Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attack of The Clones discuss?

• 24-05-2002 11:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

I saw Attack of The Clones, it was good but by no means outstanding, part of the reason for that was the love story between Amidala and Anakin, dragged on, for 15 to 20 mins I thought I was watching an ep of Dawsons Creek lol. However it vastly improved it was superior to Phanton Menace Mcgregor was good as Obi Wan and the battles were brill, The darkness hasn’t really entered the film as of yet, Lucas did say the second one was going to be darker but it wasn’t really. The best SW film IMHO is Empire Strikes Back and Lucas didn’t direct it.

7/10 for Attack of The Clones

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

The only reason (apparantly) Lucas wanted to direct the films, was so he could have better material to edit. He's big into the editing. Weirdo :P

I found the love story part refreshing, though it could have been scripted/worked out better. Still, it adds to the characters, especially Anakin and he's big love/hate battle.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Agreed.. the love story is essential as without it we would not have Luke and Leia... dragged on a bit but i did not yawn once.. i swear! As for being dark.. it was a lot darker than Phantom menace... I still enjoyed phantom menace but in MY oppinion Ep 2 was actually better than Empire Strikes back.. that was my least fave of the lot of them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭darthmise

i thought the love story was dealt with quite well. The film jumped to and from it and it was never more than five minutes at a time so it didn't break the film's tempo too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭photty

Come on now.. it was utter rubbish. I admit the special fx were awsome, but it felt like the actors were taking the piss or something. Still I dont blame them when you hear the tripe they have to speak. Dont get me wrong, I do love the SW movies (Empire being the best of course) but this is even worse than episode one. Compare how Harrison Ford played Han Solo to any of the performances in this movie and you'll see what I mean. I didnt give a toss about any of them or their mothers. The orignal movies drew you in so much more! I think Lucas believes his own hype!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I certainly found it an improvement to the appallingly saccharine Phantom Menace. It certainly appeared darker, although largely due to the fact that it was clearly not geared towards kids this time round - the sense of the Republic being manipulated into a dark oblivion were present in both movies. Personally, for me the highlight was the Machiavellian manipulation that is quietly employed, to which the good guys remain largely oblivious to throughout. I also found the love story a little painful, as I found Anakin’s acting poor (Obi Wan’s, on the other hand has improved since the Phantom Menace).

Overall, slow starting, perhaps but certainly picks up in the last third or so of the movie. I suspect, given the number of plotlines that had to squashed in, it’s more than likely that one would have missed something on one’s first viewing.

[Spoiler.Alert – DO NOT READ FURTHER IF YOU’VE NOT SEEN IT YET!]
    The origin of the Storm troopers was well addressed (one gets the impression that when originally mentioned in A New Hope, the ‘Clone Wars’ was a throw away phrase that Lucas had to somehow work into the story - which he has). Yoda rocked - When he opens up his coat to revile a light sabre, the entire theatre seemed to gasp in unison - “No. You’ve got to be taking the p1ss!” Yet it worked well.

Jar Jar Bink’s most important cameo in the senate was a clever idea. Here we had the comic relief that failed to be funny, from the previous episode, doing the only thing he knows how to do, which is be a buffoon, and handing absolute power over to the bad guys on a silver platter (yet another reason that he should die ;)).

Palatine is excellent, and frankly the best scene of the film comes at the end as he oversees his new ‘grand army of the republic’ boarding the first Star Destroyers - with the ‘Imperial March’ in the background for the first time, of course...
    [/Spoiler.Alert]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Good points Corithian, but it would be hard not to improve on TPM :D I've heard a lot of people saying it was a kids film (Ep2), which I totally disagree with. Far too much story and love elements to keep kids interested. Not enough Jar Jar ;)

[big spoilers]

especially liked the part where they introduced their new secret weapon plans at the end, mmm death star

[/big spoilers]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 931 ✭✭✭c0y0te

AS has been already stated.. it was a major improvement on TPM, but to be honest that's not difficult. TPM was a complete disaster.

However, from a plot perspective I do not think it was dark enough. It did show glimpses of 'darkness' with various scenes involving Anakin, however it still missed the mark by a mile if the objective was to demonstrate the start of the slide into the 'dark side'.

Musically - nothing came close to the dark compositions of 'Empire', and I would have suspected that Williams would want to foreshadow or at least indicate the darkness within the music, as a simple queue for the audience. It just didnt' happen however.

