Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your favourite film scene?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

has to be this

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=true%20romance%20sicilians&sm=1

i dont know whats going on with the youtube vids, anyway here is the link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

My favouite film is Scarface and I would say that at least a half a dozen or so of my favourite movie scenes of all time are all from that one film. The scene where Tony refuses to blow up a car when he finds out that there's an innocent women and her daughters inside, the drug deal gone bad / chainsaw scene, first you get the power / manny gets slapped by the "lesbian", who do I trust bathtub scene, Boliva helicopter, confronting Manny at Coconut Grove, dancing at the Babylon Club, say goodnight to the bad guy restaurant scene.. it's really just one classic scene after another with Scarface. I simply adore it.

Sometimes I think the film's popularity and constant quoting by fans has over the years somewhat detracted from just how good a film it really was and is.

If I had to pick just one scene though from it, then it would have to be the pivotal scene where Tony goes to see Lopez not knowing for sure if he was the one that has just tried to have him killed. I wish I could watch that scene for the first time all over again, not knowing what was to happen, as can remember watching it for the first time (back in the 80s) as a teenager and being totally engrossed in it..

4749_1.jpg

large_scarface_blue_blu_ray_4x.jpg

600px-Scarface-bc5.jpg

31057-16663.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

135656370.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Off top of my head Ronin's car chase always pops in there, or the bank heist in Heat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

First thing that popped in to my head was the cage scene in Jaws as Hooper sees the shark coming towards him. Loved it as a kid and still love it now.

The end to the Usual Suspects was a great moment too & the landings in Saving Private Ryan for the shock factor along with many veterans stating how real the portrayal was.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

The courtroom scene from JFK..."So what really happended that day" as Jim Garrison explains his conspiracy theory "Back and to the left....." to a masterclass of Film editing.

The ending of ET. John Williams and the orchestra continually missed their marks when playing to the onscreen film rough cut. Spielberg had the lack of ego and the genius to realise what great music it was. He told Williams and the Orchestra to simply play and that he would cut the ending to the music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Some of my favourites have already been mentioned but I will add a few...

The scene with James Gandolfini and Patricia Arquette in True Romance.

The final shootout scene in State of Grace (don't watch if you haven't seen the movie).

The apartment storming scene in Leon.

and 2 scenes that just make me laugh every time - the road crossing scene with Eddie Murphy and the car park scene with the dog in stilettos - both from Bowfinger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The scene towards the end of The Last of The Mohicans when the British Army are surrendering and leaving the fort get attacked by Magua and a Huron war party.

The director does a great job conveying how absoultely terrifying it must have been for the people being attacked. The scenes following this are oustanding aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

MagicIRL wrote: »
    As the title says, do you have a favourite film scene and if so, what is it and why?

I tend to sway on my opinion but I'm really fond of the final scene in The Good, The Bad and The Ugly. The way the suspense and tension builds, with the music creeping up behind as the camera pans around the stand-off. Magic.

Both my favorite ever film and favorite ever scene.

I do really love the scene in the Nutty professor when Eddie Murphy lays into the dickhead comedian. It's brilliant.

Others: Sergeant Gunnery in Full Metal Jacket. His opening scene when he introduces himself to the new recruits.

Bruce Lee fighting O'Hara in Enter The Dragon is superb. Magic.

I also love the scene in The Godfather where Michael visits Moe Greene in Las Vegas; particularly the chilling bit at the end when he puts Fredo in his place about taking sides against the family. "Fredo, you're my older brother, and I love you. But don't ever take sides with anyone against the Family again. Ever." It was that line where Michael made his real entrance.

One of the most emotional and powerful movie scenes is the final scene in Midnight Express where Billy opens the door to freedom and begins to walk. His head lowers down as a jeep approaches, the music playing slowly, the jeep passes as he walks by, he gives a nervous look back and starts walking faster before running and leaping into the air. It's absolute spellbinding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_peznjLiTY4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

The moment Michael becomes his father's heir:

From his earlier declaration to his fiancée that "That’s my family, Kay. It’s not me", to the final line of this scene "It's not personal, Sonny. It's strictly business". That's the transformation that, to me, makes Godfather the better movie than it's more lauded sequel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Love the scene in where Christopher Walken turns up at Dennis Hopper's place looking for information on the whereabouts of Hopper's son is (Christian Slater).

Hopper gives Walken the monologue about the origin of Sicilians - Hilarious but very very dark.

Amazing scene from one of the greatest movies I've ever seen.

