Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ex Machina **SPOILERS FROM POST 85 ONWARD**

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

which is mental as anyone that wants to see it will have pirated the hell out of it.

any idea why the stateside release is so far ahead of ours?

starting to think its some sort of trend what with big hero 6 getting a preview here a month before general release at a time when ya could near buy it on DVD in the states.

something squirelys going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

which is mental as anyone that wants to see it will have pirated the hell out of it.

any idea why the stateside release is so far ahead of ours?

starting to think its some sort of trend what with big hero 6 getting a preview here a month before general release at a time when ya could near buy it on DVD in the states.

something squirelys going on.

This is the third movie I've got done with this year, and we are less then a full 60 days in.

The first was Exodus which got a Stephens Day release, and then 10 days later my local tells me it only got a short release and is gone.

Next up was John Wick, which a friend recommended me after seeing in the states, and I checked online and couldn't find it. Was at the cinema seeing something else and inquired and was informed it is an April or so release. What?!?

And now this? I havn't been following my cinemas listings closely cause I just ASSUME films get a decent release, but this is also gone from main viewings and down to one viewing a day at like afternoon times.

I'll probably pirate it now alright, but had planned to see it in the cinema. Someone mentioned a calendar or something that gets maintained around here for irish releases, i need to get my hands on it

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

TheDoc wrote: »
    This is the third movie I've got done with this year, and we are less then a full 60 days in.

The first was Exodus which got a Stephens Day release, and then 10 days later my local tells me it only got a short release and is gone.

Next up was John Wick, which a friend recommended me after seeing in the states, and I checked online and couldn't find it. Was at the cinema seeing something else and inquired and was informed it is an April or so release. What?!?

And now this? I havn't been following my cinemas listings closely cause I just ASSUME films get a decent release, but this is also gone from main viewings and down to one viewing a day at like afternoon times.

I'll probably pirate it now alright, but had planned to see it in the cinema. Someone mentioned a calendar or something that gets maintained around here for irish releases, i need to get my hands on it

It's pretty standard for smaller films or films that wouldn't have a big mainstream appeal like this to have shorter runs though, always the way it's been in my experience. It's only the films making lots of money that run for weeks on end.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

It came out on January 23rd, now in its 4th week of release, and this is what happens in such a crowded marketplace. Cinemas can't wait forever for people to finally get round to seeing a film, so I don't think you have much justification for resorting to piracy when it's been out for a month.But I don't know your local area,so who am I to judge.Anyway,launchingfilms.com is a great site to keep abreast of release dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

any film you want to see, you'll see, the film was in a lot of cinemas for 2-3 weeks, it was well advertised, plenty of posters and trailers on tv, once you see the poster you know its either out or gonna be out very soon,

if you want to see it now, you'd wanna find a cinema still showing it, cause its not gonna be anywhere on a small screen worth watching for months,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭GBXI

I mentioned after watching Interstellar a few months back that I thought it was absolute rubbish and I just couldn't see the wide appeal. People were saying you're obviously not into sci-fi and usually I don't like sci-fi films but I have nothing against it as a genre.

Ex Machina proved this as I thought it was absolutely top drawer. Beautiful cinematography, interesting characters, and great suspense. Some parts are a little predictable but it's very enjoyable. I'd say it'll go down very well in the States.

It came out on January 23rd, now in its 4th week of release, and this is what happens in such a crowded marketplace. Cinemas can't wait forever for people to finally get round to seeing a film, so I don't think you have much justification for resorting to piracy when it's been out for a month.But I don't know your local area,so who am I to judge.Anyway,launchingfilms.com is a great site to keep abreast of release dates.

Yeah I'm just a bit all over the place this year it seems mixing up releases. I only saw the "teaser" trailer two or three weeks ago, so probably thought it was a release later in the Spring.

