Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

what do i need for bike commuting

• 07-07-2014 3:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

so i live in north cork and instead of moving to the city for college again this year i'm living at home. my plan is to cycle 15km to the bus, chain up my bike, take that to the city, get the bus back and cycle home.my only worry is how safe the roads would be on a dark morning at 6.30AM. has anyone got any advice on the gear i'll need to get kitted out with. any help (and links to items) would be appreciated. thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

i'd be more worried about how safe your bike will be!!

With a good set of lights and I personally like a Hi Viz jacket too you'll be fine on the roads!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭dizzymenace

CatFromHue wrote: »
    i'd be more worried about how safe your bike will be!!

With a good set of lights and I personally like a Hi Viz jacket too you'll be fine on the roads!

but what kind of lights is the thing, i've seen lights that cost 40 quid and have 2000lm but i don't want to splash out the cash for something i dont need if a couple 3 quid lights will do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

The brighter the better, if you're going to be riding on dark mornings. Ask someone to drive you along your cycling route at the same time (or an equivalent in darkness) and observe how well you can or can't see various cyclists.
    A set of spoke reflectors http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pack-Premier-Spoke-Reflectors-ROADUSERDIRECT/dp/B009N3DSA4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404714780&sr=8-2&keywords=spoke+reflectors also make you very visible, and reflective wrist and ankle bands http://www.amazon.co.uk/Visibility-Reflective-Ankle-Yellow-Fluorescent/dp/B007UNHZU8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1404715141&sr=8-3&keywords=reflective+wrist+band are useful, especially so that drivers can see you signalling for a turn.
    And yes, do get a good lock: two, in fact, one of the New York series of Kryptonites, and a cable lock as well.

thanks qualitymark, i really appreciate the advice, and the links.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

thanks qualitymark, i really appreciate the advice, and the links.

What part of Cork are you living?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Hey OP,
    I agree on the lights, not so much on the need for high viz though. If you have good lights, there will be no need for high viz. Make sure you get lights that have lenses that wrap a little around the side so you will be seen from more than one direction.

You will encounter 'weather'. I suggest wearing comfortable cycling gear and changing at your destination, rather than wearing layers of rain gear - rain gear will probably let in water over 15km anyway.

I keep a set of these handy during summer, for when I need lights for convenience, but don't want to carry anything bulky. They are surprisingly effective at keeping you seen, but are better for cycling in lit streets rather than unlit country roads, as they do not illuminate much of the street ahead of you, I have more dedicated lights for that reason...

Learn to lock your bike properly. I use a double locking technique. I also suggest good locks. Here is my choice - best compromise between security and weight... Its also possible to keep your locks locked at your destination, so you don't have to carry them constantly (if you don't need them elsewhere). Its best not to carry locks in your pockets, you don't want to fall on one.

Depending on the quality of roads and your bike set-up, you may need to carry a multitool for changing tubes in case of a puncture and adjusting brakes, gears & saddle. Also, a puncture repair kit is a bit redundant. Carry a spare tube if you need to & if you do get a puncture, you can repair the old tube at home later.

Get a good waterproof backpack for carrying your stuff/cloths & its no harm to bring a drink

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A couple of ideas for lighting and on offer at the moment (but it depends on your budget):

Front Light: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/lezyne-power-drive-xl-400l-front-light-loaded-/rp-prod86391 (can be recharged via USB)

Rear Light: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/smart-2-superflash-led-rear-light/rp-prod121161

Here's an article on good locking technique. http://lifehacker.com/5942301/the-proper-way-to-lock-your-bicycle

I have had all the quick-release removed from my bike and replaced with allen bolts - I use my multi tool when necessary... This means hopefully an opportunist won't feck off with your saddle etc...

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Here's an article on good locking technique.

I have had all the quick-release removed from my bike and replaced with allen bolts - I use my multi tool when necessary... This means hopefully an opportunist won't feck off with your saddle etc...

wow, the lock system is pretty intuitive, normally i just tie it up at the frame but this is very clever.

ive got one other question. i've cycled with a backpack on my back before on recreational cycling and it gets pretty sweaty. i don't wanna have to lug a backpack on my back on a 40 minute cycle and then go through 5 hours of classes. i was checking out bike racks but they all seem to be for panniers, do you know of or have you seen any for back packs

ford2600 wrote: »
    What part of Cork are you living?

i live in north cork, in a village called conna, near fermoy and rathcormac

• Advertisement

wow, the lock system is pretty intuitive, normally i just tie it up at the frame but this is very clever.

ive got one other question. i've cycled with a backpack on my back before on recreational cycling and it gets pretty sweaty. i don't wanna have to lug a backpack on my back on a 40 minute cycle and then go through 5 hours of classes. i was checking out bike racks but they all seem to be for panniers, do you know of or have you seen any for back packs

Most rear racks will do: http://www.amazon.com/Delta-Cycle-MR150-Ultra-Megarack/dp/B003COE2E6/ref=sr_1_44?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1404719720&sr=1-44&keywords=cycle+rack just strap your stuff down with bungees

I use a front rack, but its probably more useful for city cycling than a 15km commute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

i live in north cork, in a village called conna, near fermoy and rathcormac

I have often cycled through.

Don't skimp on lights on that road. Catch bus in Rathcormac?

ford2600 wrote: »
    I have often cycled through.

Don't skimp on lights on that road. Catch bus in Rathcormac?

yeahp , the 7:40 am bus so i'm going to have to get up on time, i wonder what that feels like :s

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I keep a set of these handy during summer, for when I need lights for convenience, but don't want to carry anything bulky.

@bluefoam, that link is to the multitool, could you post again?