I was hoping for better / more engaging acting, but found it instead mostly wooden.

Overall a good film, entertaining and popcorn fun..., but taken in context of the trilogy and things to come, not quite the dark half I was expecting.

I does leave the emphasis on the third episode for Anakins slide, but I felt it should have been signposted more in ep. 2 so that we could engage fully with the character and actually give a ****. One thing all the original movies had was seriously well developed characters, that we all cared about. When they died, it was tragic, When they escaped it was wonderful.. but at no time was anyone indifferent.

Unfortunately with the new stuff Lucas seems to have lost the plot a bit, and a lot of people just don't get as engaged with the characters and the story.

I must say that I did enjoy the references in ep. 2 to future events, but it was not enough for me. I wanted more from Anakin, I wanted to care about his slide to the dark side, the way I did about his redepmtion in 'Jedi'.

I know that people always make the argument that we were all a lot younger when we saw the original 3 eps, but that argument is invalid for those of us who watch those films every year, and see something new in them each time.

Bottom line... ep 2 was popcorn fun, but still nowhere near the quality of the original 3.

c0y0te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭prenton

1: Who ordered the Clone army? Forget his name
    2: Did Obi Wan not say that the guy from Q1 dies before he ordered the clone army? Whats that about?
    3: Are the Q1 guy, the chancellor and the emperor all the same guy?
    4: Did he order the robot army as well?
    5: Before the Jedis found out about the clone/robot army what was the emporers plans for his 2 armies?
    6: If Count Duckula :), sorry, Dooku was an ex Jedi turned to the dark side what didn't the Jedi just sort him out.
    7: Anakin reminded me of Harry Endfields character of "Kevin", its soooo unfair.
    8: For Anakin to turn to the dark side in the 3rd ep theres a lot of groud to cover. Ok, he got nasty and wiped out the village that killed his mother for revenge but he got married at the end and should be happy enough. He must slide very quickly in ep 3.
    Also got his 2 children going into hiding story to cover. Thats a alot.
    9: Why were they trying to kill Portmans character in the first place, she isn't the Queen anymore.
    10: The council (Jar Jar) gave the power to the Chancellor but can they not just take it back when the war is over.

Thought it was pretty cool when they went to see Anakins mothers home and Anakins half brother who will raise Luke. Nice.

Sorry if these are really stupid questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Spiffing

Originally posted by The Corinthian
    “No. You’ve got to be taking the p1ss!” Yet it worked well.

It was taking the p*ss though, he was leaping abot the whole fooking room like an acrobat, and when the fight ended he picked up his stick and started hobbling along!

This movies great though for ONE reason!:

Natalie Portman! :D

SPOLERS - DO NOT READ!!!

10: The council (Jar Jar) gave the power to the Chancellor but can they not just take it back when the war is over.

Once you grant someone right of dictatorship, you're really kind of screwed - much of the storyline in episodes 1 - 3 are based loosely on the fall of the Roman Republic an rise of the Emperors. The Republic had long had the political device of temporary dictatorship in times of crisis, but this was often abused and 'lengthened'.

Roman emperors we not emperors as we would know the term (at least not at the begining), but 'dictators for life'.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by prenton
    Basically the emporor
    2: Did Obi Wan not say that the guy from Q1 dies before he ordered the clone army? Whats that about?[/B]
    See answer 1
    3: Are the Q1 guy, the chancellor and the emperor all the same guy?[/B]
    Yes
    4: Did he order the robot army as well?[/B]
    YEs
    5: Before the Jedis found out about the clone/robot army what was the emporers plans for his 2 armies? [/B]
    Nothing more than what happened.. he knew they would find out and his plans were to have absolute power... the beginning of being emporor
    6: If Count Duckula :), sorry, Dooku was an ex Jedi turned to the dark side what didn't the Jedi just sort him out. [/B]
    They did not know he turned.. he just left as far as they knew
    7: Anakin reminded me of Harry Endfields character of "Kevin", its soooo unfair.[/B]
    True but he was barely out of puberty
    8: For Anakin to turn to the dark side in the 3rd ep theres a lot of groud to cover. Ok, he got nasty and wiped out the village that killed his mother for revenge but he got married at the end and should be happy enough. He must slide very quickly in ep 3.
    Also got his 2 children going into hiding story to cover. Thats a alot.[/B]
    Rhetorical question.. you answered it yourself.
    9: Why were they trying to kill Portmans character in the first place, she isn't the Queen anymore. [/B]
    She was the most oppinionated senetor + it gave a good opening for the story.
    10: The council (Jar Jar) gave the power to the Chancellor but can they not just take it back when the war is over.[/B]
    Eh Hitler? Mussonlini? Castro? sadam? ... etc etc... easier eaid than done when he has got his army.

