Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Shopping in Northern Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42 angela59

Hi Envelope,

Thanks for the reply. I also want to buy a canon eos 1000d camera and I'll either purchase on ebay or if I can get it for cheaper than down here even though it may cost a little more than ebay I will purchase.

Many thanks for your help - at least I can plan out the day.

Angela59

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭bcirl03

Headshot wrote: »
    for TV/sound systems

Highly recommend Richer Sounds in Belfast.

Check out www.richersounds.ie - they also have a forum here on boards.ie http://boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1105 - they used to offer free delivery for boards.ie members but not too sure if that still applies, it did two months ago when I ordered some equipment.

Give them a call, very helpful and you can haggle :)

Hi bcirl03,

Thanks for that - will look into it. I'm looking to go to sainsburys as well as argos also, the quays in Newry looks good but has anyone used rushmere shopping centre craigavon?

Angela59

• Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

Cicero wrote: »
    I can see why you might want one, & sounds like a good idea, but can't see how the thread you are proposing differs from this one..would it not end up pretty similar to this one? ...if it's purpose was better defined, it might get the go-ahead, or is it that simple:confused:

A Northern Ireland Bargains Alert could have different threads for different stores,

Asda Bargains
    Argos Bargains
    Tesco Bargains and so on

Also if you read through this whole thread you will see the same questions asked over and over again, like, Whats the best way to pay? Is their an Adsa in Newry? This thread has exceeded 3,000 posts and will continue to grow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭dlambirl

Richersounds in Belfast - they have a forum on here.

Check out: www.richersounds.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TarfHead

angela59 wrote: »
    I'm looking to go to sainsburys as well as argos also

Both are in Libsurn Sprucefield.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,457 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Hi bcirl03,

Thanks for that - will look into it. I'm looking to go to sainsburys as well as argos also, the quays in Newry looks good but has anyone used rushmere shopping centre craigavon?

Angela59

Angela,

The Sainsburys at Sprucefield is Soo much nicer than the Quays in Newry, never any queues and it's only about another 30 mins max up the road. There is also an amazing Marks & Sparks across the other side of the roundabout.

I honestly think that the Sprucefield Sainsburys has a much better selection than Newry and it's just a more civilised place to shop!

I'm there at least once a week on my way home from work,

ATB,

John Mc

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Danny-B

Headshot wrote: »
    for TV/sound systems
    As well as Richersounds, you could also try Sam's Yer Man, in Belfast.
    They have some good offers, though don't let their salespeople press you into getting extra rubbish you don't need.

http://www.samsyerman.co.uk/

Got a T.V. from there myself a couple of months back, and can't really complain -- the price was good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Hi bcirl03,

Angela59

Rushmere is grand, has both Tesco and Sainsbury's, Argos, Matalan, Curry's, Sony Store, the usual women's clothing shops and plenty of other places I didn't see. Lots of free parking, the Sainsbury's was better than Newry in terms of stock and size (and lack of crowds), but Sprucefield beats them both by a country mile.

Hi all,

Thanks for all the replies - am travelling from carlow so will be up early on Saturday morning and head straight for Lisburn and stock up. Btw it was a camera I was after not a TV so thanks for the advice for richer sounds but I think another poster was looking for the TV. I will let you know how I get on.

Many thanks

Angela59:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Some good deals on cameras in Jessops Newry last time I was in there...that said, they're probably cheaper again on the net from UK retailers.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Gibs

its probably been posted before but here is a useful price comparison site that shows the differences between prices in the republic and prices in the uk. Not sure if these prices are reflected exactly in the north but it makes for hair-raising reading anyway:

http://www.dualpricing.ie/

;)

• Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

So nowhere in the document to suggest that there would be different pricing in Newry, Sprucefield and the more Northern Sainsbury stores? I don't think there are any of the mini Sainsbury's in NI.

