Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M28 - Cork to Ringaskiddy [advance works pending; 2024 start]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

One thing I cannot understand.

The section from Bloomfield Interchange to the bridge carrying Maryborough Hill over the N28. Why wasn't this built to dual carriageway standard back in the day.

I'm not sure if the bridge for Maryborough Hill is wide enough to allow dual carriageway under it. Certainly will be very tight. No chance of a hard shoulder that's for sure.

The extra spend to have gone this would have been minimal back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭DerMutt

Just saw this on Facebook!
    Carrigdhoun Newspaper
    Cllr Lombard Breaks Huge News For Carrigaline-Ringaskiddy Area.
    Cllr Tim Lombard has welcomed the news that the N28 Motorway is to be built between The Bloomfield Interchange and Ringaskiddy with plans for Compulsory Purchase Orders to begin next year. Cllr Lombard said, "This is a huge investment for the area and will provide massive opportunity for economic growth and jobs both locally and nationally"
    See The Carrigdhoun Newspaper print edition for more in the coming weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

Pre Qual for Consultants to review existing EIS and update it was submitted today. Halcrow Barry were the original consultnat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

One thing I cannot understand.

The section from Bloomfield Interchange to the bridge carrying Maryborough Hill over the N28. Why wasn't this built to dual carriageway standard back in the day.

I'm not sure if the bridge for Maryborough Hill is wide enough to allow dual carriageway under it. Certainly will be very tight. No chance of a hard shoulder that's for sure.

The extra spend to have gone this would have been minimal back then.

I'm pretty sure this section is dual carriageway isn't it?

wow it isn't! could have sworn it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

corktina wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure this section is dual carriageway isn't it?

wow it isn't! could have sworn it was!

There are 2 lanes for climbing from Bloomfield up Mulcan Valley, only a single for descending down it.

• Advertisement

Excellent news.

I'd push it on a step further though. Ringaskiddy and Cork Airport are linked via the SRR. The Kinsale Road roundabout it also under significant pressure from the Airport Hill side.

The solution:

33xypdu.png

How much extra would a simple two way road cost if tagged onto the N28 scheme. Now would be the time to do this give junction alterations etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

AugustusMinimus, that could be a double edged sword, driving traffic in the wrong direction.

Victor wrote: »
    AugustusMinimus, that could be a double edged sword, driving traffic in the wrong direction.

My view is

1. It will take pressure off of the Kinsale Road roundabout.
    2. Puts more traffic through Bloomfield which is well able to handle it due to being freeflow.
    3. Takes pressure off of the only 2 lane section of SRR remaining between Bloomfield and Douglas.
    4. Road network in the area is badly underdeveloped. Would get rid of a lot of local traffic from quite poor roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭phatmanwc

I have to say, as much of an improvement as it was, it's a pity that a better job wasn't done on the KR interchange. Is it really futureproof? I hope that mistake hasn't been made again, since it would be virtually impossible to implement any further changes down the line.

One of the original proposals involved an elevated slip road for Airport Hill-bound traffic coming from the east, which would have allowed them to bypass the roundabout altogether; anyone who travels this section at peak times knows how much of a tail-back there can be, and how useful this would have been. Scrapped, needless to say!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

phatmanwc wrote: »
    I have to say, as much of an improvement as it was, it's a pity that a better job wasn't done on the KR interchange. Is it really futureproof? I hope that mistake hasn't been made again, since it would be virtually impossible to implement any further changes down the line.

One of the original proposals involved an elevated slip road for Airport Hill-bound traffic coming from the east, which would have allowed them to bypass the roundabout altogether; anyone who travels this section at peak times knows how much of a tail-back there can be, and how useful this would have been. Scrapped, needless to say!
    you wouldnt need a bridge to make a massive improvement.

the roundabout isnt the problem coming from the airport but the lights and they can only let so many through at a time, and the failing in the design is that theres no dedicated slip (with no lights, but yielding to traffic coming from the roundabout) for westbound traffic
    If you had that slip road westbound, it would remove a dozen or so cars from the queue for the lights at each light change meaning over an hour 100s less cars needing to get through the lights, and thus a substantially lower queue.

My view is

1. It will take pressure off of the Kinsale Road roundabout.
    2. Puts more traffic through Bloomfield which is well able to handle it due to being freeflow.
    3. Takes pressure off of the only 2 lane section of SRR remaining between Bloomfield and Douglas.
    4. Road network in the area is badly underdeveloped. Would get rid of a lot of local traffic from quite poor roads.

