Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice for a young couple heading for Austraila

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Read the post at the top of page 4, I said I wasn't living in any of the big cities, Griffith has a population of roughly 30,000 people , its not really the back arse of nowhere, certainly not by Australian standards.

Also It's a bit presumptuous to say they can't even wipe their own arses, so without knowing the couple, I would say my comment is a little bit more helpful than the " do you have any idea how expensive this place is? I was paying $500 in St. Kilda" type comments tbh.

Anybody planning to come here obviously needs to do their own research, but there is alot of opportunity here, it's just up to the potential immigrant Tourist to be smart and work hard and at the very least they'll have an enjoyable 2 years and save a few quid.

Fixed your post

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭CrackisWhack

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Fixed your post

No you didn't? what's a potential tourist? speaking for myself, I hope to find sponsorship in my field, which I may or may not find. There has been people who have been sponsored on WHV's you know, I know a few. although they came as tourists, they are now immigrants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Mod enough of the arguements about the price of a house in Griffith., or what is the difference between immigrant and tourist
    How about advice for the young couple...
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chrispym

Why all the hang ups about people calling themselves backpackers, tourists, immigrants or whatever they want to call themselves. People are coming on here looking for advice, not to be corrected by know it all's on an internet forum. Just throwing in my friendly two sense! less bitching more helping. (awaits abuse) :)

chrispym wrote: »
    Why all the hang ups about people calling themselves backpackers, tourists, immigrants or whatever they want to call themselves. People are coming on here looking for advice, not to be corrected by know it all's on an internet forum. Just throwing in my friendly two sense! less bitching more helping. (awaits abuse) :)

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Ya have to be careful here. You say the wrong thing and you'll get slammed!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 chrispym

Ya have to be careful here. You say the wrong thing and you'll get slammed!

I know yeah but my thinking behind it was are people going to slam me for speaking some sense! common sense should prevail :D op dont mean to be taking over your thread because I would like to know the answers to your questions aswell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

A) it's the truth, it doesnt matter what RTE says you don't emigrate on a WHV or 457

B) In my post (the one that Hussey deleted) I did say that you are free to pretend to be what ever you want.

I think telling the truth is helpful, pub talk and rumour mongering is counterproductive

A) it's the truth, it doesnt matter what RTE says you don't emigrate on a WHV or 457

B) In my post (the one that Hussey deleted) I did say that you are free to pretend to be what ever you want.

I think telling the truth is helpful, pub talk and rumour mongering is counterproductive

Mod Absolutely, telling the truth is helpful, but arguments aren't, I deleted the post as I wanted to head back on track ... I think both of you made your points, which to me was around a tourist vs immigrant

You don't migrate on a work visa (WHV, 457) but it may lead to migration.

anyway I asked to go back on track ... hopefully we can do that now

Cheers guys

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

Not every one can migrate on a WHV, but its not impossible to. The truth is that it IS possible, if you work hard, put yourself out here or are lucky to land sponsorship or whatever. My sister and friend of mine both left on a WHV 3 years or so ago, and are living here now permanently after getting sponsored, with my friend now studying in a medical university out here while working in a hospital on weekends. Its not outside the realms of possibility.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

I'd say don't buy into how expensive everything is for one. Its not that much dearer than Dublin, (maybe 35%) more, which i suppose is a lot. But they have a great vantage in beeing a couple... A $12 chicken for one seems a bit much, till ur clean wingered outta it.

Melbourne 2 things. I'm living here so i reckon decent advice. Number one - suburb the tits outta it. Would u move to london an put ur tent up to the london eye? It's still australia, south east suburbs seem to be ok. Ive a, no ****, massive room in moorabbin for $120 a week. Place stank of piss but sure get ur mop out.

It is a massive room, im moving on, but just cos im dippin into zone 2 (dont even try it on the frankston line- if you want a gd ticket dodge, me an my mate used to be called joe stein (no fine) (you have to hav someone on ur phone verify ur existance) room 8 oslo hotel - ****, 10+ tickets at $180 - frankston line is a pure duffer, i actuallay buy tickets now, even tho i'm stickn my nose over zone 2
    11.90 for a day, surpose.

Yeah that would be my advice. Dont be afraid of living in zone 2.

Save $70 per week for a double room. Also dont buy into the myth how expensive it is, yea of course water melon is expensive, the rest should just flow :)

• Registered Users Posts: 47 elliott550

I should say i'm living in Bentleigh, not Moorabbin, its handy, tho im of to Clayton, Zone2 my friends - its a big place.

Advertisement