Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this the latest scam to hit Ireland?

• 22-03-2012 10:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭

So, was in Kilcock yesterday on business around 4.30pm or so.

Anyways, Leaving the Kilcock slip road, to join the main Dublin motorway (Dublin bound) I was flagged down by a man, rather skinny, mid 40's head full of gold teeth, holding a map, and frantically flagging me down.

Anways, as I be on the road quite a bit with my job, I would ususally try and help a fellow mororist out if they are in trouble.

I pulled in anyway, he came up to the passenger side of my car, smiled (first thing I noticed was that row of gold teeth) shook my hand, introduced himself by telling me 'hello Mr, I am French , please can you help me out?
    I asked him what was up, and his face turned to a face of sorrow, almost crying, exclaiming that he had his wife and kids in the car, and he had run out of petrol, could I please give him five or ten Euro to enable him to keep motoring?

I have no reason to doubt he was French btw, but I have the sneaky suspicion if he was French, he was French-Roma. Why? Well the wife in the front seat had the gypsy scarf, and a long gypsy skirt on too, and the kids were speaking in a language that certainly didnt sound French to me (I speak basic French)

Anyways, I told him I had no cash on me, (which was an honest answer) but he didnt seem to want to take no for an answer, pleaded please Mr, just ten euro, five euro, give me something..

When I told him I was out on a work exercise, and had no cash on me (I think I had a fifty cent on the dashboard lol) but if he liked I would take him to the nearest garage, and fill a Jerry can with a fiver of petrol using my laser card, or he could use his card to buy petrol, he didnt look a happy chappy at all!

Felt bad leaving them at the side of the road like that, but he also refused my offer of me making a phone call on his behalf to seek help.

I cant say 100% without doubt that it was a scam, but am curious as to wether anyone else has been approached on the roads of the country with a similar tale lately?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Lug wrench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Hmm, lets dissect this.

Head full of gold teeth.
    Foreign accent.
    Unnatural/awkward outbursts of emotion.

No, doesn't seem like a scam to me at all yeh tight fecker!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

In this case your user name is ironic

Not in this country but guy tried this scam with me when I was walking and he was driving, saying he had no money for petrol and was running out..he really didn't put the effort in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

chin_grin wrote: »
    Hmm, lets dissect this.

Head full of gold teeth.
    Foreign accent.
    Unnatural/awkward outbursts of emotion.

No, doesn't seem like a scam to me at all yeh tight fecker!

What I found odd was the fact that he felt the need to tell me his nationality at all!

I was approached a few years back in a retail park in Naas by an 'Italian' who felt the need to tell me his nationality also, before showing me lovely 'leather jackets' he was selling before he flew back to Milan that day:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Ghandee wrote: »
    What I found odd was the fact that he felt the need to tell me his nationality at all!

I was approached a few years back in a retail park in Naas by an 'Italian' who felt the need to tell me his nationality also, before showing me lovely 'leather jackets' he was selling before he flew back to Milan that day:rolleyes:
    You appear to be the common factor in this situations.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

I cant say 100% without doubt that it was a scam, but am curious as to wether anyone else has been approached on the roads of the country with a similar tale lately?

i'd have given him a set of pliars to pull out those gold teeth, i bet he'd more than fill his tank of petrol with those.

i had a roma pester me at the pumps at maxol in cabra... the was trying to sell me "gold" rings for €50 so he could buy fuel for his mercedes... when i said no he try again, eventually the employee at the petrol station came out and told him to leave.

he can afford a mercedes & gold rings but can't afford some diesel? yeah right. if u can't afford to run the motor time to sell it and buy a bus ticket.

i think ive met that guy too.... jacket wasn't even nice looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Reminds me of a guy who had gold teeth stopping me in Galway and pleading for money off me.

2 minutes later he was trying to flog me expensive Nokia phones and said he could get TVs and PCs for me :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

Scam....

.....or possibly scamola.

Well, I think I have established the fact that it was a scam alright, just wondering has anyone else been flagged down on the roads lately with a simiar tale?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭pcardin

as soon as OP mentioned mouth full of golden teath I knew straight away who they were and what they were up to even without reading the whole post. Roma gypsies doing this **** all over the Europe since 80ties (that's as far as I can remember). This trick and the other by trying to sell you some stuff which is in the bag. The good thing is they just like Nigerian scammers don't change their tactics and methods ever.
    so next time you see gold shining in someones mouth just speed up. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

Romanian Roma .... simplez

pcardin wrote: »
    as soon as OP mentioned mouth full of golden teath I knew straight away who they were and what they were up to even without reading the whole post. Roma gypsies doing this **** all over the Europe since 80ties (that's as far as I can remember). This trick and the other by trying to sell you some stuff which is in the bag. The good thing is they just like Nigerian scammers don't change their tactics and methods ever.
    so next time you see gold shining in someones mouth just speed up. :D

nah stop just make sure you have clorophorm and a good set of pliers... you'll make a fortune :P

haminka wrote: »
    Romanian Roma .... simplez

most roma are NOT romanian... they are italian

the term Roma comes from roman not romania

• Registered Users Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭pcardin

and a very good reason for not stopping and deffo not talking to them is that they are well known for hypnotizing regular people so they end up hading over their wallet happily :pac:

I think roma people are all etnic Indians, could be wrong, but am nearly sure they all originated from the Indian Sub-Continent, migrated to europe waaay back due to persecution in their own home lands....

I think I've read that somewhere?

Edit, yeah according to Wiki, they originated in the Indian subcontinent.

