Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Yes it looks like it will be a dedicated two lane slip road for M28 northbound to N40 westbound. The northbound merge from the Rochestown road up to the interchange looks like it will only allow a N40 westbound movement? Graphics in the leaflet are very poor, they should also publish drawings showing the layout from Carr's hill to Bloomfield, its hard to get an overall picture from the snapshots of the junctions they have provided.

The Rochestown slip North bound will still be the same. It will just merge with the new carriageway going westbound. All movements will still be catered for.

An interesting solution which I wasn't expecting.

Douglas flyover is going to be chaos. I really hope they are working on plans to widen it to 3 lanes in each direction.

Actually, after viewing on google maps, the additional carriageway will have to result in the CPO of upwards of 40 houses from various Douglas housing estates. The picture below doesn't even take in most of them. Very interested to see if this will go ahead.

This additional carriageway will definitely result in the closure of the Maryborough on slip.

1ypfyp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Actually, after viewing on google maps, the additional carriageway will have to result in the CPO of upwards of 40 houses from various Douglas housing estates. The picture below doesn't even take in most of them. Very interested to see if this will go ahead.

This additional carriageway will definitely result in the closure of the Maryborough on slip.

1ypfyp.png

This is going to cause a lot of disruption.

I thought the original plan was to bypass Carrs Hill, Shanbally and Ringaskiddy.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

I don't think it will be as drastic as knocking 40 houses. There's room enough to build a retaining wall against the bottom of those gardens and squeeze the extra two lanes in. It'll be tight, but it is doable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Interesting set of proposals. I can see why they want to remove access to the N28 from just beyond Broadale, will be a bit of a pain for anyone living there but it has to be done really. If this goes ahead I can see it providing some relief to traffic infested Douglas as fewer journeys should require going through there (theoretically at least).

Anyone got any idea when this will all kick off? I'm assuming not for another 2-3 years as a bare minimum anyway. If it's an EU requirement for it to be motorway as part of the TEN-T funding does this mean the motorway will in fact go all the way down to Ringaskiddy?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭marmurr1916

marno21 wrote: »
    A lot of upgrading to be done means some roads should be downgraded too (eg. N83, N84, N87) but that's for another thread.

Newbies! :rolleyes: :D

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=64252819

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Does anyone know, is the existing bridge on Maryborough Hill over the N28 going to be wide enough for the M28 under it or will it have to be demolished and rebuilt?

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

kub wrote: »
    Does anyone know, is the existing bridge on Maryborough Hill over the N28 going to be wide enough for the M28 under it or will it have to be demolished and rebuilt?

I reckon you could fit two lanes each way without any hard shoulder but probably not motorway standard. Maybe there's some way they could adapt it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What's the split in the route north of the Carigaline roundabout on the http://www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com/Route-Corridor-Ortho.pdf

What's the split in the route north of the Carigaline roundabout on the http://www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com/Route-Corridor-Ortho.pdf

The split is where you exit to head to Carrigaline or merge towards the city coming from Carrigaline

• Advertisement

A lot of residents getting very angry about the potential closure of Maryborough slip.

I don't think they fully understand what's happening though and how potentially there may not be any space even for the slip.

moyners wrote: »
    The split is where you exit to head to Carrigaline or merge towards the city coming from Carrigaline

But there's another junction indicated almost at Carrigaline, pretty much where the existing Roundabout is.

But there's another junction indicated almost at Carrigaline, pretty much where the existing Roundabout is.

My reading of it is the roundabout is staying with the motorway passing over on a flyover. The flyover is what's marked i think.

I wonder is it an access only junction towards Cork from Carrigaline, with exit to Carrigaline at the northern exit?

Anyway, the entire rational for this having to be a motorway seems odd, when the last section before the port has a footpath drawn in on its cross section.

I wonder is it an access only junction towards Cork from Carrigaline, with exit to Carrigaline at the northern exit?

Anyway, the entire rational for this having to be a motorway seems odd, when the last section before the port has a footpath drawn in on its cross section.

mwfzaw.png
    (posted by Augustusminimus earlier in the thread)

There was a closer view in the original plan (i don't think this section has changed apart from going through the quarry instead of around)

The very last section won't be motorway but will pretty much enter the port complex from the western side. I think it will be fine as most of the non-port traffic will have filtered off by that point. They wouldn't have the space to fully dual it at the final section but it really is a very short segment of the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Maryborough Hill residents not happy with proposed slip closure.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/closing-slip-roads-would-be-lunacy/1171517/
    REMOVING slip roads off planned M28 road to Ringaskiddy could add up to an hour on the daily commute of residents in theMaryborough and Mount Oval areas, a meeting was told last night.

More than 100 people packed the Garryduff Sports Centre to discuss plans for the proposed motorway, which will close off important sliproads from Maryborough and Mount Oval.

Residents and politicians said they felt the Port of Cork was put before the public in the planning of the new road.

mikeym wrote: »

I don't think they realise that a 400m drive up the road to Maryborough Ridge will get them onto the M28. That and the fact that unlike now, they will also be able to come off the M28 at this junction too.