It's there alright - couched in those lovely words "generally" "predominantly" . As you can see they show certainty in relation to past practices but current practices are less clear (for obvious reasons).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Gibs wrote: »
    its probably been posted before but here is a useful price comparison site that shows the differences between prices in the republic and prices in the uk. Not sure if these prices are reflected exactly in the north but it makes for hair-raising reading anyway:

http://www.dualpricing.ie/

;)

I've put together a quick site that will do a UK v. IE price comparison on a product from Argos:

http://www.cataloguecompare.com/

Pop in a catalogue number, if the product exists on both argos.ie and argos.co.uk then it will be compared and the pricing difference shown.

Pop in 659/1348 to see the largest price difference I've found so far, its unbelievable!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

viking wrote: »

Good idea - fair play!!!

Hi Viking,

You've confirmed what I thought. I was pricing a canon eos 1000d camera in argos uk which costs £342 sterling converted back E385 according to catalogue compare - a huge difference of E164 :eek: between buying it north versus south - it's as cheap as buying online only that you have a shop to bring it back to if anything goes wrong. Thanks for that most helpful information.:)

Angela59

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

Thanks for that most helpful information.:)

Angela59

np, glad you found the site useful :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Dublindelly

Does anyone know where the new cross border shopping bus picks up in Dublin on a Saturday to go to Newry? What time does it go?

Sainsburys in Newry is a total meleè on the weekend.

A lot of the shelves are just cleaned out by Southern shoppers by Saturday afternoon.

The two big shopping centres have decimated Newry High Street. Supervalu gives 85p on the Euro on the main street.

If you are going to Newry, try and aim to get up there for 9am, or else parking is just pure hell.

There's also a big retail park just a mile up from the Newry roundabout called the Damolly retail park, with the likes of B&Q, Land of Leather, etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

looks like asda may be opening in dundalk, the end of having to go north to shop?!
    http://www.dundalkdemocrat.ie/dundalknews/ASDA-heading-for-Dundalk.5171110.jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 654 ✭✭✭sillyputty

Noooooooo - I live in Dundalk and from experience of shopping in Newry and the traffic and crowds that go with it I hope its not the end of shopping in the North, ive spoken to people from Newry and its not fun.
    On a side note it will probably be 2011 before Asda opens from what i hear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,891 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What are you on about?

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Anyone knows where i can buy engine oil in enniskillen?

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭andyeire

Asda :eek: ........ 4.5 ltr 20W50 £6.00

5ltr 10W40 £12.50

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭devil-80

Ok but not asda brand-I want castrol,mobile etc;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

My experience from yesterday.

The wife had a dentist appointment in Ballybot Dental Clinic at 9:45. 2 fillings, a mouthguard fitted and root canal work and all for £350. Its not only groceries that are cheap :D.

Went straight over to Sainsbury's in the Quays. No trouble getting parking (at 10:15). Shop was packed, but not to the point where we had to queue for a trolley or slalom through the aisles. Picked up a good shop for £93, including some great deals on meat (7 pork chops and casserole steak pieces for a fiver) and drink. Shelves were well stocked and the queue at the checkout was only 2 deep. Drove back with a full boot at 12pm and the queues on the motorway coming towards Newry were awful.

Summary: leave early and its fine. Arrive anytime after 11am and you're gonna struggle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bhm

Hi, I made my maiden voyage to the north today with husband and 5 yr old in tow.;)

We left Dublin at 9.am, and arrived at the outlet, bridgewater park, banbridge at 10.20. Fantastic shopping and prices. Headed on to Sprucefield which took about 15 mins. Absolutely no traffic and no problem parking.

Sainsbury was great, not too busy, and tonnes of bargains, special offers, half price etc. Got some stuff in Argos, much cheaper that here, and the accross the road to M+S. Again much cheaper that than here. Great Boots too. Left there at about 4.40, a bit hard to get out of the centre, (M+Sside), but again no real traffic, a bit slow coming thru the road works at Newry, but fine. Back home by 6.15. It was easier than navagating the Blanchardstown centre!!!!

Will definitely do it again - soon.:):):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭bobbbb

sillyputty wrote: »
    Noooooooo - I live in Dundalk and from experience of shopping in Newry and the traffic and crowds that go with it I hope its not the end of shopping in the North, ive spoken to people from Newry and its not fun.
    On a side note it will probably be 2011 before Asda opens from what i hear.

