Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

*All* Carry-on Baggage charges Queries & Questions ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I hope this is the correct place to post the question if not Mods please move it.

I am flying from Dublin to Portugal in the morning and I want to bring a hair clippers with me. Same as this

Do Ryanair permit them to be in a carry on bag?

Any help is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Nothing to do with Ryanair, it's DAA security that will check, and I don't see any issue, have taken similar through plenty of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Mena wrote: »
    Nothing to do with Ryanair, it's DAA security that will check, and I don't see any issue, have taken similar through plenty of times.

I cant see anything online but don't wanna get caught tomorrow or in Lisbon on the return.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭Alrite Chief

Has anyone any experience carrying a suit bag along with their cabin bag as their second item? If its folded up from the end its neat and tidy but wouldn't meet the dimensions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭bittihuduga

hi,
    im travelling out on Aerlingus and returning back to dublin on Ryanair.
    Im travelling with my 27month old daughter in her stroller.
    i dont have any checked luggage. travelling with hand luggage only.

is the stroller allowed for free on both ryanair and aerlingus?

ryanair faq talks about free stroller for infants only(nothing about children)
    aerlingus says free stroller check in under their checked baggage rules.(but nothing under hand luggage)

can anyone experienced confirm please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭daisydood

hi,
    im travelling out on Aerlingus and returning back to dublin on Ryanair.
    Im travelling with my 27month old daughter in her stroller.
    i dont have any checked luggage. travelling with hand luggage only.

is the stroller allowed for free on both ryanair and aerlingus?

ryanair faq talks about free stroller for infants only(nothing about children)
    aerlingus says free stroller check in under their checked baggage rules.(but nothing under hand luggage)

can anyone experienced confirm please?

Hi I can't comment on aer lingua but we flew with Ryanair this summer with a 4 year old (she never uses a stroller but I figured there would be lots of walking so I brought it) and there was no issues. Bring it up to check in desk as if your checking in a bag and they will put it on the belt or if you'd rather keep it until boarding they give you the label to put on and you leave it at side of plane and the guys put it on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭Chemical Byrne

Hi. I'm flying Dublin to Hamburg tomorrow with Aer Lingus. Will I be allowed bring 2 backpacks with me as cabin baggage? They are not big rucksack type things, just regular 25L backpacks.

I'm also flying Oslo to Dublin next week. Will I be allowed the 2?

I know Ryanair now allow the 2 items of cabin baggage per person.

Thanks for any advice folks!

I see from Aer Lingus' website they allow the full size cabin case plus one smaller item like a laptop bag.
    http://www.aerlingus.com/travelinformation/baggageinformation/cabinbaggage/

SAS have a similar thing on their site:
    http://www.flysas.com/en/ie/travel-info/baggage/cabin-baggage/

Would I be able to get away with the 2 backpacks? What are peoples experiences.
    Should I ask the check in staff or would I only be shooting myself in the foot?
    What will happen if I present at the gate and they get contrary and say I can't bring 2? Will they fleece me raw to check it in?

Please help, only 13 hours to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

You'll be fine on EI anyway & even if the flights fairly full, you can always stick one of them under the seat in front. Long time since I've gone with SAS, so not sure how strictly they enforce cabin baggage policy.

If there's an issue at the gate, they'll tag it and you'll pass it to a handler on the gangway & collect it from baggage reclaim at your destination. There won't be a charge for that either.

Really? That's pretty good! So you think I should chance it then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mr rebel

Yes I would. Aer Lingus from my experience are very relaxed when it comes to luggage issues, and at most they will just tell you that it will have to go in the hold but for free of charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,774 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Ask them can you check your hand luggage in at the desk. Then just give them one bag and take the other on. We did that this year...was so easy..5 bags on as hand luggage plus our suitcase and on we went.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Ask them can you check your hand luggage in at the desk. Then just give them one bag and take the other on. We did that this year...was so easy..5 bags on as hand luggage plus our suitcase and on we went.

If you check in hand luggage do you have to pay for it?

If you check in hand luggage do you have to pay for it?

Not a cent. Think they are happy for you to do this. Saves them time when it comes to getting everyone on and off the plane.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Yes.

I travel with EI all the time and what you're planning to lug on is very unlikely to meet with resistance from a gate agent.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,248 ✭✭✭✭fits

Same with SAS. They normally dont have hold baggage congestion though as most ticjets include a checked bag.

mfceiling wrote: »
    Not a cent. Think they are happy for you to do this. Saves them time when it comes to getting everyone on and off the plane.

And when you say at the desk, do you mean I give it to them at the check in desk in the terminal or at the desk at the gate right before boarding the plane?

By the way, thanks for the advice so far. It's putting my mind at ease somewhat. Keep it coming with the advice though, I'm not a frequent flyer and would hate for something to go wrong or be fleeced.

