Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MediTens® XP for Labour

• 23-01-2012 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

HI Ladies,

Having attended my 2nd ante natal class last week, where they discussed pain relief, ive decided that im going to go with the MediTens® XP and see how that goes before signing up to anything stronger.

I was wondering 2 things

1. has anyone used one?
    2. has anyone got one for sale? as they are 100 quid new

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I didn't use that one, but I got one from E-bay. I think it was around €30. I used it and the hospital one for my first labour in 2010. I found it great but I think you'd want to put it on as soon as you realise you are in labour as it 'builds up'pain relief. When I took it off to pee, I felt it was still working.

If you are going with the DOMINO scheme they have a few to loan out or you can rent one from Boots for €45 per 6 weeks.

What you looking for is a tens machine with 4 pads and a 'boost' button. The boost button is for extra relief during the surges.

When the contractions get really strong, I ddint bother with the boost button I just counted down from 5 to 1 and hoped it was over before I got to 1.

I will def be using it this time, at the moment I am using it daily for sciatica (only possible when recommended by physio dept in hospital).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I used one last time (not sure of brand/make sorry) but found it useful only in pre-labour when I was getting mild contractions.

I had started getting mild contractions & was admitted to hospital (they were due to induce me the next morning anyway) & used it then.
    I found it a good distraction when they weren't too painful, but after that I started to find it irritating & found my Ipod a much more effective distraction.

I did the same as Wpmd33 and bought one on Ebay (4 pad one with booster function), so was glad I hadn't spent too much on it.

I definitely think it's worth a try, but I wouldn't spend big money on one if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Wmpdd3- Do you have the name of the one you got from Ebay? It sounds really good and something I never really considered on my first labour in 2008.

Did you end up using any other method of pain relief?

Thanks

Yep ill get a pic up when i get home, i had gas and air, after 6cm i was put on drip and got epidural..... Which didnt work but the gas and air was great. I was onky in labour for 12 hrs and contractions started at 7mins apart.

This is the one, but I only paid $30 for it delivered. It did come from Hong Kong, up to yourself if you'd trust something from there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300628053908?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649#ht_3409wt_1185

300628053908_1.jpg

You can rent a tens from here too:

http://www.medicare.ie/labour-pain-relief-obstetric-tens

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I got the Elle Tens.
    Only get one recommended for labour and that has a boost button.

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭saggycaggy

Thanks wmpdd3, I must learn more about them and see what's recommended and maybe see which one to get.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭staticdoor71

thanks ladies

this is the one im getting

http://www.neurotechgroup.com/uk/products/meditens-xp-for-labour

its 100 to buy, or 45 for a months rental.. although i have since found it for 80 to buy.

its also the one that was reccomended at our ante natal classes. Its also based in Galway so its handy for me :D

God i really hope they work!!!!!!! Im placing alot of "hope" on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dollybird2

I also used the Elle TENS machine and found it great. I purchased it on inhealth.ie for about 70Euro if I remember correctly. If I decide to have another child I will be using it again. Also found it great for relieving backaches after my section.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭GoerGirl

thanks ladies

its 100 to buy, or 45 for a months rental.. although i have since found it for 80 to buy.

its also the one that was reccomended at our ante natal classes. Its also based in Galway so its handy for me :D

I bought this one on my second pregnancy as I had tried gas on the first and found it made me feel awful. I was looking for an alternative to traditional pain medications (didn't want them). I used it at home and in hospital until around 7cm. Found it very useful in the early stages but once my contractions became more intense I found it distracted me (in a unhelpful way) and using it became complicated getting into positions that I found comfortable (the pads and wires) and took it off. However, at that point I only had a tiny bit to go and laboured upright/birthed without meds.

I used it for warm up contractions on the third but not in labour. (also a birth without meds). I then gave it away to a friend and did not use it at all on subsequent pregnancy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

thanks ladies

Hi staticdoor, I have this Tens machine, I bought it in Nov 2010 when I was due my daughter. I found it great for pains in the early stages of labour but then I was induced so the pains got very intense a lot faster so it probably didn't work quite as well as it should have. I eventually ended up getting the epidural when I got the oxytocin drip to speed things up.

For me the distraction aspect of it was good also, gave me something to focus on to take my mind off of the contractions a little. I will definitely be using it for my next birth (whenever that is!) hopefully in conjunction with the gentle birth programme. The only advice I would give you is to order a few extra sets of pads for it. They start to lose their stick after several hours and if you have a long one like mine (36 hours!) then you will be fed up trying to re-stick them!

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭red fraggle

http://www.inhealth.ie/Products/Obi-Tens-%28-SimpleGreat-Value--plus--Booster%29__4860.aspx

this is the one i used 3 weeks ago on my first baby. it wqas 50euro.it has a pulsing option or boost option. i thought it was excellent. i used it when i could feel the pains. could barely get to level 3 at the beginning but made it to the top notch when in full labour mode. i thought it was great and it was still on the highest level when all was over and i didnt even realise. i felt it worked good but only with my husband reminding me bout the breathing and relaxing my shoulders as it helped distract me. i used gas and air also which is not a pain relief but makes u a bit woozy. i would def recommend it. my plan was use it til i felt i needed more or possibly an epidural but i didnt need one. def try it.

Advertisement