Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volvo Ocean Race 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

magentas wrote: »
    I can't believe they're putting the temp bridge so bloody close to Wolfe Tone bridge! They should have either put it further out connecting the two "villages" or else just used WT bridge altogether. Silly waste of time, resources and money IMO.

Really looking forward to VOR though, just hope weather is good to us!

They couldn't get the sponsorship to built the 'big' bridge in the original location, the rumoured cost being €350k

I am happy to see this bridge being erected as it will keep pedestrian traffic away from Wolfe Tone. Imagine thousands (more than usual) crossing that bridge on a daily basis, it would only be time before an accident happened.

GO ON THE VOR!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭vulcan57

JohnCleary wrote: »
    They couldn't get the sponsorship to built the 'big' bridge in the original location, the rumoured cost being €350k

I am happy to see this bridge being erected as it will keep pedestrian traffic away from Wolfe Tone. Imagine thousands (more than usual) crossing that bridge on a daily basis, it would only be time before an accident happened.

GO ON THE VOR!

Yeah would imagine it would keep pedestrians off Wolftone bridge alright. Its a shame that the Global village is so remote from the heart of things in the docks (walking wise anyway). It was a great Idea when they thought that they would be able to put the longer bridge across to nimos pier as it would have been a short stroll.

I'm not knocking the organisers in anyway, they have done Galway proud and this a minor thing in the grand scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,206 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

vulcan57 wrote: »
    Its a shame that the Global village is so remote from the heart of things in the docks

I agree completely, I suspect there won't be as much of a 'buzz' round the docks this time round

• Registered Users Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭thesandeman

Funny feeling the locals will still hang around the Docks part while the visitors will be more inclined to visit the Swamp.
    Just a conspiracy theory but I wonder if the plan was for Heinekin to sponsor the long bridge originally?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Funny feeling the locals will still hang around the Docks part while the visitors will be more inclined to visit the Swamp.
    Just a conspiracy theory but I wonder if the plan was for Heinekin to sponsor the long bridge originally?

Why would that be an issue? Heineken are still alcohol beverage sponsors?

• Advertisement

I agree completely, I suspect there won't be as much of a 'buzz' round the docks this time round

Maybe there is an opening there for the water taxis when the tides are right ! short trip across to Nimos and saving a 10- 15 min walk, handy especially if its raining.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,863 ✭✭✭thesandeman

foxy_19-89 wrote: »

Why would that be an issue? Heineken are still alcohol beverage sponsors?

Wouldn't be a problem for me but I'm sure some people would object about alcohol sponsorship etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

Just over a week away now, any good word on the weather front? or is it still too soon to forecast? Could make or break the event!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭ValerieR

Just over a week away now, any good word on the weather front? or is it still too soon to forecast? Could make or break the event!

Don't look you'll be depressed ...
    The only good thing is ... weather people often get it wrong .... that's what I hope anyhow ! :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I predict rain on the 30th, 1st and 2nd. My tea leaves would'nt disclose the 3rd, 4th or 5th.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭I_smell_fear

snubbleste wrote: »
    I predict rain on the 30th, 1st and 2nd. My tea leaves would'nt disclose the 3rd, 4th or 5th.

I saw a rooster flying upside down while barking like a dog this evening.

Unfortunately it has no meteorological forecasting significance.

Seeing as in 2009 I started a thread for everyone to post their VOR photos (which included some award winning ones!) I felt the need to do the same this time round....[Mods feel free to merge with my old thread if necessary]

I got out this evening with the camera to get a few snaps of the work being done....

Before you all ask, unfortunately I don't have the same amazing view as last time, but have a better camera and aim on getting as many pics as I can!

Here is a selection of mine so far (I will be creating a blog to house all my photos from the event and will link later)

I encourage everyone to post theirs for us all to see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

foxy_19-89 wrote: »
    [Mods feel free to merge with my old thread if necessary]
    Thanks, it's better to have everything in this one thread. Then in the future we can look back and reminisce without having to search all over the shop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭dinneenp

I'd imagine there could be potential problems with an extremelly long bridge from Docks to Claddagh; cost, secruity, length of it etc.

The one they're building should help; the amount of foot-fall around there will be massive so (as someone else said) it'll help keep Wolfe Tone bridge safe from overflowing with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Rob A. Bank

The leaderboard at present with links to the team websites and pics of the boats.

1 - Groupama sailing team

boat_GPMA.png
    French offshore legend Franck Cammas and his long-term sponsor Groupama compete in a boat designed by two-time race winner Juan Kouyoumdjian. Kerry sailor Damian Foxall is the helmsman/trimmer and crew manager.

2 - PUMA Ocean Racing

boat_PUMA.png
    The USA entry PUMA Ocean Racing, which turned heads on and off the water in the 2008-09 race, has returned for this edition, again under the leadership of Skipper Ken Read.

3 - CAMPER with Emirates Team New Zeland Points : 191

boat_CAMP.png
    Spanish footwear brand Camper is collaborating with Emirates Team New Zealand to manage their first Volvo Ocean Race campaign. Skipper Chris Nicholson

4 - Team Telefonica

boat_TELE.png
    The Spanish entry is led by dual Olympic medallist Iker Martínez on their third successive Volvo Ocean Race. Martínez’s crew have a long list of successes including 23 round the world races, 15 world titles and three Olympic gold medals.

5 - Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing

boat_ADOR.png
    The UAE entry includes a core of Volvo veterans and a UAE national, led by double Olympic medallist and 2008-09 Volvo Ocean Race skipper, Ian Walker. Justin Slattery from Cork is the bowman and Ian Walker was the skipper of Green Dragon last time around.

