recommendations:

They do fabulous pizza's.. with cream and everything on them. Great for a cheap and cheerful meal with a group of friends. Full licence too...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

ATM, I enjoy the Pearl Brasserie in Merrion St since it's very handy for where I'm working.

Go before 7pm and you can avail of the early bird menu which comes in at just €20 a head. Service is exceptional and the food is very good. Excellent oysters and there's always an ambitious special posted at the entrance, usually an interesting fish seafood dish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

My favourite place of all time is Tante Zoes on Crowe Street. It's a Cajun/Creole restaraunt. The atmosphere is nice, the staff are friendly, the service is quick and the food is both reasonably priced and gorgeous. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone. Their Surf and Turf is amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 writeaccess

www.adlib.ie is a good restuarant guide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

While in Dublin a few years back for a graduation in the family, we later went for a meal in Kiely's of Donnybrook.

I think its worth the mention that it was superb.

The food is fantastic, the staff continuously friendly, the atmosphere remarkable, and the prices (mind you it was the folks who paid) is reasonable enough for the quality of meal you receive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭johnnynolegs

Best place in Dublin has to be 101 Talbot on , surprise surprise, Talbot Street

lovely food good service and a different menu everyday i would highly recommend it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

its ages since i've been there but escape in bray (vegetarian place) was absolutely excellent

i'm glad i reminded myself of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭polarbelly

i was at spi on the quays yesterday for lunch and i was really really impressed, nice bar, if not a bit yuppy

i got thai chicken, with noodles and rice...really tasty (noodles were a wee bit dry but that was my only criticism)

we were having a pint too and i was the only one eating but they gave us a bowl of potato wedges to munch on during our pint which i thought was a nice touch...

came to €8 i think, might be wrong but it was well worth it anyway

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by TacT
    My favourite place is now dead, it was Ayumiya on Newtownpark avenue, Blackrock. (japanese - freshest crunchiest and tastiest bits and bobs ever :)

don't they own yamamori/aya now (i can't remember which)
    nyom!

• Registered Users Posts: 25 clipper

yiz are all so very very wrong. best place in town is the surprisingly little-known surma on camden st.
    incredible indian food...and well worth the cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭seveb

what are the best places to eat in cork city & surrounding areas & why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ArwenEvenstar

I'm still a fan of Bullys in Cork...even though they have jacked up the prices in recent times. Its beside paul st carpark/shopping center.
    Very nice place.

Other places.... Trastevere in the 'Bar, and elephant and castle are rather nice..

In waterford.. Emilianos and La Palma for Italian, Johnny Fans for Chinese. Chez K's for steak and seafood.
    Pub grub - The Gingerman.

Tramore has Asila...which is a great spot, and has some of the best food ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭SoundWave

i gotta agree with clipper, surma rocks,.....but if you want pizza then millers on baggot street is the best in my opinion, they do the very best garlic bread with cheese in the whole world... and some pretty stunning gourmet pizzas too. def worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Cian

Originally posted by seveb
    what are the best places to eat in cork city & surrounding areas & why?

Had an absolutely fantastic meal in Citron, Douglas, bit pricey though :) great service, great atmosphere, food was fantastic.

Also had another fantastic meal in Pi , dont know where it is but it is near UCC iirc, shark steak :) Again, a bit pricey. IMHO the 2 classiest places to go in Cork.

Also in douglas... KC's, the best chipper anywhere.... order the salsa wrap thingehs.... and bring 'em into the late show in the cinema across the way :)

BTW I not a corkonian and I've never lived there.. I have relatives with taste!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

Here's a few in Galway.....

The old school house in Clarenbridge is excellent.
    Cookes beside CP's is also very good (but expensive).
    Pierre Victour in quay street is excellent and very good value.
    I'd also recommend Milano's for Italian/Pizza.

Lastly the new Chinese (where Sean Louchnanes used to be) is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭Sandi

I love Luigi Malones in Temple Bar (sorry, coming back to Dublin again!) The chicken fajitas are tops and the house wine is lovely.
    I agree with Polarbelly about the veggie restaurant in Bray. I'm not a veggie and I've only been there once but it's a lovely cozy place and the food is lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

Originally posted by ArwenEvenstar
    I'm still a fan of Bullys in Cork...even though they have jacked up the prices in recent times. Its beside paul st carpark/shopping center.
    Very nice place.

Other places.... Trastevere in the 'Bar, and elephant and castle are rather nice..

In waterford.. Emilianos and La Palma for Italian, Johnny Fans for Chinese. Chez K's for steak and seafood.
    Pub grub - The Gingerman.

Tramore has Asila...which is a great spot, and has some of the best food ever.

Good call Arwen! Elephant & Castle is brilliany - especially the chicken wings. Gingerman is good too - if a bit pricy. I think the best pub grup in Dublin is a big roast dinner in O'Neills on Suffolk St. Hard to beat on a Sunday afternoon!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭mavedic

Originally posted by Sandi
    I love Luigi Malones in Temple Bar (sorry, coming back to Dublin again!) The chicken fajitas are tops and the house wine is lovely.

