Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Novice shoot

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭223Shooter

223Shooter - Yes - 28th Jan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,793 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Yes - 4th of Feb

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

ianoo-yes-4th of feb

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jay.b

jay.b yes 4th feb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭Tackleberry.

4 Feb, thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

yes 4th Feb

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Due to a last minute change the 4th of Feb will not be a possibility due to F-Class all that weekend. So the date set for the shoot is the 28th of Jan. It's either that or sometime in March/April.

I'll stick up a breakdown of the day shortly. I'll also be PM-ing all those that contacted, and posted here, asking to be included. I'd appreciate getting a response from all those that can make it by this coming Monday so as to arrange the appropriate amount of ROs, F-Class lads, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭jay.b

balls. dont know now if the 28 will work for me. was looking forward to this:(

Ok will make the 28th ... but herself won't be best pleased... OOOOH don't fancy telling her the plans have changed...

angry-wife.jpg

What time is kick off and plan for the day??

I realise this will not suit everyone, but i need to take into account the F-Class lads that will be helping to run things, making them travel three weekends in a row to the range, conflicting scheduling, availability of lads for the butts, ROs, etc.

For those that cannot make the 28th another will be organised for them asap. No dates yet, but i would like to have a few of these throughout the year with the possibility of a "end of year" novice comp/shoot. For all those that took part.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

You can count me out. :( I'm in Donegal with the missus that weekend!

Best of luck to the lads that attend!

Glensman wrote: »
    I'm in Donegal with the missus that weekend!
    Not the first to say that.

Have to ask, you all know it's V-Day two weeks after that? Make it up to herself then.

Go on, go shooting instead. :D;)

:o:o;):D

I have sent PMs notifications to all interested, but incase i have forgotten anyone or you PM'ed me and have not gotten one from me please contact me to include you.

Anyone else interested you may still put your name down. Never too late.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

I'm shooting that weekend with the DF and am busy over the following few weeks for business reasons so I will not be attending.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭ianoo

yes i can make it on the 28th :D:D count me in

ian

All names here and via PM are recorded.:cool:

Keep the answers coming lads.

How many can make the 28th so far EZ

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shanmoll308

Hey everyone,
    I am a member of the F/TR squad and will be making myself available on this day to help out in any way I can..Looking forward to meeting and sharing what little I know about long range shooting with ye all.
    It will be nice to put faces to names and it should make for a great days shooting.

Adrian.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Just in case anyone may be worried that young Shanmoll308 may give you wrong or misleading advice based on his youth and relative inexperience, I'll also be there to help out!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

BTW for anyone interested in following updates on FTR in Ireland and for anyone who wants to get a bit of background information on the sport of F-Class FTR in Ireland in preparation for the Novice Day, I can highly recommend that you check out the unofficial FTR Ireland facebook page at http://www.facebook.com/FTRIreland

If you'd like to follow and support your national FTR team, then make sure to "like" the F-Class FTR Team Ireland page at http://www.facebook.com/#!/Team.Ireland.FTR

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Immortal Being

Hi there. 4th Feb worked for me, but I'll be attending the competition in Hilltop (along with cliveJ) on the 28th Jan. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to attend, but would very much appreciate it if you could keep me on the list for any future novice days.

Kind regards;

Immortal being:)

Right lads. Here are the details for the day. As said this will be a full F-Class type shoot so it might be worthwhile to re-read the general outline as posted on page one.

9:30 - 10:30 = Registration at the clubhouse including presentation of licenses, and insurance details. Then out to the 100 yard range to confirm shooter has a proper 100 yard zero.
    10:30 - 11:30 = 25 yd zero range. All shooters will be required to fire between 3 - 5 shots to verify the rifle can safely make the 600 yard distance.
    11:30 - 11:50 = Break for tea/coffee, etc.
    11:50 - 12:00 = Firing line safety speech. Instructions to shooters, protocol for range shooting , etc.
    12:00 - 13:00 = Unspecified amount of rounds to get each shooter hitting the board with at least 3 successive rounds. Go along each shooter until all have hit this mark.
    13:00 - 13:45 = Lunch.
    13:45 - 14:00 = Shooters will be split into two groups. One will acomoany the Butts Supervisor while the other prepares their gear on the firing line.
    14:00 - 14:30 = 2 & 10 or 15 rounds per shooter at their target. Every shooter will have an F-Class lad/spotter between them to guide them through their string if they have an issue.
    14:30 - 14:45 = Shooters on the firing line, and butt crew swop places.
    14:45 - 15:15 = 2nd Detail same as above.
    15:15 = All shooters finished and return to clubhouse.

A few reminder notices.
    1. This is an F-Class novice shoot and subject to all the same rules as F-Class. No mods, no muzzle breaks, etc.
    2. Front rest or bipod, and back bag. If you need help with this contact me via PM, and we can sort you out.
    3. Have hearing protection. Not ear plugs but actual headsets.
    4. No camo gear to be worn. Its a range lads so no need to "blend in".
    5. Licenses, and insurance must be shown prior to shooting.
    6. There will be a range fee of €15.
    7. Bring lunch. There are shops within 5 minutes of the range, and vending machines, and tea and coffee available on the range. In other words don't go hungry for the day.:D
    Other than it'll be a straight forward day and hope to see you all there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

What adjustment should lads have on their scopes to make it to 600 yards?
    It would be unfortunate if they travel and end up not being able to reach the mark

This is a very rough guide because without knowing the exact make of ammo or length of the barrels on lads guns i had to guess at some of the stats but here goes;
    Caliber| Bullet Weight | Approx. MV | Drop in MOA | Drop in Clicks |
    .223 | 40 - 75 | 2800 - 3300 | 15 - 18 | 60 - 72 |
    .243 | 58 - 100 | 2900 - 3750 | 10.5 - 14.5 | 42 - 58 |
    6.5x55 | 100 - 140 | 2600 - 2950 | 12.5 - 17.5 | 50 - 70 |
    .270 | 120 - 150 | 2680 - 2840 | 12 - 16 | 48 - 64 |
    .308 | 123 - 200 | 2600 - 2950 | 11.75 - 14.5 | 47 - 58 |
    30-06 | 165 - 210 | 2600 - 2850 | 14.5 - 16 | 58 - 64 |
    .300 | 165 - 220 | 2800 - 3200 | 10.5 - 14.5 | 42 - 58 |

All the above Clicks are based on a 1/4" (0.25) click value. If your scope is a 1/8" (0.125) value simply double the values. Also its worth getting to know your scope in terms of MOA as this is the primary terms used when adjusting your scope in F-Class.

The values may not be spot on and if anyone with a much more accurate set of figures for a caliber can post them up that'd be helpful as i had to rely alot on manufacturer specs, and a BC to get some stats. I simply haven't tested, chrono'd all the rounds for all the calibers. I know, i'm lazy. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14 go faster

Is there space for one more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Is the shoot going to be Bisley style or a string?

When first on the 600 yard range there will be two shooters to a board with one or two F-Class lads to help get the perosn on the board, and stay there.

After lunch it will be string shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

I wish I could go but I'm working that day. Maybe I'll make it to the next one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭poulo6.5

dev110 wrote: »
    Is the shoot going to be Bisley style or a string?

hi dev
    can you explain what Bisley style or string means please

Advertisement