The claim that the change would add an hour each way onto a Marborough resident's daily commute is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Due to various issues with junction design at Bloomfield and issues with weaving, using Carr's Hill under the new setup will most likely be quicker than using the Maryborough slip now which has traffic constantly backed up in the mornings.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I don't think they realise that a 400m drive up the road to Maryborough Ridge will get them onto the M28. That and the fact that unlike now, they will also be able to come off the M28 at this junction too.

The claim that the change would add an hour each way onto a Marborough resident's daily commute is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read. Due to various issues with junction design at Bloomfield and issues with weaving, using Carr's Hill under the new setup will most likely be quicker than using the Maryborough slip now which has traffic constantly backed up in the mornings.
    Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe it. Can't see why anyone in the area would object to any of the plans as the benefits the M28 brings far outweighs the cons of closing that slip

Like when the N21 Adare-Abbeyfeale scheme was proposed and vehemently objected to as apparently the entire economy of West Limerick is based upon the sale of soft drinks, coffee, petrol and sandwiches to passers by, yet the same locals don't see the benefits of being able to actually move around their towns/villages in the evenings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Schadenfreudia

marno21 wrote: »
    Ridiculous doesn't even begin to describe it. Can't see why anyone in the area would object to any of the plans as the benefits the M28 brings far outweighs the cons of closing that slip

Like when the N21 Adare-Abbeyfeale scheme was proposed and vehemently objected to as apparently the entire economy of West Limerick is based upon the sale of soft drinks, coffee, petrol and sandwiches to passers by, yet the same locals don't see the benefits of being able to actually move around their towns/villages in the evenings.

Yeah, as the failure to build the road affects everyone trying to get from Kerry to Limerick/Dublin I wonder would a call to boycott all those shops and petrol stations along the section knock some sense into the local business community? :D

Slogan could be "You are taking half an hour longer to get home because 20 shops owners want to force you to stop".

Though I'm sure a PR person could make it snappier....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

mikeym wrote: »

A small bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

11 junctions in 13km? Hmm, yes, strategic motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

It's ~20k from Bloomflield Interchange to Ringaskiddy terminal, according to google maps.
    So 11 Junctions, 20k. Not that far off the M50's 17 junctions in 45km. Just sayin.

It's ~20k from Bloomflield Interchange to Ringaskiddy terminal, according to google maps.
    So 11 Junctions, 20k. Not that far off the M50's 17 junctions in 45km. Just sayin.

M1
    N2
    N3
    N4
    N7
    N81
    N11

vs

N40

And there's only 16 on the M50, there's no J8

Victor wrote: »
    11 junctions in 13km? Hmm, yes, strategic motorway.

How are you counting 11 junctions?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

moyners wrote: »
    How are you counting 11 junctions?

Count the dots on the map + the one on the N40 http://www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com/Route-Corridor-Ortho.pdf
    Google is calculating it as 12.7km https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/51.8313429,-8.3090851/51.8798852,-8.4205863/@51.8693861,-8.4210105,12z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

12.7/11 = 1.15km between junctions
    45/17 = 2.64km between junctions

However, comparing a ring road with more than a million people within 5km with a port access route with a few ships per day at the end of it is hardly meaningful. A big part of the N28 is to provide a commuter route.

There are only 8 junctions on the route.

The 2nd and 3rd dots refer to junctions which are being closed. You've also counted 2 dots where there is only one junction.

In addition, the last 2 dots are junctions where the road will Ni longer be motorway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭hans aus dtschl

Victor wrote: »
    Count the dots on the map + the one on the N40 http://www.n28cork-ringaskiddy.com/Route-Corridor-Ortho.pdf

Google is calculating it as 12.7km https://www.google.ie/maps/dir/51.8313429,-8.3090851/51.8798852,-8.4205863/@51.8693861,-8.4210105,12z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

12.7/11 = 1.15km between junctions
    45/17 = 2.64km between junctions

However, comparing a ring road with more than a million people within 5km with a port access route with a few ships per day at the end of it is hardly meaningful. A big part of the N28 is to provide a commuter route.

You wrote "11 junctions in 13km? Hmm, yes, strategic motorway."

AKA, how can a strategic motorway have so many junctions in a short distance.

My counter-point was that the M50 is definitely a strategic motorway, yet has many junctions in a relatively short distance also.

If you want to change your argument to "nowhere outside of intercity needs to be motorway status" fine, but that's not the point you made.

I'm not sure how my Google maps managed to map it wrongly for me, my apologies on that one. Perhaps it did something to avoid traffic (15.00 on a Friday).

Just wondering but did anyone question the updated Bloomfield Interchange with engineers at recent Resident - Engineer meetings.

I'm very interested to see how they'll wedge in another 2 lane carriageway as part of the interchange.

Anyone know when the final decision is being made on junction layout?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

It seems there is continuing opposition to the changes being proposed for Carr's Hill. A motorway is not meant to do what the residents want it to do.

http://www.eveningecho.ie/cork-news/survey-shows-opposition-to-controversial-carrs-hill-interchange/1506808/

Advertisement