I'd have to agree with Sandi on this one. The cocktails are amazing (although a little pricy), and the servings are nice large sizes. Good atmosphere, and service as well. Great for parties. Luigi Malones is one of my favourite restaurants in Dublin.

Also I think it is O'Connells restaurant in Bewleys Hotel in Ballsbridge is delicious. Nicest desserts I've ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭therannu

You gotta love Bewley's - it's a pity they're all shutting down. Now, someone mentioned a good chipper in Douglas (Cork). Have never been there, but having lived all over the country and had my favourites in Limerick, Dublin and Galway I just have to say: BELIEVE THE HYPE ABOUT JACKIE LENNOX'S ON THE BANDON ROAD! As regards Pi, you'll find that in Washington street. I was also very impressed with lunch in the Rochestown Inn on Wednesday - a scorcher of a day, the sun beating down on my back, and the best chicken tikka sandwich ever. There was so much saucy filling that I was glad to be eating alone, due to the gunge spreading all over my face. Excellent service, and the price blew me away (too long in Dublin, evidently).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

I recently had dinner with a group of workmates in Trocaderos on either Wexford or Wicklow St in Dublin (can't remember :o). The atmosphere was nice but the waiter we had was so slimy. And he wasn't in much of a rush either. The food was nice but not worth the high price.
    I'd highly recommend Roly's Bistro in Ballsbridge. Excellent service and food, clean, bright, airy restaurant and absolutely affordable menu.
    I had lunch in Kite's in Ballsbridge today actually, again highly recommended. It's a chinese restaurant, the food was suberb, beautifully presented and excellent service. The lunchtime menu was only €18, great price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭flyz

Here are my few suggestions anyway :

Café Paradiso in Cork , it's at the top of washington street opposite Jurys ( or is that western road). It's a veggie place and it's slightly pricey, 18 yoyos for main course. But it's yummy! (and I'm not a vegetarian). Plus the service is top notch. It's a restaurant that's on my special occasions list :cool:

Ruen Thai Restaurant in Tower (by Blarney) It's close to home, never busy and the food is always excellent. They have another one in Cork city but I've never been there.

Atheneon in Limerick it's a Greek restaurant on Steamboat Quay by Schooners.
    Yet again the food is excellent and the service is brilliant. I've been there a handful of times and I've always come away a happy camper :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

Good site for restaurants in Ieland iswww.adlib.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Waterford- I like Poppy's which is situated opposite the Peoples Park, it's a little bit on the pricy side but the food, service and atmosphere is very high quality. If you're looking for a nice little spot to get a budget meal in Waterford, try Sizzlers on the Quay. The price is reasonable, the service is friendly and very quick and the menu is quite extensive.

Offaly-Try Anatolia's if you are looking for a good restaurant in Tullamore. The Castle in Tyrellspass is also quite nice, though pricy. It would suit a special occasion, as it's small and intimate. I definitely recommend Annagharvey farm on the Geashill Road from Tullamore. They have a lovely restaurant and guest house and incidentally, they also have a fantastic equestrian centre, for anyone who wants to take lessons before a nice meal!! :) Senor Rico's serves the best Italian food in Tullamore, the only drawback to this restaurant is that's it's quite small and can sometimes be overcrowded. However, the quality of every other aspect more than makes up for this.

Wexford- I've eaten out in Wexford a few times, the Alamo in the Riverside Hotel in Enniscorthy serves Mexican food, really delicious stuff and very affordable. The service was quite poor until recently when I think the management changed hands and a big improvement was evident. I'd highly recommend the Oak Tavern in Ferrycarrig, Wexford. It's situated on the river, the views are nice and the food is 5 star. Nice atmosphere and decor with friendly service. I believe the Farmers Kitchen is very popular, though I've never eaten there.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭crowbar

wow, only one mention of a thai restaurant so far in this thread, amazing! thai food has got to be one of my most favourite styles, which you seem to be able to get everywhere in the world. (it is much better in thailand though :-)

in dublin i quite like diep le shaker, behind the pembroke pub off baggot st lower. fairly expensive, but the food was nice and spicy last time i was there. the chilli club on anne's lane is delicious too, possibly the best in dublin. but definitely book ahead as it's tiny. you'll have fewer problems with bookings in the bangkok cafe on parnell st, it's funny having to knock on the door to get in though! some friends who went there recently thought it used to be better though.

people recommend baan thai in ballsbridge, but i've never managed to get a booking.

for a quick indian lunch, you can't beat the lunchtime menu at khan's in donnybrook. €10 for a very decent curry, chickpeas and rice. they recognise us there now, and make our jalfrezis a little bit hotter! for dinner, they let you bring your own wine - a brilliant concept that is sooo foreign here ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 274 ✭✭dsab

I think I tried all Thai Restaurants in Dublin, because my gf is Thai. And by far the best and most authentic is SIAM in Monkstown. Very nice food, and good service.

Almost as good as food in BKK (where I spend about 4 months a year).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭bug

Topolis in Parliament Street, Italien, incredibly reasonable, great for groups.

• Advertisement

Strada in Tullow st Carlow.
    Yum yum :)

Nice decor too , everyone friendly and not expensive.
    Also BYO wine is allowed.

mm

Advertisement