Alternatively, it could deliver more Carrigaline and Douglas/Rochestown traffic to to Kinsale Road Roundaabout via the Kinsale Road.
    the roundabout isnt the problem coming from the airport but the lights and they can only let so many through at a time
    At peak times, a traffic light controlled junction allows more traffic through than a roundabout only junction.

Alternatively, it could deliver more Carrigaline and Douglas/Rochestown traffic to to Kinsale Road Roundaabout via the Kinsale Road.

Considering there will be traffic queues down airport hill and no traffic queues on bloomfield I doubt it.

All people going from Airport to the Jack Lynch Tunnel and visa versa would use this route taking significant levels of traffic off of the Kinsale Road Roundabout.

At peak times, a traffic light controlled junction allows more traffic through than a roundabout only junction.

Often said. However, this doesn't always play out in practice. Removal of the roundabout outside the Dean Rock Bar in Cork caused havoc during morning and evening rush hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,813 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

you misinterpreted my point.

At the moment theres people coming from the airport, who are stopped at the lights/ at the queue for the lights who will NOT even make it as far as the roundabout as they have a slip road onto the dual carraigeway just before even entering the actual roundabout.

If this westbound traffic which is not heading for the roundabout could be filtered out of the south and eastbound traffic which does go through the roundabout, then theres less folks overall needing to get through the lights as you have removed 1/3 of the traffic (or at least the traffic from 1 of 3 directions).

costwise, it'd be cheap. Small landworks, 30 or 40m of road foundation and surfacing and an odd sign. No need even for adjustment of traffic lights or addition of a new set on the mini slip road as you could leave westbound traffic to just yield to traffic from the roundabout, and they will have a free run anyhow when traffic from the airport to the roundabout has their green light blocking other oncoming traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭crc

Excellent news.

I'd push it on a step further though. Ringaskiddy and Cork Airport are linked via the SRR. The Kinsale Road roundabout it also under significant pressure from the Airport Hill side.
    How much extra would a simple two way road cost if tagged onto the N28 scheme. Now would be the time to do this give junction alterations etc.
    I think that is a good idea, but why not also have a path along your new road from Ringaskiddy to the Airport?
    (I've added what I mean here in orange)
    33xypdu.jpg
    280244.jpg

crc wrote: »
    I think that is a good idea, but why not also have a path along your new road from Ringaskiddy to the Airport?
    (I've added what I mean here in orange)
    33xypdu.jpg
    280244.jpg

Sorry, should have drawn it a bit better. But yes, I'd have trumpet or a half stack on the N28 to deal with this link road to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Carrig1

Considering there will be traffic queues down airport hill and no traffic queues on bloomfield I doubt it.

All people going from Airport to the Jack Lynch Tunnel and visa versa would use this route taking significant levels of traffic off of the Kinsale Road Roundabout.

There is also major traffic queues in the morning because of the access road from Maryborough hill joining traffic on the N28. Traffic at a standstill all the way past Carr's hill

As in queues coming down the sliproad onto the N28 ? I would imagine a lot of the problem here is that at present there is only 1 lane where the sliproad merges with the N28. This will be increased to 2 lanes with the new scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,528 ✭✭✭kub

Carrig1 wrote: »
    There is also major traffic queues in the morning because of the access road from Maryborough hill joining traffic on the N28. Traffic at a standstill all the way past Carr's hill

The traffic from Maryborough Hill does not cause that problem, it certainly adds to it though. The problem is further down where the N28 traffic merges with the traffic coming up from the Rochestown Rd.

• Advertisement

21rmfn.png
    6opemg.png
    mwfzaw.png
    334t63o.png
    2nsxv2s.png

A few early drawings of the scheme. Carrs Hill Interchange will change the old road to divert back into Douglas as it originally used to go. Looks as if there will be no movements from the interchange to Bloomfield or from Bloomfield to access Douglas or the old road.

Sliproad from Maryborough Hill down to Bloomfield maintained. Not sure if the sliproad to Mount Oval will be maintained.

Looks like access to Carrigaline will be done via 2 junctions. Carrigaline to Cork will access the N28 via the new ShannonPark junction. Cork to Carrigaline Traffic will have to come off at the new Hilltown Roundabout and get into Carrigaline via the old ShannonPark roundabout.

