Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worries about and what you would like to see in Half Life 2

• 17-06-2003 7:15pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭

First of all my worries about Half Life 2:

1. I loved the setting of the original HL. It was very original setting it in a science complex, far more interesting than the usual grassy bit, snowy bit, forest bit, desert bit. The setting of HL2 seems a bit more generic. However from the videos the art direction is very impressive and the look of the world is very interesting.

I had another worry but I've forgotten it.

Now what I'd like to see:

1. Silly weapons. I'm fed up of FPS games with realistic weapons. One of the best features of HL and Duke 3D was the wide variety of different, balanced and interesting weapons. I hope the other guns in the game live up to the manipulator and alien control grenade thingies in the videos.

2. A fast HL DM multiplayer game. My all time favourite lan game is the original HL deathmatch. It was fast, crazy and a great laugh. I loved almost all the weapons and almost all had a use. CS will probably be converted to the source engine so before that happens give us a the DM style game that UT2003 should have been and leave the serious stuff until the new CS. (I'm not saying that UT2003 is crap up it could have been better).

To sum things up, roll on the September or whenever the HL2 release date will be after slipping. Since HL the only real innoations in the fps genre have been on the consoles. I've no doubt that HL2 will be the game to rectify this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,056 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

1. Silly weapons. I'm fed up of FPS games with realistic weapons. One of the best features of HL and Duke 3D was the wide variety of different, balanced and interesting weapons. I hope the other guns in the game live up to the manipulator and alien control grenade thingies in the videos.

Id have to disagree with you there...I hate silly weaopns in serious games .... weaopns that fire green goop etc...they just **** imo

• Registered Users Posts: 12,151 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

The weapons were one of the best part of half-life. I loved that tau cannon soooo much :D

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭nesthead

all those objects that you can shoot to break, some might ridiculously large hit-boxes....... same goes for the enemies too......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Originally posted by Retr0gamer
    My all time favourite lan game is the original HL deathmatch. It was fast, crazy and a great laugh.
    same here, it was a sad day when people stopped playing it in college & moved on to cs:(
    fingers crossed on that.

i hope they don't try to tack on some crappy love story between gordon & that foxy chick, it never works in games

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Originally posted by tman
    i hope they don't try to tack on some crappy love story between gordon & that foxy chick, it never works in games

I think it worked fine in both Monkey Island and Broken Sword it was a big part of the story in both. But then again they were point and click adventure games and not FPSers

On silly weapons – they had them in the first game so I can’t see why not a few new ones in number two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Surely that gravity gun thing counts as silly?

Anyway, I wanna see a decent story, with just as much attention paid to the little details as HL1. The Black Mesa complex actually had a realistic feeling layout, where some FPSs stick you at one end of a maze that really doesn't make you believe the surroundings. SOF was guilty of this, along with a few others.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

I just hope to christ the character designs for the aliens are decent. And there better not be any flying ones. And no sections on alien worlds.

And no love story. If your only way of interacting with the environment is through the business end of a gun, it's not going to work. And besides, 99% of its target audience are going to be teenage boys who couldn't give a rats arse about any female character in a pooter game unless she's massive jugs.

Silly weapons, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

Im all for silly weapons, however if you look at them videos theres an OICW, it may not be finished for another 7 years but it IS a real firearm, therefore silly weapons is looking doubtful so far (however the grav gun should be enough to keep me happy if they dont go OTT in the sillyness HL1 style).

If you watched all the videos you would see the gameplay - its fast paced, chaotic death match, which will more than likely end up reflecting in the multiplayer, sierra seem to have tried to stick to the first HL in gameplay, which I have to say, is bloody superb news.

As for your worry, your probably right, looks like a generic location (from what Ive seen, mainly a city, but Ive seen a small dock type thing too). However, if pulled off right could still lead to some good exploring and puzzles.

And another thing I like the look of:
    It looks so much more free and less linear, thats what nerfed the first ones singleplayer, no variation, from the main E3 demo it looks to be much more open and varied, however hopefully it will stil stay linear in its story and architecture, as totally free games tend to, well, suck.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,778 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It seemed quite linear to me. However I've no problems with that. Lets hope there aren't any weapons on par with the crappiness of Unreals snot shooter.

Advertisement