Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whiplash

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,927 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Watched that as a download, but I'm definitely seeing this in the cinema next week, and I'd encourage everyone else to aswell. The film is absolutely astounding, and I really hope it gets the recognition it deserves, both financially and in the award season. That last 10-15 minutes had me almost clapping from my chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

The way I see it the ending
    was win win for JK Simmons character. Either the kid would have completely faltered giving Fletcher the satisfaction or he'd deliver and fulfill his potential (validating his bullying tactics). What brilliantly gives it that bit of edge is how potentially self destructive it is for Neiman. It's really not the triumphant finale it seems to be at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

I've seen the trailer for this and thought it looked rubbish. Everyone on here has good things to be saying about it. I must be the only that feels that way :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

Duffff-Man wrote: »
    I've seen the trailer for this and thought it looked rubbish. Everyone on here has good things to be saying about it. I must be the only that feels that way :confused:

I remember when I used to care about trailers.

I remember when I used to care about trailers.

Usually the trailers show the best parts of the movie. All I took from it is some lad is getting a hard time because he is not perfect playing. He has other **** going on in his life boo hoo. Looks awful.

• Advertisement

Usually the trailers show the best parts of the movie. All I took from it is some lad is getting a hard time because he is not perfect playing. He has other **** going on in his life boo hoo. Looks awful.

Sounds like you're a strong fan of dramas. Well, I guess if the trailer looked bad it's best to disregard all the positive reviews and feedback the film received and just never watch it.

Sounds like you're a strong fan of dramas.

I am actually.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

What is the actual point of you posting here? You haven't seen the movie and think it looks terrible, 95% of people who have seen it think it's good. The end. You telling us it looks bad isn't going to change that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,078 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dismissing a film you haven't seen is the weakest sort of film criticism.

Reductively dismissing it with a sarcastic synopsis is the second weakest sort of film criticism.

Watch the film, seriously. Refusing to watch it on arbitrary criteria is not something to boast about on a dedicated film message board.

What is the actual point of you posting here? You haven't seen the movie and think it looks terrible, 95% of people who have seen it think it's good. The end. You telling us it looks bad isn't going to change that.

I am posting because I am entitled to my opinion. Just because I think it looks bad from the trailer doesn't mean I can't say that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Excellent movie, there is the potential for Oscar nods for best supporting actor, not sure will they get the best actor nod, but in my opinion from what i have seen so far this year it deserves a best film nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

It'll definitely get a nod for Best Support (and that'll be a race between Simmons and Norton (Birdman) for the gong). But having seen it I can't see where the hype is coming from. If you like drumming, you're in heaven. Otherwise its just an unsympathetic kid with a teacher from hell story.
    The love story is jammed in and then forgotten about.
    While its good and very watchable, this won't be winning Best Picture.
    And no doubt JK Simmons does deserve some Academy recognition...everything he's been in from Juno to Law and Order SVU goes up a notch when he's in the frame. That's the definition of Support.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

While its good and very watchable, this won't be winning Best Picture.
    I dont think it will win either but i think it has a good chance of a nomination.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Duffff-Man wrote:
    I am posting because I am entitled to my opinion. Just because I think it looks bad from the trailer doesn't mean I can't say that.

this isn't a trailer review thread though..watch the movie n come back and say it was no good if u wish

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Saw this yesterday and I liked it, but didn't love it. It just got a bit too monotonous towards the end - Neiman craves acceptance, becomes obsessive, It's just never good enough for Fletcher, yadda yadda. The drum solo at the end, which everyone seemed to love, almost made me lose the will to live. It went on forever! I guess it helps if you love that type of jazz music and I don't.

Saying that, the two leads were extremely good and JK Simmons thoroughly deserves any awards coming his way over the next few months.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

If it helps, i'm really not a fan of the Jazz music genre & I think drummers are wallys(I'm a guitarist :P). I loved the film :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

ktulu123 wrote: »
    If it helps, i'm really not a fan of the Jazz music genre & I think drummers are wallys(I'm a guitarist :P). I loved the film :)

Well I think you're a Wally ! :)
    I like jazz and play drums so, I kinda liked it obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

ktulu123 wrote: »

Spinal Tap probably agree with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,392 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Good to see I wasn't the only one not completely won over by it.

Literally just finished watching it for a second time with my OH as she hadn't seen it before. It really is the Simmons show, Fletchers methods and put downs just don't lose their sharpness, and the scene with
    Fletcher telling Andrew he knew it was him is still a gut punch

I'd also recommend seeing it in the cinema, one thing I enjoyed was the cuts made to the drum beats and that's really lost with a home viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Good to see I wasn't the onlyone not completely won over by it.

Literally just finished watching it for a second time with my OH as she hadn't seen it before. It really is the Simmons show, methods and put downs just don't lose their sharpness, and the scene with
    Fletcher telling Andrew he knew it was him is still a gut punch

I'd also recommend seeing it in the cinema, one thing I enjoyed was the cuts made to the drum beats and that's really lost with a home viewing.

planning on a cinema viewing this week myself,Fletcher character is brilliant

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Well I think you're a Wally ! :)
    I like jazz and play drums so, I kinda liked it obviously.

hahaha this explains a lot flying! :P We should get a Gaellords band going!

Very good film, Miles Teller's definitely opened up a lot of new doors for his career with his performance.

Did anyone else wonder how the film would've been if they had used any of the other instruments instead of drums to be the main character's? Lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

It didn't quite live up to the expectations I had for it. It was decent enough but no more.

JK Simmons gives a very good performance but on further reflection his character isn't a feasible concept at all. There's no way he'd be allowed teach in any school, let alone the nations most prestigious music college.

The portrayal of drumming in the movie isn't realistic and not just because of the editing in the film (For example, several times I noticed what's being played on the kit isn't what we are hearing from the speakers). There's also the blood spilled in the practice room, probably some Hollywood idea to supposedly emphasize effort but it's sensationalist and not true to life at all. Ditto the ridiculous portrayal of hyper exaggerated physical strain on the drummers when they attempt to play uptempo swing. It wouldn't have hurt them to hire a consultant to point out that these moments were silly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

Anybody wanting to watch both this and Birdman should do a double bill when they're both out here. Some very interesting comparisons to be made between them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

My only real gripe with the movie is the lead drumming, it's clear he doesn't play drums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭FlyingIrishMan

My only real gripe with the movie is the lead drumming, it's clear he doesn't play drums.

He does though, he's been playing since he was 15 I think. It was mostly staged though, but it still wasn't badly synced.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,868 ✭✭✭Andersonisgod

Loved it. I can't remember many other movies where I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. Even the complaints I find are minor and forgivable because, in the grand scheme of things, this was something of a masterpiece.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

Loved it. I can't remember many other movies where I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. Even the complaints I find are minor and forgivable because, in the grand scheme of things, this was something of a masterpiece.

Woah there now, masterpiece is a pretty strong word! I mean, it was good and all, I really enjoyed it, but its no masterpiece.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Woah there now, masterpiece is a pretty strong word! I mean, it was good and all, I really enjoyed it, but its no masterpiece.

Maybe not in you're eyes but a lot of people do love the film, I wouldn't be afraid to throw masterpiece on it. I think it's better then Birdman for example.

Advertisement