Dont worry. Our genius government will probably have a tax on parking there or something. People will still go north then.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭colhickey

Went for our first trip to the north last Saturday - as it was a Saturday, drove straight past Newry (no traffic, but then again it was 8.55am) and on to Spucefield shopping centre in Lisburn.

Wife wasn't impressed with the number of shops, parked in the M&S side of the park. Met a nice lady in the queue in their cafe who said to go on into Lisburn town centre and park in the Bow Street Mall centre car park (think Jervis Street), which is all well signposted.

Bow street mall has plenty of shops (British Home Stores, Adams, Dorothy Perkins, Dunnes, JD/JJB/Lifestyle Sports, M&S Simply Food, Game, HMV, Menarys, Primark, TK Maxx, Vision Express etc.). The wife went wild in Menary's as the makeup counter prices were seriously cheaper than at home (she was getting items (how would I know, I'm a guy!) down south for €38 and same items were £18 here). Also, staff could not have been nicer (smile on their face, were interested, would check anything out, loads of free samples etc), and they said that they always like getting people from the south in as they love the look on their faces when they tell them the prices - we are like guaranteed sales! Also, spend over £15 in M&S Simply Food and they have a deal for parking on.

Walk right outside and you are basically on the main Lisburn shopping street with shops like Jessops (cameras), Superdrug, Easons, Waterstones etc.

For the hungry, there is a little square off the main street (main picture here is the square) which has some nice shops and an Argos, but also has a Wetherspoons pub. Food in Wetherspoons is very good, prices are fantastic. They have a special for two main courses for £6.20 (lasagne, cottage pie, bolognaise etc.) and on Monday's they have some fabulous Monday Club deals on, all day breakfast for around £2.49, pints (Guinness, real ales etc.) for £1.49. All in all, well worth a visit.

Found some fantastic bargains in Argos there also that I couldn't find on their website at the time, Canon Powershot A470 7 megapixel camera with a Canon Selphy mini photo size printer all for £98, Canon all in one printer, copier, scanner for £29.99. They were also doing a deal where you get £5 back on spending £50 and £10 back on £100, so it was even cheaper!

Went back to Sprucefield and went to Sainsbury's (Saturday afternoon) and got a parking space immediately. Crowded at that time, but not bad. Plenty of parking, loads of free trolleys, and while very busy, no shelf stock issues and plenty of small queues at checkouts of which they had every one of them open. Not bad for a Saturday afternoon!

Went back via the Banbridge Outlet. Needless to say, she went mad. Much better than the Kildare outlet and plenty of sales/deals on. Some shops were doing a 1 for 1 on the € to £ (Samsonite etc.) which was excellent.

All in all, have to say it was a tiring day, but very financially worthwhile. The wife even wants to move there - and that says it all! Will definitely be back, but will have to get a van! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

DonJose wrote: »
    A Northern Ireland Bargains Alert could have different threads for different stores,

Asda Bargains
    Argos Bargains
    Tesco Bargains and so on

Also if you read through this whole thread you will see the same questions asked over and over again, like, Whats the best way to pay? Is their an Adsa in Newry? This thread has exceeded 3,000 posts and will continue to grow.

Hi DonJose,

Have been with this thread a long time- agree with you..only clicking with me now that you're asking for a forum as opposed to a thread (sorry, I'm not very used to this:o )...it's the way to go for this thread..will have to be heavily moderated though,,otherwise you'll still get quotes like..I know there's a sticky but.....is there a sainsburys in ...??? etc etc so the construction of the forum would need to be spot on, but happy to support and thanks for suggesting it....

• Advertisement

Hi All,

Did the maiden voyage up north today to Sprucefield centre, Lisburn. Hit sainsburys first and did plenty of damage there and again the staff couldn't be any more helpful. Headed into Argos in Lisburn Square and purchase Nikon D40, bag and 4GB memory Card - £287 - paid by Credit card so converts to E326. Kids got ninetendo games and will games with their pocket money - games anything from E15 cheaper Argos up north. Well worth the trip and will do it again. Thanks for all the advice and pointers.:)

Angela59

Advertisement