Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Viber

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Viber

Viber I think there's a little problem with not allowing everyone to try it who wants to go through the process.

I registered and have installed it but I have no way of testing it because no one I know has it. :) I registered my wife yesterday but she hasn't got an email yet.

Just a thought but people who go through the trouble of registering on your page obviously know what they are doing. The average user doesn't know how to apply anything thats not on the market so couldn't you allow everyone to use the beta apk off the site who go looking for it ?

You're not taking other scenarios into consideration.
    How hard do you think it would be for people to simply send the .APK file to ALL their friends, and their friends would send it to their friends, etc etc.
    This is in fact exactly what's happening now. Had we not decided to make it gradual, we would have been completely overwhelmed by now.

We realize that there is inconvenience involved, but as we said - if you subscribed, you will get an email soon and be able to activate it.

Just a little more patience is needed...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Any plans to optimise it? 9MB is horrendous!

draffodx wrote: »
    Any plans to optimise it? 9MB is horrendous!

We have received this request from numerous users, and will look into it soon. It may not be possible unfortunately :(

In the meanwhile, post your request here: http://blog.viber.com/viber-beta-support

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

Tried this out yesterday with a call to the UK. Very impressive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

Hi Viber.

i accidentaly selected the deactivated account option, and now it looks like i'm locked out of my account.

is there a way to reactivate it?

thanks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ Sage Immense Squeamishness

Looking forward to trying this out!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,312 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Microsoft about to buy Skype - should be a bonanza for Viber. Just look at what happened MySpace when Rupert Murdoch bought it, mass exodus to Facebook.

coylemj wrote: »
    Microsoft about to buy Skype - should be a bonanza for Viber. Just look at what happened MySpace when Rupert Murdoch bought it, mass exodus to Facebook.

Eventually the same will happen to Viber.

draffodx wrote: »
    Eventually the same will happen to Viber.

I wouldn't bet on that... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Must say that viber is deadly and the amount of updates coming out is encouraging

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

As someone who has only just herd of Viber, why should I use this instead of skype?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Zascar wrote: »

I had already googles it andI probably will install it, but I'm not sure it would take over from skype for me. This would still only work when I am connected to wireless or 3g and being a pay-as-you-go customer I don't leave my 3g connected so it would only really be of use in my house just like skype. As someone who is already registerd to skype not having to register to Viber isn't a huge draw, I was hoping there was something I was missing (and maybe there is).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Uhg, ok..

With Skype you need a username and password to sign up and you have to sign in each time. With viber your phone number is your username and that’s all you need
    With skype you start and account and then you have to search for friends that have it etc, add them and get then to accept before you can be connected. With Viber you log in and it will automatically have a bit list of friends already there – it knows who else out of your friends already uses it from the entries in your phone book (and I think facebook too) depending on your phone.
    Viber uses push messaging and does not take up any resources when running.
    Viber has way better call quality. Any time I have tried to use skype over 3G it just sucks.

Uhg, ok..

With Skype you need a username and password to sign up and you have to sign in each time. With viber your phone number is your username and that’s all you need
    With skype you start and account and then you have to search for friends that have it etc, add them and get then to accept before you can be connected. With Viber you log in and it will automatically have a bit list of friends already there – it knows who else out of your friends already uses it from the entries in your phone book (and I think facebook too) depending on your phone.
    Viber has way better call quality. Any time I have tried to use skype over 3G it just sucks.
    As I said though, for a person who already has skype and has the friends they want etc its not a huge plus.As for Viber running in the background, again it's not a huge advantage for me if I would only be using it with wireless. I don't have to input my username and password everytime I want to go onto to skype, I just press the skype pic on my app page and I sign in automatically. I have never used skype over 3g and would probably not use viber either, as for messages, I and most people I know get messages for free from our network.

Edit: I'm not trying to troll here, I am genuinely curious why I would start using this when I have skype set up the way I want it and already have free messages.

Obviously not for you. Have fun with Skype.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Uhg, ok..

If I want Skype I go to Android market and download it, if I want Viber I read threads about it for the last 6 months and still don't seem to know when it will be available

Made me first call on viber yesterday and I must say the sound quality of the phonecall is excellent. Was so surprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,962 ✭✭✭opus

Installed the beta this morning & just had a call & a few messages with a friend in Germany, safe to say I'm sold :)

opus wrote: »
    Installed the beta this morning & just had a call & a few messages with a friend in Germany, safe to say I'm sold :)

Tis really clear innit?

• Advertisement

seanybiker wrote: »
    Tis really clear innit?

VoIP will always be clearer and quicker than the PSTN as long as the processing power and bandwidth is there :)

If I want Skype I go to Android market and download it, if I want Viber I read threads about it for the last 6 months and still don't seem to know when it will be available

The beta version is a closed-group version, and was never intended to be public - we announced that officially when we launched the project.

If you want it you can subscribe here: http://eepurl.com/bW1Ln and wait (probably 2-3 weeks) for our invitation email, then you'll be able to complete your installation of Viber on your Android.

When it goes public, it will obviously appear on Market and be available to anyone, all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Viber wrote: »
    The beta version is a closed-group version, and was never intended to be public - we announced that officially when we launched the project.

If you want it you can subscribe here: http://eepurl.com/bW1Ln and wait (probably 2-3 weeks) for our invitation email,

hmm I think Ive been waiting for a place for as long as this thread is going! ...And thats on two Android phones... Please guys, open it up for more people! Starting to bug me now to see that Viber notification on my phone all the time but cant get past the 'enter your phone number' bit.

god's toy wrote: »
    hmm I think Ive been waiting for a place for as long as this thread is going! ...And thats on two Android phones... Please guys, open it up for more people! Starting to bug me now to see that Viber notification on my phone all the time but cant get past the 'enter your phone number' bit.

When I wrote 2-3 weeks, I meant 2-3 weeks since the release of the Beta. It might take a little long, so your patience is appreciated.

All subscribers should receive the invitation eventually, and use the Beta.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Can somebody email me the .apk file?
    Send me a pm and i'll give you my email

scudzilla wrote: »
    Can somebody email me the .apk file?
    Send me a pm and i'll give you my email

Note that if you get the APK without following this procedure, you will NOT be able to activate.
    In order to activate you'll have to subscribe here: http://eepurl.com/bW1Ln and wait for your turn in receiving the invitation emails (a few weeks from subscription).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Viber wrote: »
    When I wrote 2-3 weeks, I meant 2-3 weeks since the release of the Beta. It might take a little long, so your patience is appreciated.

All subscribers should receive the invitation eventually, and use the Beta.

Ah yes now I understand you, thanks for that update! can't wait to play!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭mada999

aye...have it installed and called an iphone user the otherday, i was on wifi and they were on 3G... sound was good!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

I applied for beta access the day of the beta launch and still no email. Any expected date for people who signed up on the 4th May? Just some general timeline, to give me some idea as to how long I'll be waiting?

• Advertisement

Jackobyte wrote: »
    I applied for beta access the day of the beta launch and still no email. Any expected date for people who signed up on the 4th May? Just some general timeline, to give me some idea as to how long I'll be waiting?

As I wrote above, the waiting list is long, so the wait could be a few weeks long.

Advertisement