Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Question for those who paid the Household Charge

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Well if you were smart then you should offer to pay.

If he doesn't pay you will just pay eventually, plus interest and fines!
    True! I already pay the mortgage with my brother, and I did suggest early on that we all (there are 4 of us) pay 25 each but they wanted to make a point so I let it go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭StillWaters

It's a bit rich that those who are against the flat rate side of the charge, want a flat exemption for people of pensionable age, regardless of the value of their asset, pension, savings etc.

There will be a tiered system brought in, based on size and location. Old people do not vote FG in the same way they voted FF so there will not be a universal exemption. And frankly if there was to be an exemption for a large group of people, it would be fairer if it was for medical card holders or FIS recipients.
    The bubble saw an unprecedented transfer of wealth from the younger generation to the older one. The young family in the burbs is likely to be living in more penury than an oap, because of where the personal debt burden lies.
    Times have changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Agent_47

Wouldn't trust this government or any to implement a fair property tax system. I still wonder why my 1.6D 2007 car is taxed at 488€ while my wifes 1.6D 2008 car is taxed at 160€ (was 104€).

As for the person in NI paying their coucil tax, I do believe that includes the waste charge which separate down here. We do not have a history of implementing fair and equitable tax systems in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭Hijpo

dudara wrote: »
    To me, this is an example of the mé-féin attitude that is partially to blame for the ruined economy of this country. Non-payers of the HC need to find some social responsibility and realise that paying taxes is part of the road to recovery. It's part of being a socially aware and responsible citizen.

You may not like paying taxes, but surely you have the brains to see the benefits in paying taxes.

lmao, on the contrary, this is my attitude because of the way the country is my friend. I have no problem what so ever paying tax, i pay my PRSI, PAYE and USC without question also the TV Licence as ****e as the tv is i pay my car tax and all the other charges. But this "tax" is a complete farce and im not paying it because i dont know where its going, i dont know how much it is going to be, i just know theres going to be some kind of catch that makes the wealthy exempt. The lads living in council houses are already exempt so who does that leave to foot the bill? next year there will be another excuse to raise it like "we didnt really know how many houses were vacant so we need to increase the tax to make up the short fall"

We can read these politicians like a book now, the irish people are to used to there antics at this stage and its about time we said enough is enough.
    I dont know how your happy to leave them off on big salaries and pensions aswell as whatever else while they stick you for another hundred quid.

Aslong as people are willing to subsidise there wasteful spending they will never change to a fairer tax system and never watch there spending all because they dont bloody have to.

Also Agent 47, apparently to tax a Taxi its only 80 quid no matter what liter the car is. I know a chap driving a 2 liter merc as a taxi and hes only paying 80 quid tax. I know they pay other fees but if they are serious about this carbon tax and the environment then a car should be classed as a car and be taxed as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,802 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There was a programme either on radio or TV once about taxing property that gave a stat that shocked me. So much so that I can't remember it accurately!

I think it was that something huge, like 55% or more, houses in Ireland have no mortgage on them. In the discussion they were saying that this was a huge untapped source of tax, and thats why a property tax in this country made sense.

As for OAPs etc having to pay it, I do think they sometimes get a little too much sympathy. I know a few pensioners personally who receive excellent benefits such as free electricity and telephone, and who are incredibly wealthy individuals. They don't need what they get from the Gov and its costly. OK so they paid their taxes over the years, but does that exclude them from paying up some of their wealth just because they have reached a certain age.

For every 'poor old OAP' there is probably a rich one. Don't try to force us all to think that every OAP is sitting in front of the 1 bar electric fire with a blanket round them.

And as for the lefties who seem to do nothing to complain about everything, God forbide if they ever got power. It easy in opposition to complain about every tax and say "down with this", but they never seem to give any answers to the country's problems. If they followed trough on their beliefs, the country would last about 1 week before it stopped functioning.

• Advertisement

Just to clarify, i believe in taxes i just strongly feel that other cuts should be made before an extra tax is imposed.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,115 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

NIMAN wrote: »
    There was a programme either on radio or TV once about taxing property that gave a stat that shocked me. So much so that I can't remember it accurately!

I think it was that something huge, like 55% or more, houses in Ireland have no mortgage on them. In the discussion they were saying that this was a huge untapped source of tax, and thats why a property tax in this country made sense.