Where are those images from?

Taken from the 2nd brochure on this page

http://www.corkrdo.ie/schemes/n28_bloomfield_ringaskiddy_scheme_publications.php

Published back in 2008. I'm glad they decided to go with the offline build.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I was always surprised how they managed to fit a DC into the rather small area they have for this. Impressive engineering (plans anyway).

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

Taken from the 2nd brochure on this page

http://www.corkrdo.ie/schemes/n28_bloomfield_ringaskiddy_scheme_publications.php

Published back in 2008. I'm glad they decided to go with the offline build.

I was talking to someone involved with planning in the council and he reckoned that they need to redo the route for some reason. He couldn't tell me why though and he's not directly involved in this project, but I'd be a little wary on relying on the drawings from last time round

Then again, it's only second hand information

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

RPS appointed as design consultants for the project

So from what I hear there's a belief that the new dual carriageway won't get off the ground till perhaps as late as 2020. Cork County Council are proposing to revamp the Shannonpark roundabout with traffic lights and a slip road in the meantime:
    Proposed signalisation of Shannon Park Roundabout
    Part 8 Planning Notice

Notice under Section 179 of the Planning and Development Act, 2000 and Part 8 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 as amended

Cork County Council proposes to undertake the following development works:

· The signalisation of the Shannonpark Roundabout on the N28 at Shannonpark, Carrigaline, Co. Cork. It is proposed that traffic signals will be erected on the approaches and on the existing Shannonpark Roundabout. It is also proposed to construct a slip road to facilitate the N28 Cork to Ringaskiddy traffic to bypass the roundabout. The purpose of the scheme is to reduce traffic congestion and to significantly increase the capacity of the roundabout in order to sustain the N28 corridor as a key engine for economic growth in the area in the short to medium term.

· The replacement of the Shanbally Roundabout on the N28 at Shanbally, Co. Cork, with a signalised T junction. It is proposed to remove the existing roundabout and to construct a regular T junction with traffic signals. The purpose of the scheme is to improve facilities for pedestrians and cyclists while increasing vehicular capacity on the N28.

The proposed works include:

· New traffic signal heads and controllers
    · New road signs and road markings
    · New Slip Road to facilitate Cork To Ringaskiddy traffic at Shannonpark
    · New pedestrian crossings, cycling facilities
    · Other necessary associated works.

Plans and Particulars of the proposal will be available for inspection at:

· Cork County Council National Roads Office, Richmond, Glanmire, Co. Cork
    · Cork County Council Carrigaline Area Office, Church Road, Carrigaline, Co. Cork
    · Cork County Council County Hall, Cork,

On working days from Friday the 8th of November 2013 to Friday the 20th of December 2013 from 9am to 4.30pm – please note Carrigaline Area Office closed from 1.00pm to 2.00pm daily.

Plans and Particulars of the proposal will also be available for purchase for a fee of €10 at:
    · Cork County Council National Roads Office, Richmond, Glanmire, Co. Cork
    on working days from Friday the 8th of November 2013 to Friday the 20th of December 2013 from 9am to 4.30pm.

Submissions and observations with respect to the proposed development, dealing with the proper planning and sustainable development of the area in which the development would be situated, may be made in writing to Administrative Officer, Cork County Council National Roads Office, Richmond, Glanmire, Co. Cork, on or before 5.00 p.m. on Monday the 13th of January 2014.

I think this really isn't going to help at all. I work in Ringaskiddy and have never ever had problems getting through the roundabout going from Cork to Ringaskiddy - the problem is getting on going the opposite direction. All this is going to achieve is to delay commuters getting to and from Carrigaline IMO

Cork County and City Council's obsession with traffic lights continue.

I have absolutely no idea why they are replacing the roundabout with traffic lights. Absolutely none. What a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭crc

Cork County and City Council's obsession with traffic lights continue.

I have absolutely no idea why they are replacing the roundabout with traffic lights. Absolutely none. What a waste of money.

My understanding is that they are adding traffic lights to the roundabout, rather than replacing the roundabout.

• Advertisement

crc wrote: »
    My understanding is that they are adding traffic lights to the roundabout, rather than replacing the roundabout.

That's my understanding too - add lights to the existing shannonpark roundabout. They're also replacing the roundabout in Shanbally with lights at a T junction however

Advertisement