Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kendrick Lamar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,341 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I genuinely dont think it's gonna be the greatest album ever, but it's gonna surprise the doubters. To be called the greatest album ever its gonna have to be better than the likes of,illmatic, sslp, ob4cl, reasonable doubt, speakerboxx etc etc

I want it to be a really good album though, I'm looking for a reason to start liking him, i just cant seem to get into him no matter how much i listen to section 80.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭conor.hogan.2

Section.80 has such a high replay value, not even individual tracks I have found myself re-listening to the whole album whenever a song pops up on random on my iPod.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Saying that this album will be the best album of the last twenty years will inevitably lead to this disappointing a lot of people, no matter what.

I really hope it is though.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

The Hip Hop machine is always looking for the next best and greatest group or individual to appear on the scene and deliver a classic debut album.
    There have been so many people over the last X number of years that have been hailed as the next greatest but always tend to disappear or not live up to the hype. Probably the most recent example is J.Cole, although his music is decent, it just didnt live up to expectation, Jay Electronica before that, which is a different story entirely......this can continue back for 20 years as K.Dot puts it, because has there been anyone since Biggie that has realeased a 5 star, classic debut album that has lived up to the hype.

If we look at some of the majors at the moment, Kanye went pretty un-noticed for a while, his debut did eventually get some recognition, but was out with about 2 or 3 singles before it did. Jay-Z didnt get mega large until his 3rd album. Lil Wayne only has gotten his popularity in the last few years but has been rapping and recording for about 15 years. Again, this can go on and on.

But Kendrick definitely has the potential to release that classic debut that will blow people away. There is nothing wrong with the confidence that he is displaying, as he has the form so far to go with that confidence.

I myself dont think that Section.80 is a classic, there are alot of songs that could be stripped off that, but there are some excellent tracks on it. Rigamortis is one of the best songs that I have heard in a long time.
    If he builds on that and produces more of the good consistenly for Good Kid, Bad City, they it could definitly be a classic.

I agree mostly but SSLP was an instant classic and was after Biggies first/second.

If Kendrick said "best album of the last 10 years" I think people would be skeptical but would be a lot more open to it.

But I hope it does live up to it, if not he can be another Game or even Crooked I and still release good music but not sell a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I agree mostly but SSLP was an instant classic and was after Biggies first/second.

Not a debut album though! I'm also not sure if there was too much hype about SSLP, i think it gained a bigger momentum after the first single release, which was after the album was in stores.....i may be wrong here.
    But any hype at the time was about a white rapper being signed to aftermath, rather than the quality of the work. It then escalated after the first single was released.

There are probably many other rappers/albums that I've forgotten about!

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Not a debut album though! I'm also not sure if there was too much hype about SSLP, i think it gained a bigger momentum after the first single release, which was after the album was in stores.....i may be wrong here.
    But any hype at the time was about a white rapper being signed to aftermath, rather than the quality of the work. It then escalated after the first single was released.

There are probably many other rappers/albums that I've forgotten about!

Infinite should not count if Section.80 does not count, imo.

I agree on the white angle, but still the album stands up there with other classic "first"/first albums quality wise (although it sold a lot more)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,970 ✭✭✭mufcboy1999

I myself dont think that Section.80 is a classic, there are alot of songs that could be stripped off that, but there are some excellent tracks on it. Rigamortis is one of the best songs that I have heard in a long time.
    If he builds on that and produces more of the good consistenly for Good Kid, Bad City, they it could definitly be a classic.

as far as hip hop sounds today i think its as close to a classic you can get, fair enough it didn't sell that well and impact the commercial scene to an extent where the public can be brainwashed into thinking lamar is on the same level as a eminem, nas, kanye, jay z etc but then again you have average rappers/albums like a officer rick ross an industry created fictional character that you would easily be fooled into thinking he's the big commercial thing in hip hop atm but in reality his bark is worse than his bite, the man has never gone platinum with like 6 albums, he barely goes gold, he's all hype worse thing 50 ever did was respond to him because he put him in the limelight.

back on topic :), Bar WTT i honestly struggle to compare a recent album to section 80, if you cant comfortably call this a modern classic what else is there? I dont see what songs you could really strip off it , theirs a proper story behind it, each song is like a chapter they blend into each other perfect.

Tracks 13-15 could possibly be seen to be excess and be stripped, but after several listens I like them too.

But they definitely fit in imo, and they are great songs but just not on the other 13 songs level but that is more nitpicking than anything else for me.