As for OAPs etc having to pay it, I do think they sometimes get a little too much sympathy. I know a few pensioners personally who receive excellent benefits such as free electricity and telephone, and who are incredibly wealthy individuals. They don't need what they get from the Gov and its costly. OK so they paid their taxes over the years, but does that exclude them from paying up some of their wealth just because they have reached a certain age.

For every 'poor old OAP' there is probably a rich one. Don't try to force us all to think that every OAP is sitting in front of the 1 bar electric fire with a blanket round them.

And as for the lefties who seem to do nothing to complain about everything, God forbide if they ever got power. It easy in opposition to complain about every tax and say "down with this", but they never seem to give any answers to the country's problems. If they followed trough on their beliefs, the country would last about 1 week before it stopped functioning.

Very few paid in your country !!
    Disgrace :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

One question. If they don't have a database of homeowners, then how do they know who to send the fines to?
    A street has ten house. They receive payments in respect of number 1, 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 9 & 10. They will then make enquiries of number 5 & 8.

Lantus wrote: »
    FG and the current 'leader' ... The believe that TD's deserve special treatment and should be hugley rewarded financially is something he believes in as much as Bertie.
    Yet, one of the first things he did was implement a pay cut for himself and his ministers.
    flutered wrote: »
    , the only advantage that i have is there is no title to my house, so in the event of my death it will just go to a family member, no lawyers or goverment agency to collect anything, btw it will not be part of my will.
    You vote FF then?
    If property tax was a fair and equitable system, why wasn't levied at the height of the boom when we were all, supposedly, rolling in cash.
    Um, look at who was in government. We were 'rolling in cash' because it was borrowed money. We were taxing borrowings, not income.
    OldNotWIse wrote: »
    We are being told that this charge is to fund upkeep of parks and services etc...how were said services carried out before....
    We borrowed money from Germany.
    Finally, using the reverse argument to those who blithely accept this additional charge as being something normal or even desirable, can we have VRT scrapped because no other country in Europe has anything similar? Thought not.

You might look at motor taxation in Denmark, The Netherlands, Finland or Greese. http://ec.europa.eu/taxation_customs/resources/documents/306-98_en.pdf The figures are dated, but broadly representative.

198935.PNG
    How long have we had stamp duty? Is that not a property tax?
    When was the last time you paid your stamp duty?
    Hijpo wrote: »
    Just to clarify, i believe in taxes i just strongly feel that other cuts should be made before an extra tax is imposed.
    And billions in cuts have been made and billions more in cuts will be made.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Ronnie Binge

So, when you describe these houses as a "huge untapped source of tax", where does the money come from to pay that tax? In this instance it has to be savings. Houses of their own accord don't generate money unless you rent them out (covered by income tax) or sell them (covered by Capital Gains Tax)

Well done, you have now penalised thift of taxed income. Fail.

• Advertisement

Victor wrote: »
    And billions in cuts have been made and billions more in cuts will be made.

Well then make the bloody cuts, see where it leaves the country financialy and adjust the taxes to make up the short fall. If theres one thing that people on both sides of this debate are in agreement with its that its not how much money is coming in is the problem its how much money is being spent/wasted.

If we go ahead and fund the waste, the spends will never be adjusted as the money will be there. This is about forcing the governments hand in making some proper bloody economical changes, not taxing the **** out of people to pay for celtic tiger era spending.

And why shouldn't it come from savings? There are plenty of people in Ireland with plenty of savings, its just that its those that claim to have nothing who shout the loudest. You'd think listening to the people on phone-ins and reading the media etc that we are a nation all in poverty. Believe me there are plenty of people around doing ok and who €100 wouldn't do any harm to their savings.

Many of the 'Cant Pay, Wont Pay' are probably more "Can Pay, but simply Won't Pay". They expect the services, but they want them for free.

I would love to know how many of the "this yearly €100 tax would cripple me" brigade are paying Rupert Murdoch and Sky TV maybe €700 per year, or buying expensive coffees daily, or smoking hundreds of Euro worth of fags.

Also wondering do people think that there should be a blanket rule now that pensioners should pay nothing and get everything for free?

Very few paid in your country !!
    Disgrace :rolleyes:

I can only make sure I pay, can't control other people;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭daltonmd

There is so much wrong with this post - it's astonishing.

They will probably deduct it from her state pension.

Well then she obviously deserves it after paying for her property and paying property rates when they were applicable along with huge taxes in income, raising a family - who, by the way, are today toxpayers.

If it is home to you and whoever else comes under "us" then perhaps you should contribute?