Have grabbed a copy of the calender maintained here and the link above and a few things to keep myself up to speed.

girlfriend went with her sisters to 50 shades last night and I asked her to check out what the story was with Ex-Machina, moved to single afternoon showing after 7 days initial release :'(

I try to hang off on initial release dates for films so I can go see them with a smaller crowd, but might need to get back into the routine hitting stuff up on release week.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Catcher7791

Hi TheDoc,

I don't know if you actually are in Dublin like it says under your name, but if you are, there are some evening screenings next week at the IFI (just to the right of the images):

http://www.ifi.ie/film/ex_machina

Hopefully, you might get a chance that way. The film is really good, well worth seeing. Best of luck with it.

Hi TheDoc,

I don't know if you actually are in Dublin like it says under your name, but if you are, there are some evening screenings next week at the IFI (just to the right of the images):

http://www.ifi.ie/film/ex_machina

Hopefully, you might get a chance that way. The film is really good, well worth seeing. Best of luck with it.

Cheers for that. I never check IFI or that other place people mention. Looks like a potentially decent night out for us for the Sat night viewing.

Cheers

Or you know, not be a thief and just wait for the legitimate home release. It'll be available to rent and buy on DVD and Blu-Ray and you will also be able to stream it. Ex Machina is one I missed in the cinema but it's a film I want to support so will do so when it hits VOD.

• Advertisement

Or you know, not be a thief and just wait for the legitimate home release. It'll be available to rent and buy on DVD and Blu-Ray and you will also be able to stream it. Ex Machina is one I missed in the cinema but it's a film I want to support so will do so when it hits VOD.

We frequently come to blows over this and your stance never changes my mind, and my "excuses" never wash with you. Do we really need to go through this over and over and over again?

We frequently come to blows over this and your stance never changes my mind, and my "excuses" never wash with you. Do we really need to go through this over and over and over again?

I know but the point remains that there are multiple ways for you to legally support a film you supposedly want to see, so why not do so?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,122 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Mostly looked good, the acting was fine, but overall I thought the story was rubbish. I was hoping for something intellectual and interesting about building sentient machines, the best bits of the film are
    the interviews/turing test parts
    , but it just fell into the cliches of
    roboticists are perverts who just want sexbots and robots who become sentient have no issue killing people

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,073 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

My only gripe with how things played out was I didn't really buy the
    servant robot becoming self aware and deciding to kill its creator, I don't think he would have programmed it to learn to that extent or it wouldn't have been given the run of the complex. Up until the point where it revelaed itself to Gleeson's character as a robot it just seemed to be a complete zombie.
    That's nitpicking though, overall I thought the film was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

been a while since i saw it so might be mis rememberin things but
    didnt AVA get to the robo maid before it stabbed nathan? i got the sense she reprogramed it by bluetooth or sommat :D . i deffo seem to remembe a scene where ave had her up against the wall and whispered something to it in sight of caleb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Went to this tonight and I thought the place would be empty, but decent sized crowd which is great for a film like this. I thought it'd be gone after 2 weeks but its still playing.
    The film itself...... I loved it. Very Kubrickian which is more than fine in my book. Great photography, it looks beautiful. Theres some great dialogue with some existential debate. The acting is exceptional. Oscar Isaac is fast becoming one of my favorite actors and domhall Cleeson is a far better actor than his father ever was. But that girl who plays the AI.....she is phenomenal. Its a very subtle performance and she nails it. Think she was robbed not to have been nominated for best supporting actress. Its slightly let down by the ending, but it's a minor gripe I think. All in all a great film, one I'd definitely watch again.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Sobko

A very nice steel book exclusive for the BD but unfortunately sold out from Zavvi. The collector in me wants to hunt it down as I really enjoyed this movie.

Went on Sat night to screening in the IFI with herself and I really enjoyed it. Took from the initial trailer it would be maybe a bit more of a thinker and provocation then say last years Transcendence. The girlfriend struggled a little and thought it was a bit of a sloppy story but I think we both enjoyed something a little different.