Hope these answers help

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

post will contain spoilers

I nearly fell off my chair laughing when i seen Yoda come in with the walking stick then star jumping around like a lunatic, and then his light sabre was green! a green growth emerging from his mid-section!! :D LMAO

I thought the story was developed well, Anakin is drifting ever closer to the dark side.

Over all a good film, 7/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

SPOILER.

Forgive my spelling Darth Sidious, eg Palantine

2: Did Obi Wan not say that the guy from Q1 dies before he ordered the clone army? Whats that about?

Heres my theory, Sidious became Palantine, faked his own death sort of thing.

3: Are the Q1 guy, the chancellor and the emperor all the same guy?

Yep

4: Did he order the robot army as well?

No that was the trade feds, the chancellor wants start a war so he can justify using the army that he ordered.

5: Before the Jedis found out about the clone/robot army what was the emporers plans for his 2 armies?

To fight one another, odds are the emperor forsaw this, he can do groovy things like that.

6: If Count Duckula , sorry, Dooku was an ex Jedi turned to the dark side what didn't the Jedi just sort him out.

The dark side has clouded the jedi, so they can't since the dark side until it unveils itself, they just thought he was a renegade senator.
    7: Anakin reminded me of Harry Endfields character of "Kevin", its soooo unfair.
    Well ya :)

Also got his 2 children going into hiding story to cover. Thats a alot.

I think I know what happens, Portman will be killed and he will slide into the dark side, Doku will prolly kill her, he'll kill him and become Darth Vader.

9: Why were they trying to kill Portmans character in the first place, she isn't the Queen anymore.

But she is a senator and a senator against the creation of the grand army of the republic she wants to solve it through negociations

No, they have given him direct rule over the republic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭jonno

**********SPOILER MAYBE******************

I thought the love story was a refreshing subplot and worked well into the story although some of it could have been scripted better.

I agree with GreenHell on Anakin's slide to the dark side. He flipped so easily when his mother died. So if Portman dies he'll flip again. I think she's the only thing thta's holding him from the dark side at the moment. The love story also shows the contrast between Anakin's dark side and light side. It's an interesting development in the story.

I also agree that there's a hell of alot of ground to cover in the next episode to blend it in with Star Wars: A New Hope.

I loved the movie and hope the last trilogy in the story is made.
    I think it's just getting better and better. Roll on Episode III.

One thing I'm looking forward to seeing is how the hell they kill all the Jedi, they have a smaller number now, but its the cream of the crop that has survived. Also who is going to take Samual L Jackson down.

That scene where all the Jedis decloak, power up their light sabres and pull a cool fighting pose before wading into the robots. Pure class.

Aye, my favourite scene in the film, I like the guy with the squid head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

Just saw it last night - thought it was pretty good. The love story did drag on a bit. I found everytime they faded from Obi wan back to Anakins scenes, I wanted them to go straight back to Obi Wan coz it was more interesting following what he was doing. I didnt think Lucas needed to go on that long.
    I was really disappointed when they didnt show Anakin killing off all the Tuskin raiders - I thought it would have been deadly seeing him go berserk and slaughtering them all, showing how he's building up with such hatred.

The battle scenes were class, and unfortunately a friend had built up the Yoda fight so much that I was a bit disappointed when it only really lasted about 20 seconds. The creatures and the bug type ones in the end were all pretty amazing

They have pretty much explained everything now, the death star, Uncle Owen, C3P0, Bobba Fett - which was pretty funny, coz all those extras and fett were all from New Zealand which a mate I live with, from New Zealand, was laughing at coz they are all in soaps in New Zealand. Seems to be cost effective filming down under.

On the whole I thought it was a whole lot better than TPM. But you cant help but feel that there is still something lacking because they are spending so much time on the computer animations and special effects.