@dizzymenace, I'd respectfully disagree on the high-viz, speaking as a (former) driver - when someone's in a fluorescent vest or jacket with reflective strips, s/he's noticeable from 100 metres; in ordinary clothes, only from perhaps 20 metres. In winter, especially, I always wear fluorescent and reflective vest or jacket; on dark and rainy days I actually have one the lights up and says 'SLOW' on the back - drivers fall around laughing and young lads shout "Slow!!!" out of car windows at me, guffawing hysterically, but I don't mind; it means they see me!

@bluefoam, that link is to the multitool, could you post again?

@dizzymenace, I'd respectfully disagree on the high-viz, speaking as a (former) driver - when someone's in a fluorescent vest or jacket with reflective strips, s/he's noticeable from 100 metres; in ordinary clothes, only from perhaps 20 metres. In winter, especially, I always wear fluorescent and reflective vest or jacket; on dark and rainy days I actually have one the lights up and says 'SLOW' on the back - drivers fall around laughing and young lads shout "Slow!!!" out of car windows at me, guffawing hysterically, but I don't mind; it means they see me!

I always wear a high-viz jacket when cycling, i'm all for em, it's an added layer of protection that costs literally nothing as you can get them everywhere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

These Respro reflective ankle bands are good. They catch driver's attention as they are always moving as you pedal.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/respro-hi-viz-ankle-bands/rp-prod23571
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Respro-Reflective-Ankle-bands-Site/dp/B000NOPW06
    They are more expensive than I remembered.

Oh yeah, I use those Cateye bungee lights too; two live on my detachable bike basket (by the way, also a good thing to have:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Rixen-Kaul-Reisenthel-Handlebar-Blue/dp/B0024NK39Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1404724812&sr=1-1&keywords=reisenthel+handlebar+bags

as it holds an immense amount of shopping).

.... a 40 minute cycle and then go through 5 hours of classes...
    Do you intend wearing ordinary clothes on the cycle? If so I'd be more concerned about getting into a warm bus and sitting next to someone with steam rising from me - never mind sitting in the same clothes all day. It will be particularly difficult on very wet days as your feet will be squelching by the time you get on the bus and will probably begin to smell during the day as they dry out. Sorry to put a dampener (pun unintended!) on it!

Is cycling the whole distance an option for you. It's about 40k I'd say - 1hr 30 mins approx on bike.

Do you intend wearing ordinary clothes on the cycle? If so I'd be more concerned about getting into a warm bus and sitting next to someone with steam rising from me - never mind sitting in the same clothes all day. It will be particularly difficult on very wet days as your feet will be squelching by the time you get on the bus and will probably begin to smell during the day as they dry out. Sorry to put a dampener (pun unintended!) on it!

Is cycling the whole distance an option for you. It's about 40k I'd say - 1hr 30 mins approx on bike.

my plan is to wear shorts and a shirt. have a messenger bag with books etc onn my back and a poyester drawstring bag with a change of clothes on a bag rack. i was going to chain my bike up in the back yard of a friend of a friend, wipe down, have a quick change and a bit of deodorant and leave my bike kit there unilt i get back (no-one will ever know, i'll be like superman in a phonebox)

i thought about cycling the whole hog but 3 hours on a bike on a day, that's if im consistent, i reckon that kind of regime will break me down instead of build me up. besides, no way in hell am i cycling that road.

• Advertisement

:eek: ? For Superman, maybe! It takes me an hour to cycle the 14km to Dun Laoghaire from Rathmines!
    my plan is to wear shorts and a shirt. have a messenger bag with books etc onn my back and a poyester drawstring bag with a change of clothes on a bag rack. i was going to chain my bike up in the back yard of a friend of a friend, wipe down, have a quick change and a bit of deodorant and leave my bike kit there unilt i get back (no-one will ever know, i'll be like superman in a phonebox)

Perfect plan! In fact, if your friend is allowing you to change inside, you could even leave your change of clothes in his/her place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

:eek: ? For Superman, maybe! It takes me an hour to cycle the 14km to Dun Laoghaire from Rathmines!

Perfect plan! In fact, if your friend is allowing you to change inside, you could even leave your change of clothes in his/her place.

Ah to be fair, I'm pretty slow myself but 40k isn't a huge distance, especially if it has any significant amount of flat or descending. Rathmines to Dunlaoghaire is quite a conngested cycle too. Rural and Suburban roads allow faster progress.

Ah to be fair, I'm pretty slow myself but 40k isn't a huge distance, especially if it has any significant amount of flat or descending. Rathmines to Dunlaoghaire is quite a conngested cycle too. Rural and Suburban roads allow faster progress.

Well, no - the way I go is direct and on quiet roads; when I say 'Rathmines', it's more Harold's Cross, and I go out by Kilmacud and wheeee down all the way to the harbour. On the way back I take the flatter coast road, which has several nice bike paths through parks by the sea, etc. Still takes me an hour! Maybe I should try EPO?

:eek: ? For Superman, maybe! It takes me an hour to cycle the 14km to Dun Laoghaire from Rathmines! .
    I thought I was being generous!

I normally calculate 2 mins per km which would have been 1hr 20m so I threw in another 10 mins.

I normally calculate 2 mins per km which would have been 1hr 20m so I threw in another 10 mins.

Going to lie down for a little rest now before getting up out of bed…

And to think I was being attacked with angry denials by non-cyclists on another thread recently for saying it took only 15 minutes for me to cycle from Harold's Cross to the GPO!

:

i was going to just tie it to the bike, i dont want to wake 'em up at 7:20am, but yeah, i feel as though i got it locked down pretty well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I've gotten my time to Bray (20km from the city centre) down to 45 minutes each way on the N11, that's on my commuter usually with change of clothes, laptop or tools in the panniers. (and about five minutes of sitting in Traffic or at lights).

Advertisement