If its on Wik, it must be true......

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

If he didn't want a lift to the garage to get the fuel he was looking for it was obviously a scam. Pretty amateurish too, played it all wrong so he did.
    I have one of those jackets, they are pretty good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

You should have offered to take his wife to the garage if you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭coolemon

So, was in Kilcock yesterday on business around 4.30pm or so.

Anyways, Leaving the Kilcock slip road, to join the main Dublin motorway (Dublin bound) I was flagged down by a man, rather skinny, mid 40's head full of gold teeth, holding a map, and frantically flagging me down.

Anways, as I be on the road quite a bit with my job, I would ususally try and help a fellow mororist out if they are in trouble.

I pulled in anyway, he came up to the passenger side of my car, smiled (first thing I noticed was that row of gold teeth) shook my hand, introduced himself by telling me 'hello Mr, I am French , please can you help me out?
    I asked him what was up, and his face turned to a face of sorrow, almost crying, exclaiming that he had his wife and kids in the car, and he had run out of petrol, could I please give him five or ten Euro to enable him to keep motoring?

I have no reason to doubt he was French btw, but I have the sneaky suspicion if he was French, he was French-Roma. Why? Well the wife in the front seat had the gypsy scarf, and a long gypsy skirt on too, and the kids were speaking in a language that certainly didnt sound French to me (I speak basic French)

Anyways, I told him I had no cash on me, (which was an honest answer) but he didnt seem to want to take no for an answer, pleaded please Mr, just ten euro, five euro, give me something..

When I told him I was out on a work exercise, and had no cash on me (I think I had a fifty cent on the dashboard lol) but if he liked I would take him to the nearest garage, and fill a Jerry can with a fiver of petrol using my laser card, or he could use his card to buy petrol, he didnt look a happy chappy at all!

Felt bad leaving them at the side of the road like that, but he also refused my offer of me making a phone call on his behalf to seek help.

The exact same thing happened to me between Gormanston and Balbriggan about 4-5 years ago. He was a Roma aswell but nobody in the car. He flagged me down and I pulled over. He asked for 5-10 euro for fuel as he had run out.

I asked him that if I gave him the money, then where is he going to get the fuel, and how is he going to get the fuel back to the car?

He looked at me in a confused way and shrugged his shoulders.

I offered him a lift to a garage as I had a spare fuel can and he kind of backed off in a "forget it" kind of way.

But yeah. A pretty braindead scam. Looking for money for fuel yet not having anywhere to get the fuel or bring it back to the car.

Harmless though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Sarkozy kicks them out and they arrive here

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I was a victim of another scam in Waterford recently. Thought I would post it up here, give people a heads up.

I was coming out of Tesco and back to my car when this gorgeous young woman wearing a tiny, tight belly top and shorts saw me approaching the car and started washing the windscreen with her bucket full of soap and water. She washed it really sloppily so that the suds went all over her, making her top wet. I tried to tell her to leave it, I didn't want my windscreen washed, at which point her colleague, dressed similarly, joined in and started washing it together. They then started kissing and fondling each other.

This whole time when I was trying to dissuade them from washing my windscreen, another accomplice of theirs was helping themselves to my shopping at the back of the car. Apparently the scam is happening all around Ireland now that the weather is nice. So far this week, I've been a victim of this scam on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and twice on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭haminka

no, in their language, "roma" means "man" ....
    most of the Roma gangs here would be from Romania or Bulgaria, well organized and crime is their family way of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

It's been going on for the last few years, Joe duffy had a good few days out of it last year, Can't remember it all but it was some guy out at the airport.
    The biggest danger with stopping is you don't know who is waiting with your man. I would want to help but unfortunately it's getting to dangerous now.

It was a scam, make no mistake about that, he probably earned a few hundred euro through the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Sarkozy kicks them out and they arrive here
    Sounds like a game of gypsy rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,419 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

coolemon wrote: »

Harmless though.

I don't see it as harmless, I see it as begging.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Saw this lad off the maynooth/n4 sliproad last sunday hailing a driver down , was windering what he was at

Dan133269 wrote: »
    I was a victim of another scam in Waterford recently. Thought I would post it up here, give people a heads up.

I was coming out of Tesco and back to my car when this gorgeous young woman wearing a tiny, tight belly top and shorts saw me approaching the car and started washing the windscreen with her bucket full of soap and water. She washed it really sloppily so that the suds went all over her, making her top wet. I tried to tell her to leave it, I didn't want my windscreen washed, at which point her colleague, dressed similarly, joined in and started washing it together. They then started kissing and fondling each other.

This whole time when I was trying to dissuade them from washing my windscreen, another accomplice of theirs was helping themselves to my shopping at the back of the car. Apparently the scam is happening all around Ireland now that the weather is nice. So far this week, I've been a victim of this scam on Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and twice on Saturday.

next time tell them your gay :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Well they won't go up North, the nordies don't want them
    Happened a few years ago
    One hundred Romanians who fled their homes in Belfast after a spate of recent attacks have decided to leave Northern Ireland and return to Romania

The Housing Executive is paying for the families, members of the Roma ethnic group, to return to Romania using emergency funds.

A spokesman for the Northern Ireland Council for Ethnic Minorities said it was likely the remaining families would leave before the end of the week.
    "We have all spoken to the the Romanian families and the majority of them want to go home," he said.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/8114234.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭jsd1004

Is that available near me or does this mean I have to travel 200km to Waterford for my shopping.

Advertisement