Those 3 songs have grown on me though, much like Lamar in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Wouldn't take the "best album" comments too literally, just another way of drawing attention to the release date. Kendrick's not for everyone, a lot of people I know love him on the likes of 'The City' but would never listen to something like Section.80. He doesn't have a huge commercial appeal, nowhere near Wayne, Em, Jay, etc. Really looking forward to his album but I won't be comparing it so Illmatic and SSLP right off the bat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭Talib Fiasco

Section.80 was dope and stuff like Keisha's song were very refreshing but I dunno...not really hyped for the album. I think it's gonna be like KRIT all over. I liked LFTU but it couldn't mess with Returnof4eva or 4evanaday...I think K-Dot is gonna be the same!!

TheComeUp wrote: »
    Ditto...although The Format>...that was just insane. Good album too....absolutely pissed AZ's not on Life Is Good...and the same with Primo....wtf is Nas at?

Btw speaking of Primo, I just found out about one of his ancient collabs like 2 weeks ago but I've been playing everyday since...it's by Craig G. the dude who murked Supernat...it's called Ready Set Begin...good ish
    Premo submitted beats for Life Is Good but Nas decided not to use them as they didnt fit with the overall theme of the album. But they are planning a full album together instead.

To get this back on topic, what about Kendick over Primo beats, i think that would work.

The Primo/Nas collab has been talked about with yonks...of course I'd love to see it happen but unless they have over half the tracks in the vault from the 90s it'll disappoint me. Primo isn't as dope as he used to be and the same can be said for Nas but to a lesser extent. Still though it'd be crazy dope and you'd defo have AZ, Jada, Rakim maybe and more on it. Why couldn't that have happened in the 90's?haha

As for K-Dot over Primo. That'd be very interesting but yeah I agree it would work nicely. Yes Primo and X, What A Mess that was great. The GZA vocal on the hook was real dope

As for other west coast artists collabing with Primo. Well I remember him f-ing with Snoop and Ras Kass and remember last year Game's Born In The Trap and Evidence too who he seems to be really down with.

He isnt called the teacha for no reason, he goes out there to give a message, not display how good a lyricist he is like Nas would.

Sooooooooo kendrick..............

Yes thats true but still when Nas wants to spread a message I think he does that better too. Look at Black Zombie. Even though I or probably most of us here can't relate to it directly the message in it is brilliant but yet its a very catchy and it's one of my favourites by Nas. And then I Can which is poppish but its a great song again. Look it I'm done with discussing KRS here for a while :L

haha yes K-Dot. So what you all make of The Recipe? Absolute banger imo...even Dre wasn't too bad

The recipe is song of the year for me so far, purely because nothing better has come out imo. Dre just jacked Kendricks flow which is to be expected because he jacks the flow of any rapper that writes for him. Scoop did a nice job on the beat, i'd be interested to see if he has any roll to play on kendricks upcoming album.

Yeah it was the first thing I recognised too but I think it worked well....yeah this year has been pretty bad for good releases. I've been busy with the Leaving Cert so the amount of albums I've checked out has been reduced. Daughters by Nas stands out for me. Rahlo by One Be Lo was another. And that Reks/Action Bronson collab on Straight No Chaser. Anyway K-Dot. Honestly I don't know much about the beats he gets or the producers he's down with. I'm really slacking when it comes to paying attention to producers haha. I'm expecting something with J. Cole though. Their planned project is actually supposed to going ahead too now.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭sarabroderick

KL will at least have a few classics, history I fear will not be as kind to Drake or Lil Wayne

MOD NOTE: I've moved loads of the off-topic posts to the 'Everything Else' thread, nothings been deleted

2nd song of good kid in a m.a.a.d city "swimming pools". Fairy decent , laid back kind of song.

dont know if its an official single but the recipe video is coming in the next week or 2 aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Oh nevermind.... D:

The rapping is good, i dont like the beat and the annoying outbursts of "DRANK!" that pop up throughout the song.

Cartoons and Cereal vibe, good song.

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    The rapping is good, i dont like the beat and the annoying outbursts of "DRANK!" that pop up throughout the song.

i reckon it could fit nicely into the actual album, if he's got a story to tell which he obviously does this might blend in perfectly and i reckon it has the potential to grow on people. I personally like it, its defiantly not a radio song and it has a lot of a section 80 feel to it in terms of production and the actual substance behind it, a lot of references to the LA lifestyle in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

better than The Recipe which was a real grower
    looks like Kendrick will have the best album this year

the more i listen to this song the more i love it, great song.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

Great track, Kendrick on form as usual and the beat is quality. T-Minus is one of the best producers out there at the moment IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

MD1990 wrote: »

yes definitively better then the recipe imo

MD1990 wrote: »
    PrettyBoy wrote: »
    Great track, Kendrick on form as usual and the beat is quality. T-Minus is one of the best producers out there at the moment IMO.

Some bold statements being made here! :D

• Advertisement

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Some bold statements being made here! :D

fighting talk boom bap :D, The albums got of to a great start though.

Advertisement