Me likes the bit when Sam L Jackson turned all 'Pulp Fiction like', pull out the light saber and says "This party's over". How does he do it so well?

I like the Jedi battle scene too - very well done.

Funnoest part of the movie is Yoda hobbling around the corner with the walkinfg stick and then opens a can of whoop ass on Dooku. Classic :D

Strong Yoda may not look but strong he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

the movie was mediocre at best, the actor playing anakin was woefull, there was zero chemistry between him and Portman. As for Yoda's fight scene, please, I laughed my ass off, its stupidly daft.

the film did look good, but having a crap actor in the main role ruined it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 smalltalker

You know who would have been better than Hayden Christensen?

Anyone!

Hell, I'm a girly, but even I could have played a better Anakin Skywalker.

I think he may have acting "issues". I read where he had to be told to stop making the swooshy noise when he was doing the scenes with the light sabres.

Yeah, I know, swooshy is not the correct term. ;)

Ya I agree Christenson was very poor in the lead role. The final auditions for the part included him and Joshua Jackson. I personally would have liked to have seen Jackson in the role. I think he's a good drama actor and mioght have added more depth to Anakin. But be happy that Leo Di Caprio didn't make it to final auditions.

On the love story not working, I think it did. The only flaw was the scripting of the two characters in the the respective scenes (e.g "I truely truely love you" wasn't the best line ever). But i didn't see a problem with the chemistry.

So did Mcgregor when he did TPM.

I thought the film was good, mainly because it filled in the gaps in the SW universe and had brillant effects, I mean the cloning faclility!!

Anakin played a whining bastard(, his character was after all only 18/19 and because he was a jedi, had to keep away from the girlies :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37 smalltalker

Originally posted by GreenHell
    Anakin played a whining bastard(, his character was after all only 18/19 and because he was a jedi, had to keep away from the girlies :)

Girlies were the least of his problems, I think. They really should have filmed that scene where he's dreaming about his mother with his hands above the covers.

Just an observation.:)

It had some great moments, nonetheless - my first Star Wars film ever!

Back to question 4 for a sec... The trade federation did order the droids yes but it was Duku who was controlling them and it was the emperor (palpatine) who was controlling him.. also he was directly controlling the trade federation in ep1 so it all comes down to being palpatine ordered both armies

Star Wars Characters Index

Amidala Jango Fett
    Obi Wan Ken Obi
    Palpatine not a very nice man
    Anakin Skywalker

very infomative, you can find the rest the characters from the first line. No mention of Count Dooku though :confused:

Originally posted by smalltalker
    They really should have filmed that scene where he's dreaming about his mother with his hands above the covers.
    Yes, that was a very disturbing image...
    Originally posted by Saruman
    The trade federation did order the droids yes but it was Duku who was controlling them and it was the emperor (palpatine) who was controlling him.. also he was directly controlling the trade federation in ep1 so it all comes down to being palpatine ordered both armies
    As I said earlier Palpatine Owns. :cool:

Originally posted by Saruman
    Back to question 4 for a sec... The trade federation did order the droids yes but it was Duku who was controlling them and it was the emperor (palpatine) who was controlling him.. also he was directly controlling the trade federation in ep1 so it all comes down to being palpatine ordered both armies

Yea Palpatine controlled the Trade Feds in TPM but the Droid army is referred to as being battle hardned by Qui ginn, so it stands to reason that the army exsisted before Palpatine started his move for power, also Palpatine is Darth Sidious who was a good Jedi, the trade feds exsisted before he turned to the dark side.

He used them because they had the umm robot power.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭Ping Chow Chi

I thought the acting was dire - and the on-screen chimestry the worse since 'Romeo Must Die'

It wasn't the worse film ever made by a long shoot, but conisidering the potential for the film I was very very disapointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

I had a number of problems with the film , everything below is my opinion so dont flare me with quotes :]

1. I found the acting rubbish

2. The quotes etc were so corny "I dont like sand , its rough and gets everywhere , not like you , your soft"

3. Till this day I dont inderstand why was picked to play Obi Wan Ken Obi , I find him too dull and he doesn't suit the character

4. Once again we seen very little action from the Bounty Hunter

5. I love Yodas fight scene but I felt it could of been longer , I hope in the next episode we will see more saber skills from him

6. I found the Love Scenes very boring

I know this film is for everyone but I just want to see if anyone agrees

Advertisement