Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scope value

• 02-10-2015 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭

First this isnt a For sale thread . just looking for info.
    Got a nightforce 8-32x56 in a deal with my new .243. Its the model with the parallax on the front bell and has an illuminated reticle which has lines instead of mildots.
    What would The second hand value of the scope be?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,454 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

It's the benchrest model. Finer adjustments, lighter and an AO rather than side parallax adjustment.

They are on average €350 cheaper than the NXS model, new. So about the €1600 mark instead of €1,850. Second hand they are cheaper than the NXS. An NXS can go for between €1,000 to €1,200 depending on age and condition. Obviously the newer and less owners the more it can fetch.

The benchrest is less valuable because of it's design. The NXS is not ideally suited for hunting and the BR less so. It's a pure target scope. It can be used for hunting, but may only appeal to a certain audience.

Realistic second prices, based on age, condition and amount of owners, can go from between €800 - €1,000. You could ask for more, if selling, but may only get it if the person buying is after that specific scope. For someone hunting they could go for a much better suited/designated hunting scope.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Cass wrote: »
    It's the benchrest model. Finer adjustments, lighter and an AO rather than side parallax adjustment.

They are on average €350 cheaper than the NXS model, new. So about the €1600 mark instead of €1,850. Second hand they are cheaper than the NXS. An NXS can go for between €1,000 to €1,200 depending on age and condition. Obviously the newer and less owners the more it can fetch.

The benchrest is less valuable because of it's design. The NXS is not ideally suited for hunting and the BR less so. It's a pure target scope. It can be used for hunting, but may only appeal to a certain audience.

Realistic second prices, based on age, condition and amount of owners, can go from between €800 - €1,000. You could ask for more, if selling, but may only get it if the person buying is after that specific scope. For someone hunting they could go for a much better suited/designated hunting scope.

Good info there Cass thanks. Have it on the xbolt at the min. Its reasonably good in low light with the red reticle turned on to see it. Second owner of it. Know the lad who bought it.
    Didn't too bad in the deal anyway.

Will do for now but I want something better considering I haven't fired a shot off more than 8 yet.
    I find the field of view poor even on 8?

As said it's only marketed as a target scope. The glass quality is good, as you'd expect from Nightforce, but with 1/8 click value, AO, etc. there are better hunting scopes out there for the same or less money.

If you have it, then use it by all means. If it's not suiting your purposes then i'd consider selling.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,420 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Cass wrote: »

They are on average €350...

^^ This raised my hopes so much.

Then I saw:
    cheaper than the NXS model, new. So about the €1600 mark

youve-raised-my-hopes-and-dashed-them-quite-expertly-sir-bravo-thumb.jpg

:pac:

A Nightforce for €350:

benderLaughHarder.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

Id be hoping to get a bit more than 350 but if times are tough ill send you a pm :D

So im thinking ill go for something more suited for stalking. Dont think ill be adding any money to what i get for the scope and buy second hand to get better quality for money.

any recommendations on similar value?

Id be looking for something maybe 4-16(ish), and id ideally like mildot or similar type for drop compensation.

Advertisement