I'd say he does - and I'll say he will and I'd say the goverment will really appreciate his help - because they sure do appreciate all carers, parents of autistic children, people who look after their ageing parents - these people by the way save the state millions becasue if they have to do it they'd screw it up and charge all taxpayers for the privilege
    There is no reason why a woman should live alone in a large 5 bedroomed house.

Speachless - really - for a country obsessed with property I'm baffled by this comment.
    If she is worried about the tax then she should just sell up, downsize to a bungalow (no stairs for climbing) and keep the excess money to make sure she lives the rest of her years in financial security.

She paid her way - she worked, reared her kids, paid her taxes, scrimped when Charlie told her too and you have absolutely no right to dictate to this woman how she should see out her days - NONE.

Yes I am willing to pay a tax on my property as is done the world over.

As did the woman in her house when rates where payable in this country.
    People need to realize that they can refuse to pay the 100e now but will eventually have to pay it down the line along with accumulated taxes and interest.

Yes well I'm sure that the examples set by sitting, paid for TD's will help- won't it?
    I own a small, terraced 2 bed townhouse so I think it is completely just that your mother, who lives in a large 5 bed house pays more.

How many taxpayers have you reared so?
    If she refuses to live in a more appropriate house to her needs then she must pay the price. The Celtic Tiger days are over. People need to live within their means. Particularly old people.

More appropriate to who? You?

Well god bless you - when you're living situation is being dictated to you after a lifetime of working - let us know will you?

Ta.

And why shouldn't it come from savings? There are plenty of people in Ireland with plenty of savings, its just that its those that claim to have nothing who shout the loudest. You'd think listening to the people on phone-ins and reading the media etc that we are a nation all in poverty. Believe me there are plenty of people around doing ok and who €100 wouldn't do any harm to their savings.

Many of the 'Cant Pay, Wont Pay' are probably more "Can Pay, but simply Won't Pay". They expect the services, but they want them for free.

I would love to know how many of the "this yearly €100 tax would cripple me" brigade are paying Rupert Murdoch and Sky TV maybe €700 per year, or buying expensive coffees daily, or smoking hundreds of Euro worth of fags.

Also wondering do people think that there should be a blanket rule now that pensioners should pay nothing and get everything for free?

The fact of the matter is that €100 wont stay at €100, this is just a little false sense of security in the way of "its alright lads, its only 100 euro, give use your name and address there so we can put it into this big database" next year "right lads, ye see we didnt actually know that we had X number of vacant houses so we have to up the tax to €1400 this year to make up for the short fall, but dont worry you dont have to register again, we have all your info from when you paid the €100, cheers"

Nah, i dont like the idea of being duped.

And then you say we should give up some of our enjoyments when the mother and father in the council house that have never worked and are passing there "how to get everything for nothing" education down to there four kids get to keep all theres, and all the boys that have a laugh and a craic gettin a rise out of one another shoutin across the dail get to keep there big salarys and pensions and expenses.

there is not one bloody thing organised about this country and its an absolute disgrace.

Now hijpo, I totally agree with you on he 'I won't work' brigade in this country. They get up my nose and I hate to see some local folk who couldn't find a job in the Celtic Tiger who lie in to 11am every day, yet seem to be able to sit in the pub most days and get holidays, when I don't.

But thats a different argument.

Oh, and I said earlier, and indeed I think even the Gov have admitted, that the HC charge will increase. Thats a given, but you quote €1400 like a lot of the leftie brigade that is pure scaremongering. It won't go from €100 to €1400, or even close.

daltonmd wrote: »
    Well then she obviously deserves it after paying for her property and paying property rates when they were applicable along with huge taxes in income, raising a family
    You do realise that those taxes have already been spent, don't you?
    The fact of the matter is that €100 wont stay at €100, this is just a little false sense of security in the way of "its alright lads, its only 100 euro, give use your name and address there so we can put it into this big database" next year "right lads, ye see we didnt actually know that we had X number of vacant houses so we have to up the tax to €1400 this year to make up for the short fall, but dont worry you dont have to register again, we have all your info from when you paid the €100, cheers"
    Vacant houses are not exempt (unless its a never been occupied house or is owned by a person in care), but I suspect you knew that already.

So what's your plan? Avoid the tax forever, and just let your neighbours pay for the parks, libraries, sports facilities, playgrounds, street cleaning etc?

Hope the purchaser of your property will go through with the purchase even without a Certificate of Discharge?

