Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N56 - Dungloe to Glenties

• 26-02-2013 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi,

Just wondering if there is any updates on the next section of the Dungloe to Glenties road startting?.. The Cloghbolie to Boyoughter phase seems to be complete and I have heard the next phase Dungloe to Cloghbolie is due to start up soon?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭freevoice

http://www.donegalcoco.ie/services/roadstransport/majorprojects/Dungloe-Glenties.htm the highlighted blue underlined Non tech Summary of EIS link has a pdf file that shows map plans and other info about the Boyoughter to Kilkenny Road Scheme thats underway now

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Works are taking place on the N56 Glenties/ Dungloe Rd until approx Dec 2016. Traffic management systems will be in place along the route and delays can be expected.

I presume this scheme is now under construction?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Part of started in June, south of the finished section and encompassing the worst section (Gweebarra)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

L1011 wrote: »
    Part of started in June, south of the finished section and encompassing the worst section (Gweebarra)

So it's from Boyoughter south to where exactly?
    The Donegal Coco link above doesn't work anymore, they reorganised their site and made a mess of it. There now doesn't appear to be any info on their site about road schemes

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Never mind, I found Kilkenny, Donegal on the map.

Anyone know when Cloghbolie-Boyoughter opened? I know it was done sometime in 2012/2013?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

spacetweek wrote: »
    Never mind, I found Kilkenny, Donegal on the map.

Anyone know when Cloghbolie-Boyoughter opened? I know it was done sometime in 2012/2013?
    10 months after your post but anyway..

http://www.tii.ie/news/press-releases/opening-of-n56-cloghbolie/

Phase II of this, Boyoughter to Kilkenny, should be open already or if not very shortly.

Phase III, a 5km stretch from Kilkenny to Letterilly, is ready to tender and should start next year if funding becomes available: http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/donegal-news/223456/n56-upgrade-in-glenties-area-continues.html

Would love more information if anyone local knows it.

€1m has been allocated for land acquisition along the scheme in 2017.

€350k has been allocated for the finishing of the Boyoughter to Kilkenny element which is now all but finished.

€500k has been allocated for the 4km Kilkenny to Letterilly scheme to proceed to tender and construction in 2017.

Photo from the recently completed Boyoughter to Kilkenny segment

1489679103702_1489679140.jpg--_17m__funding_for_key_roads_projects_in_donegal.jpg?1489679141000p

Phase 3 Kilkenny to Letterilly is to start in Autumn 2017.
    Phase 4 Letterilly to Glenties to start 2019.

http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/news/240482/17m-funding-for-key-roads-projects-in-donegal.html

• Advertisement

He looks very cold!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

A Glenties Bypass, which was utterly ignored in this scheme, is needed also. Normal days its fine, but in summer I have spent 20mins getting down the main street. Terrain is always a problem around here, but it should be plausible to go West of the town fairly cheap.

They also need to figure out how to fund upgrading the R252 as, when this is done and Mountcharles-Inver is done, there will be a section of woeful R road that is the signed route between two bits of upgraded T3 N road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Kevwoody

A Glenties Bypass, which was utterly ignored in this scheme, is needed also. Normal days its fine, but in summer I have spent 20mins getting down the main street. Terrain is always a problem around here, but it should be plausible to go West of the town fairly cheap.

They also need to figure out how to fund upgrading the R252 as, when this is done and Mountcharles-Inver is done, there will be a section of woeful R road that is the signed route between two bits of upgraded T3 N road.

No disrespect, but if Letterkenny can't get a second bridge over the Swilly, there's not a hope of a tiny town like Glenties getting bypassed. And 20mins to get through the town? Not a hope, not even on harvest fair day would it take that long.

Kevwoody wrote: »
    No disrespect, but if Letterkenny can't get a second bridge over the Swilly, there's not a hope of a tiny town like Glenties getting bypassed. And 20mins to get through the town? Not a hope, not even on harvest fair day would it take that long.
    A second Swilly bridge in Letterkenny (on the N56 Relief Road) is in planning. A Glenties bypass is not.

marno21 wrote: »
    A second Swilly bridge in Letterkenny (on the N56 Relief Road) is in planning. A Glenties bypass is not.

There's a reason it's not in planning, it's a ridiculous suggestion. The second bridge over the Swilly has been talked about for years locally but despite being in planning, it's still no closer to being started, with TII saying they have no money for it.

Also, I'm not quite sure why you quoted my post and not the one above, which is where the suggestion for a Glenties Bypass came from. Being from Letterkenny, I'm well aware of what is, and what is not, in planning.

In response to the road safety issues in Donegal, TII are proceeding with the N56 Relief Road/N13 DC upgrade, N14 Letterkenny-Lifford and N15 Ballybofey/Stranorlar BP. These have been put into planning and will likely be funded as part of the next roads programme. Whilst it's disappointing that there is no funding at present, at least they are pipeline projects and due to the shortage of same, will likely be built in the next tranche of roadbuilding projects.