And when you say at the desk, do you mean I give it to them at the check in desk in the terminal or at the desk at the gate right before boarding the plane?

By the way, thanks for the advice so far. It's putting my mind at ease somewhat. Keep it coming with the advice though, I'm not a frequent flyer and would hate for something to go wrong or be fleeced.

We gave ours in at the check in desk both in dublin and milan. This was only last month. You'll have no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Oriordad

I am flying with family (2 AD & 2 kids) to Orlando via Newark out of Shannon on United Airlines. I am wondering can I get the full baggage allowance of 23kg for kids travelling or for adult only. Also can kids carry a full 10kg for cabin baggage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Oriordad wrote: »
    I am flying with family (2 AD & 2 kids) to Orlando via Newark out of Shannon on United Airlines. I am wondering can I get the full baggage allowance of 23kg for kids travelling or for adult only. Also can kids carry a full 10kg for cabin baggage.

Are they paying full adult fare?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Oriordad

They are paying as full price childrens fare which were cheaper than adult price but not much. They are not infants

• Registered Users Posts: 81,112 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

23kg each and 10kg carry on once they are fee paying.
    Checked baggage allowance for children

The standard checked baggage allowance applies to children with purchased tickets, including infants traveling internationally on 10 percent of an adult fare. If a child’s baggage allowance is exceeded, the excess will become part of the fare-paying adult's baggage allowance. All standard checked baggage restrictions and service charges apply.

https://www.united.com/web/en-US/content/travel/baggage/infant.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

I am traveling with aer lingus to berlin. I have not booked for checked baggage, now I am slightly worried. I would like to bring.

a) "school" backpack , wear on my back for my laptop

+
    b) small Helly hanson duffle bag 26cm x 53cm ( http://shop.hellyhansen.com/ie/item/packable-duffelbag-s-67824/?t_type=src&COLOR=990%20BLACK&t_type=cat )

They both seem to fit inside the allowed dimensions, but only just, anyone else any experience with aer lingus and backpack + small duffle ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Thanks but I hoping to hear from someone with experience similar to mine, for example in the video on the aer lingus site it says, slim laptop bag is ok, while rucksack would not be, but yet my rucksack fits inside the dimensions of a carry on.
    Just curious how strict they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aer Lingus are not at all strict, provided you don't take the total p1ss though a lot of grumpy passengers here and in the aviation forum complain about people who carry the kitchen sink on board and delay other passengers while they find spots to stow their multiple big bags in the overhead bins.

The worst that will happen you is that they will confiscate the bigger bag at the boarding gate to put in the hold but I've only ever seen that happen with afternoon flights to Dublin from Heathrow where most flights are pretty full and hardly anybody has checked in bags meaning that everyone is carrying overnight bags and a lot of laptops.

By the sound of it you will probably have less carry-on than most of the other passengers, you definitely won't have a problem on a flight to Berlin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭Damien360

As another poster said, aer lingus are not strict but they should be.

I was recently on a flight to Zurich and a flight to Brussels. On each flight, most people had massive bags as carry on resulting in no room for anyone else with genuine hand baggage size luggage.

Every single one of my aer lingus short haul flights are a pain in the arse to get space to even put a laptop bag up top and I end of having it under the seat in front.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Damien360 wrote: »
    As another poster said, aer lingus are not strict but they should be.

I was recently on a flight to Zurich and a flight to Brussels. On each flight, most people had massive bags as carry on resulting in no room for anyone else with genuine hand baggage size luggage.

Every single one of my aer lingus short haul flights are a pain in the arse to get space to even put a laptop bag up top and I end of having it under the seat in front.

Q.E.D.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Memories

Hello folks!

Question for you all, unfortunately last night I was admitted to A&E with bad tonsillitis and am now out of the hospital thankfully after being on drips all night and have been given the clearance to fly.

However, I am now on a crazy amount of tablets. I have 4 boxes and a mouthwash sort of thing. Nearly 45 tablets for my short 3 day trip. I'm flying from Dublin to Birmingham via Ryanair in 3 days time and using only hand luggage.

I've asked in both hospital and my pharmacist as to if I would need a letter or proof to fly with these and neither had any ideas as to what would happen and doubted I would need anything as the boxes obviously have my name and the pharmacy dosage sticker etc. I have no letter except for my hospital discharge letter and a work sick cert.

Could anyone please shed some light on the situation?
    Thanking you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭suds1984

https://www.ryanair.com/ie/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview#1-7. Only concern would be the liquid. Is it under 100ml? If not make sure it is labelled from the pharmacy that you got it from. Was told in Heathrow that prescribed medication is excempt from the 100ml/need to fit into plastic bag.

Advertisement