Or pay up eventually with penalties and interest when your point has been made?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Sionach

So what's your plan? Avoid the tax forever, and just let your neighbours pay for the parks, libraries, sports facilities, playgrounds, street cleaning etc?

Hope the purchaser of your property will go through with the purchase even without a Certificate of Discharge?

We don't have parks,libraries,sports facilities,playgrounds and street cleaning in the country. So what are we paying for?

Iv already stated what i expect to happen before they lure me in with a mediocre charge. I have no problem paying a tax aslong as i see cuts to celtic tiger era spending FIRST! That includes huge salaries and pensions to td,s and public sector top brass at the very least. Look there are so many needless expenses in ythis country its rediculous, like i said before, its not the lack of money going in its the amount being spent. Im sure you run your household prety wel, if you couldnt afford to buy designer clothes would you stop giving your kids pocket money or would you shop in pennies?

• Advertisement

Sionach wrote: »
    We don't have parks,libraries,sports facilities,playgrounds and street cleaning in the country. So what are we paying for?
    Come on, there are library sub branches in almost every village, together with mobile library, hedge cutting, rural transport scheme, fire service, heritage and community services, maintenance of roads, youth clubs, community halls etc.

Look folk, if the Gov play hardball over this, they will get it off you.

If they target a certain % of people and take them to court, do you really think arguments about TDs salaries & perks etc will get you off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Sionach wrote: »

This is my main issue with the household charge, and I have written to government departments for clarification on what I get.

My road used to be swept once a week this was changed last year to once every eight weeks.

We have lovely parks but there's no toilet facilities and there's no park wardens ever in sight and My kids are constantly jumping over dog poo.

My local library has had it's hours chopped about three years ago and is probably going to lose more hours. Sports grounds are run by the GAA or have to be hired out. As for the street lights - the lights around my area are either broke or don't work.

We had reason to call the Dublin City Councils emergency number and I think they said they don't operate an emergency service anymore it was basically an answering service but I should ring the Garda!!!

All I want to know is what I will get for my 100.00 euro, that's all

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Taxing the ownership of property is unfair.
    It is impossible to budget for potential property taxes for the timeframe of 0-32
    years when you reach an age of little or no income in retirement.
    You spend your life working, paying taxes and buying a property to die in safely and comfortably in and this is a distinct movement of the goalposts to a variable position.
    You were taxed on the income for the purchase, you were taxed for the purchase and your children will be taxed on their inheritance.
    This is just an insult.
    I would have no problem with income taxes being raised to cover the expected cost of the Household Charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭Wibbler

deelite wrote: »
    All I want to know is what I will get for my 100.00 euro, that's all

Less than what you are getting now. Central government has cut funding to local authorities this year by *more* (€164m) than the total projected income from this year's household charge (€160m). This does not take into account the cost of actually collecting the charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,634 ✭✭✭flutered

as a pensioner wwho paid tax at 60%, plus a morgage at 25% you folks have it real handy, now op whatever i have left you are in favour of taking it, well i have news for you and it is all bad.

may i add this little piece, my co. council is limerick, on the city boundry they built an enormus glass house which was not planned properly as it gave trouble from the start, they cost of which was not minimal, as big as it is they could not have an office there where the public could tax their cars, no siree they had to build a seperate building for that again on the city boundery, not satisified whit this waste the upgraded their office at newcastlewest, but at least one could tax their car there,again it is rather large building, kilmallock was next now here they really went to town, this is a herd of white elephants, the courthouse was upgraded here, i believe it was done to the highest specs including sound, wood panelled to achive this, but no way one can can tax their car, in 2006 there was six yes managerial positions, in 2009 this figure became thirteen, ex council chairmen recieve almost €100,00 per year pension. to co manager who oversay all this would be on a little more i asume, this is where the househould charge in co limerick is going, to pay the interest on all this waste, now they wonder why people are not willing to contribute.

flutered wrote: »
    as a pensioner wwho paid tax at 60%, plus a morgage at 25% you folks have it real handy, now op whatever i have left you are in favour of taking it, well i have news for you and it is all bad.

You think so, you really think so?

You think so, you really think so?
    not think, i am definate, i have survived two recessions, this one has not kicked in fully yet, people under the age of 50 have no idea of what people had to put up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭MIRMIR82

I didnt pay the Household Charge - out of principle why should i go out of the way to pay a tax - my wage is being taxed to the hilt as it is. As for fining me for not paying - how can they prove i have heard anything about this charge. I could live like a hermit and dont read the news. Noone sent a bill to my name or address:confused:

Advertisement