The Glenties bypass at present remains a desire of the poster above as there is none in planning. However, when the N56 upgrades are complete and if Glenties is identified as a choke point, a relief road for the town isn't beyond the bounds of imagination.

Mountcharles got bypassed. Size of town does not equate to traffic problems caused

Mountcharles got bypassed. Size of town does not equate to traffic problems caused

Mountcharles is on a much busier section of the N56, and was a serious traffic congestion point before it was bypassed, Glenties is simply not, and never will be. There is really no comparison between the two.

Mountcharles is on a much busier section of the N56, and was a serious traffic congestion point before it was bypassed, Glenties is simply not, and never will be. There is really no comparison between the two.

Traffic count data given in various EISs does not agree with "much busier". ~3500AADT around both; but Glenties has much more internal traffic.

In summer its quite plausible to be over ten minutes waiting at the old hospital to get on to the main street alone, let alone further delays.

Traffic count data given in various EISs does not agree with "much busier". ~3500AADT around both; but Glenties has much more internal traffic.

In summer its quite plausible to be over ten minutes waiting at the old hospital to get on to the main street alone, let alone further delays.

Can't post a link as I'm on my phone, but 2017 AADT count outside Donegal Town on N56 is 5369, 5.6% of which is HGV Traffic. N56 at Dungloe, which is the closest to Glenties I can find data for, is 2734 AADT, 3.6% HGV.

So yea, I'd say much busier is a fair statement.

• Advertisement

Can't post a link as I'm on my phone, but 2017 AADT count outside Donegal Town on N56 is 5369, 5.6% of which is HGV Traffic. N56 at Dungloe, which is the closest to Glenties I can find data for, is 2734 AADT, 3.6% HGV.

So yea, I'd say much busier is a fair statement.

Donegal Bypass and a rural bit of road outside Dungloe are not either location we're talking about here.

The town is a mess for traffic and could be bypassed cheaply.

Donegal Bypass and a rural bit of road outside Dungloe are not either location we're talking about here.

The town is a mess for traffic and could be bypassed cheaply.

It's outside Donegal Town, not the bypass but closer to Mountcharles. And Dungloe rural?? It's a lot larger and busier than Glenties!
    Also, "could be bypassed cheaply ". There's no such thing as a cheap bypass, money is far better spent realigning bad bends and dangerous junctions, not towns that are "busy in summer".

It's outside Donegal Town, not the bypass but closer to Mountcharles. And Dungloe rural?? It's a lot larger and busier than Glenties!
    Also, "could be bypassed cheaply ". There's no such thing as a cheap bypass, money is far better spent realigning bad bends and dangerous junctions, not towns that are "busy in summer".

I said "rural bit of road", not that Dungloe was rural. You appear to be going out of your way for an argument here.

The TII traffic counter that you have figures from at Donegal Town is on the bypass - the bypass is not only the N15.

I said "rural bit of road", not that Dungloe was rural. You appear to be going out of your way for an argument here.

I'm really not, all I'm saying is there is no comparison to traffic levels at Mountcharles and Glenties. You threw out a figure of 3500 AADT, the figures I quoted, while not being exact locations, are a lot more accurate to the discussion.

Anyway, that argument aside, Glenties does not, and most likely never will, warrant a bypass.

I'm really not, all I'm saying is there is no comparison to traffic levels at Mountcharles and Glenties. You threw out a figure of 3500 AADT, the figures I quoted, while not being exact locations, are a lot more accurate to the discussion.

They're miles away on roads with completely different usage profiles. They're irrelevant.

I'll have to dig up the EIS for the current schemes as the council no longer has them on their website, but they have actual figures and they are rather similar.
    Anyway, that argument aside, Glenties does not, and most likely never will, warrant a bypass.

And that is something I'm not going to agree on. Smaller towns on lesser (regional generally) roads have had bypasses done where there has been similar options - a reduced route length and avoiding a delay.

They're miles away on roads with completely different usage profiles. They're irrelevant.

I'll have to dig up the EIS for the current schemes as the council no longer has them on their website, but they have actual figures and they are rather similar.

And that is something I'm not going to agree on. Smaller towns on regional roads have had bypasses done where there has been similar options - a reduced route length and avoiding a delay.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree then so :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Drove this road today, first time since the works were completed, great bit of road and is making Lettermacwardand Dungloe much more accesable, the next phase into letterilly is going to be a great help also, presume that there'll be a new bridge put in closer toward glenties...

Drove this road today, first time since the works were completed, great bit of road and is making Lettermacwardand Dungloe much more accesable, the next phase into letterilly is going to be a great help also, presume that there'll be a new bridge put in closer toward glenties...

No plans for another bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭discodaveirl

Any map of the planed next phase?

Advertisement