6 - Team Sanya

boat_SNYA.png
    Chinese entry Team Sanya with Volvo Ocean Race veteran and two-time winner Mike Sanderson as skipper and a mixture of experienced sailors and raw Chinese members. Suffered breakages and missed some of the legs.

Not long to go now, once the Euro2012 final finishes, the boats will already be over 8 hours into their race to Galway. The start of the race in Lorient can be seen live on TG4 at 11:45 on Sunday July 1st in their Volvo Ocean Race Beo programme.

For those who are interested… YouTube links to hour long documentaries on all the Volvo Ocean Race legs so far. (I recommend watching them full screen if your internet connection can cope)

Leg 1 from Alicante in Spain to Cape Town in South Africa.
    http://youtu.be/WqOsqvKARww

Leg 2 from Cape Town to Abu Dhabi.
    http://youtu.be/-OaU5KWFFZ4

Leg 3 from Abu Dhabi to Sanya in China.
    http://youtu.be/py9bU3ET1fc

Leg 4 from Sanya to Auckland, New Zealand.
    http://youtu.be/4PukF6OJZ8o

Leg 5 from Auckland round Cape Horn to Itajaí, Brazil.
    http://youtu.be/qE1ebE34lac

Leg 6 from Itajaí to Miami, USA.
    http://youtu.be/G05JaXI2BA8

Leg 7 from Miami to Lisbon, Portugal.
    http://youtu.be/ysli1iyRZGM

Leg 8 from Lisbon to Lorient France is not out yet, but can be seen in an hour long programme on TG4, in 2 day’s time, on Sunday, June 24 at 14:40 pm.

:)

My blog of the Volvo Ocean Race Village and Surrounding areas, which I hope to update as frequently as possible

http://cillianfox.blogspot.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

Anyone know if the Saw Doctor's concert on the Tuesday night is free?

As far as I know, the acts in the 'Race Village Main Stage' (the Docks) are free and the acts playing in the 'Global Village' (South Park white tent) are the pay events.

The Saw Doctors are on the 'Race Village Main Stage' from 20:30 to 22:00 on Tuesday June 3rd and are free. (I believe)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭piscesgirl1

A replica of the Christ the Reedemer statue from rio was erected on top of galway business school today!!!!! I presume for the brazilian themed day in salthill!:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭piscesgirl1

On another note does anybody know if the air show will be on? In the website it has a programme of events and says red arrows in salthill on the Sunday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Has Peter Gabriel been confirmed yet for the Yeehaw stage on the Wednesday?

A replica of the Christ the Reedemer statue from rio was erected on top of galway business school today!!!!! I presume for the brazilian themed day in salthill!:D:D

I saw that too... I wonder if it will be a permanent feature on top of the Galway Business School ?

P.S. It seems to be causing less right wing 'knickers in a twist' than the proposed monument to that other South American... Che !

How the VOR has helped Galway Hookers !

P.S. NOT that kind of hooker !!!

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I was driving by yesterday and I couldn't believe it! Christ the Redeemer, Whats that all about?!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭irishgeo

so whats the best day to head up?

i have monday, tuesday and wednesday off.

I was thinking Wednesday but Tuesday might be better as the boats are due in that day.I wont be staying up i am afraid.
    any suggestions

the weather seems to lining up fairly dry in the early part of the week.
    Sunday night will be dry with lowest temperatures of 6 to 10 degrees. Some mist and fog patches may form in light winds.

The dry weather will continue on Monday and it will be a mild day with maximum temperatures of 16 to 20 degrees. There will be some good sunny spells too. Then on Monday night some showers will develop along the south coast and these will move north during the day on Tuesday. There will be a good deal of dry weather though, with some sunny spells. Highs of 17 to 20 degrees in light variable winds. Wednesday will be a mild day with showers. Temperatures will climb to between 16 and 20 degrees. Then it looks like the weather will become more unsettled with wet and windy spells.

Irishgeo... I think you are a bit premature and a week out !

That is the forecast for the 24th to the 27th of June. The VOR boats don't arrive until the 3rd of July, a week later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Irishgeo... I think you are a bit premature and a week out !

That is the forecast for the 24th to the 27th of June. The VOR boats don't arrive until the 3rd of July, a week later.

Doh!

Looking forward to a few days off a bit too much.

Building well underway. These from Friday.

26054D4B7D9E4FBBB528BAD7446E5F2C-0000324460-0002907706-00800L-112A480322A8414BA60E0FEB263D7D00.jpg

2D3778A0C3134C3FA5D41C82ADC47E3E-0000324460-0002907705-00800L-896752EA34F94347A34556104E4B205B.jpg

280D5C57FFE04F1084CCEE32B746E42A-0000324460-0002907703-00800L-B5BAD9C750814C5BB20E72F00783516E.jpg

662F412F0563436C853CAFB98CBD87FD-0000324460-0002907701-00800L-C173DFE8E1624CC39BD5ACF64029BFC9.jpg

Global village

D34B979EE38449BA9EE16D86749C6E6C-0000324460-0002907704-00800L-BB19113D71894F13BFAC88B1BAAFA528.jpg

E4250C6C986B4993A81C83BB9498860D-0000324460-0002907702-00800L-53AF11CBDB844A0CB7415CAF6D6FB2EE.jpg

• Advertisement

Just wondering if anyone knows where the fireworks will be let off from on the Wednesday?. I would presume Nimos Pier but not sure.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement