Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

WIN one of 5 pairs of tickets to see 'The Actor's Lament' at the Gaiety Theatre

Options
  • 18-08-2014 11:13am
    Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boards.ie Community Manager

We have 5 pairs of tickets to give away to members for the opening night of Steve Berkoff's The Actor's Lament in Dublin's Gaiety Theatre. Opening night is Monday 1st September at 8pm and the play will run for one week only (1-6 September).
    318859.jpg
    Legendary actor, director and playwright Steven Berkoff will bring The Actor’s Lament to Ireland next month. Berkoff has been acclaimed as ‘One of the great radical figures in British theatre’ (Scotsman).

The Actor’s Lament reunites him with fellow actors Jay Benedict and Andree Bernard. Opening at the Gaiety Theatre 1 September it will run for one week only.

The Actor’s Lament describes the bizarre lives of actors. It is about the stories that lie behind the grief, passions and aggravations of being a performer.

A glorious, iambically elegant rant. It's rather wonderful. I am in love at last with the phenomenon that is Berkoff at full throttle. Libby Purves, The Times

A three-hander that joyfully and mercilessly skews every theatrical target in sight. The Stage MUST SEE!

‘Admired as an actor, director and - above all – phenomenon’ Guardian.

To be in with a chance to win a pair of tickets, please post below telling us the most memorable thing you have seen in the Gaiety Theatre. If you haven't been there before, feel free to post anyway as winners will be chosen at random from all posts on Friday afternoon. Good luck.
    • Each entrant will be entered in the draw only once
    • Competition will close at 2pm on Friday 22nd August 2014
    • Winners will be chosen at random on Friday 22nd August 2014 after 2pm
    • Tickets are for Monday 1st September only and are non-transferable

Please only enter if you are available on 1st September. Many thanks to Gerry Lundberg PR for providing the tickets :)

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I have never been there so I guess it will be the actor's lament ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 SticksStones

Most memorable event in the Gaiety - Vanessa Redgrave in The Year of Magical Thinking AMAZING!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 evster

The Coronas playing an orchestral set

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

My Dad taking me to my first Christmas Panto.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 dazzling_jem

I got to see Cillian Murphy. He was very memorable indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Redhenrun

The Gaiety is a beautiful theatre and I've been to several plays there, but Improbable Frequency stands out for its clever, inventive, slapstick hilariousness.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

Many years ago being brought to the Christmas pantomime in the Gaiety and getting to sit in a box - a memory that has really stuck with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

The Tom Murphy plays last year were my highlight at the Gaiety :)

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Rachiee

Most memorable was the African version of the Magic Flute it was beautiful and my first opera

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I was in my 20s before I discovered the magic of the theatre and have been hooked since.
    When they were early teens, I brought my daughters to see Blood Brothers in the Gaiety.
    I was hoping they'd enjoy not just the show, but the entire experience.
    Bought box tickets to a matinee show- they enjoyed it as much as me!
    Happy days:-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 ColmFelix

Back around Christmas in 2005, my mum brought me to see Aladdin. It's what first set my interest in theatre and it mad me admire the Gaiety Theatre so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 bryanodowd

ColmFelix wrote: »
    Back around Christmas in 2005, my mum brought me to see Aladdin. It's what first set my interest in theatre and it mad me admire the Gaiety Theatre so much!

Oh no it didn't!

Yes another panto memory....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Arthur Miller's The Crucible - I love anything by Arthur Miller; such a genius

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Going to see The Plough and The Stars when I was in university as part of the course.

Was a truly wonderful production.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

Like an above poster, first Christmas pantomine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭jhayden

I remember going to a acrobatic show called circa at the Dublin theatre festival a number of years ago. While the show was extremely good, one of the acts was a woman walking over a man back in stiletto heels, looked extremely painful, but lives long in the memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 moralcourage

Arthur Miller's The Crucible.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Norma_Desmond

The back of a tall gentleman's head when I went to see Moll a few months back.

His penchant for not sitting still made the evening somewhat different; dodging his bulbous noggin in search of a better view, only for him to block it once more.

All things considered, I still thoroughly enjoyed the play.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Pantos :)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭leinster93

Been so long can't remember!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭gubber

Have never been. Would love to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

Ray McAnally in "Death of a Salesman" in the late 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭millie35

I've never been and would love the chance to go

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Sandyn75

I saw The Woman in a Black that was pretty memorable as it was so chilling. Loved it!

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

Closing this now, will be PMing winners shortly so keep an eye on your inboxes :)

Advertisement