Thanks for reminding me ... awesome scene ... awesome movie..

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭wrmwit

The line up in The Usual Suspects. When I first watched it I had to pause the dvd I was laughing so hard!

http://youtu.be/tDfZ5HmA6fs

• Registered Users Posts: 54,589 ✭✭✭✭walshb

the_monkey wrote: »
    Thanks for reminding me ... awesome scene ... awesome movie..

One of the best thrill ride movies ever. It's pure perfection. Has the perfect blend of everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭arcticmonkeys

I always found the opening to Come and See 1985 really Eerie.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

Almost Famous - Tiny Dancer
    But ... not just that scene but everything that leads up to it. The arrival of the t-shirts with Russell Hammond out front and everybody else in shadow, the fight afterwards, Russell walking out, joining the local kids for a party, getting high, jumping off the roof in to the pool, the come down aftewards, and being picked up by the tour bus the next morning which leads to the famous Tiny Dancer singalong.

Okay, maybe that's cheating as it's several scenes but they're all interlinked and make the culmination of why singing together to Elton John was suddenly so important.

This

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭frostyjacks

.ak wrote: »
    Off top of my head Ronin's car chase always pops in there, or the bank heist in Heat.

Bank heist o'clock coming up on RTE 2 shortly. I remember the first time I saw this, my jaw was on the floor. It was an epic shoot out. I think it was the sound that struck me the most, it was like you could hear every round fired, even the metallic action of the assault rifles, it was different to all the other shoot outs I'd seen up to then. Must have been a serious amount of work went into that scene.

Rewatched Lilo & Stitch for the first time since it came out and found it to be one of the most touching and emotional films that I've seen in quite some time. I'm not a big Disney fan, Basil the Great Mouse Detective and The Black Cauldron would be the ones I really love and I can now add Lilo & Stitch to that list, given that it manages to be one of the most adult Disney films ever made. The relationship between Lilo & Stitch is really quite beautiful and the manner in which it explores a broken family and how it can come back together is beautifully realised. There's very few films which have genuinely touched - Grave of the Fireflies, The Iron Giant and Up reduces me to a blubbering mess every time I watch them - and as I watched Lilo & Stitch with my house mate I found myself repeatedly getting something in my eye. Re-watching a few key scenes from it over the past number of days and each time I've ended up wiping my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,666 ✭✭✭Delta2113

Animal Kingdom - all out of love scene

Creepy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 James2016

Totally agree with the bank heist in heat also the cafe seen with Pacino and de Niro is superb. So many good scenes in that film.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

Four candidates stand out. Apologies if people haven't seen them.

1. Not strictly a scene.... but the opening to Star Wars.

Twentieth Century Fox intro

"A long time ago, in a galaxy far far away"

Then the screen goes black for five seconds and then..... BAM!

2. The start of Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy in Budapest.

You can cut the tension with a knife.

Mark Strong's character knows that there's something wrong.

The waiter is nervous and sweating. An old lady looks out of an upstairs window and retreats immediately. The Hungarian defector continues to smile as if nothing is amiss. A train rumbles by. Mark Strong makes his excuses and stands up.

3. Last of the Mohicans.

When Daniel Day Lewis and his Mohican friends try to save the English girl from her Huron captors.

The Fiddle Song is haunting in the background. The English girl jumps off the rocks rather than be a Huron slave. And then the epic battle between the Last of the Mohicans and the chief Huron.

4. The opening to Inglorious Basterds.

In the French farmhouse, when Shoshanna and her family are under the floorboards and the Nazi Landa knows it.

He carries out his interrogation of the French farmer in both French and English and the tension mounts.

When he switches to English, he knows that the Jewish family don't speak English. He pretends that everything is calm & polite... and then comes the onslaught.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

I know the film as a whole wasn't a classic, but the Kaneda solar panels scene from Sunshine is amazing..........and I can't post the clip because youtube seem to have removed it. Here's the audio though

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HjY3NO4qoYc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

I shot Marvin in the face- Pulp Fiction

https://youtu.be/LBBni_-tMNs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Henry and Karen's date in Goodfellas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭robdonn

I admit that some of these could be classified as my favourite lines, but it's the scenes that make them.

American Beauty - Exercise advice

¡Three Amigos! - Infamous

Christmas Vacation - Can't see the line, can you Russ?

Home Alone - Dressed like a chicken?

Austin Powers - The Spy Who Shagged Me - Jerry Springer

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭Dunford

The Watch scene.

Advertisement