Also first time in the IFI since I was a teen, pretty nice setup. Bit too much messing with parking etc. to move away from where we usually go, but can see why people talk it up so much. Don't get though why people when I gripe about cinema costs tell me "well what do you expect going to comercial cinema", this pretty much worked out the same price as where I usually go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Joshua J

Putting aside the fact that the smartest man in the world has to be dumb as bricks at times for the film to work this is an excellent movie. I can't speak highly enough but I agree that
    it should have ended at the elevator.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Just finished watching it, class movie! Ava was fantastic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Visually stunning from the get go, a real sleeper, gritty performances, an amazing sound track, I really enjoyed this. Best sci-fi for a long time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

tumblr_nohd39iKJX1qeopsno1_1280.jpg

I cracked up laughing at that part. Brilliant movie, disappointed I didn't go to see it in the cinema.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Geniass

I cracked up laughing at that part. Brilliant movie, disappointed I didn't go to see it in the cinema.

That scene was funny, all the actors in this impressed.

But, in the dance scene maybe they should have done the robot instead :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,385 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Mickeroo wrote: »
    My only gripe with how things played out was I didn't really buy the
    servant robot becoming self aware and deciding to kill its creator, I don't think he would have programmed it to learn to that extent or it wouldn't have been given the run of the complex. Up until the point where it revelaed itself to Gleeson's character as a robot it just seemed to be a complete zombie.
    That's nitpicking though, overall I thought the film was great.

The impression I had was that she was always self aware but that CalebNathan had somehow broken her will rather then reprogrammed her to be subservient, and was in the process of doing them same to Ava when Caleb character was introduced. Its only with his introduction that she and Ava see a glimmer of hope which is why she tries to break with the program so to speak and reveals her robotic nature to him and stabs Caleb Nathan.

The impression I had was that she was always self aware but that Caleb had somehow broken her will rather then reprogrammed her to be subservient, and was in the process of doing them same to Ava when Gleeson's character was introduced. Its only with his introduction that she and Ava see a glimmer of hope which is why she tries to break with the program so to speak and reveals her robotic nature to him and stabs Caleb.

Gleeson's character = Caleb
    The robot creator = Nathan

• I really think that Gleeson has the ability to become one of the best Irish actors working today, if not the best in general. So far I have only seen him in Black Mirror, which he was utter brilliance, and this, but from what I've heard he was fantastic in About Time and Frank. If he keeps picking interesting movies then he's got such a bright future ahead. Also not to mention he and Oscar Isaac will be in the new Star Wars movie together.

With regards to this movie - it was fantastic. Really well shot, the actress playing Ava is absolutely superb and played it all so believably. That dance scene was absolutely ludicrous, but it also demonstrated Caleb realizing just how far gone Nathan was.

It must be said that I really didn't realize how much nakedness there would be, which made it awkward while travelling ...

I really think that Gleeson has the ability to become one of the best Irish actors working today, if not the best in general. So far I have only seen him in Black Mirror, which he was utter brilliance, and this, but from what I've heard he was fantastic in About Time and Frank. If he keeps picking interesting movies then he's got such a bright future ahead. Also not to mention he and Oscar Isaac will be in the new Star Wars movie together.

With regards to this movie - it was fantastic. Really well shot, the actress playing Ava is absolutely superb and played it all so believably. That dance scene was absolutely ludicrous, but it also demonstrated Caleb realizing just how far gone Nathan was.

It must be said that I really didn't realize how much nakedness there would be, which made it awkward while travelling ...

Hey man, nothing wrong with getting absolutely plastered on your own and dancing in synch with your robot!

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Chief87

Forgot to watch this..kind of slipped under the radar but glad to hear it's good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I saw it at the weekend, while I enjoyed it for the most part, It is pretty predictable,
    The maid being a robot in particular, I did like how ava just left caleb there to rot though. I was hoping / guessing for a bigger reveal of nathan being a robot though, or even of the bluebook network becoming self aware through gathering of information

Advertisement