Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Australian tax thread 2013

Options
  • 02-07-2013 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi guys

Just did the prefill section on etax and am devastated at the figure they quoted me- $33 :(

I earned around 16K gross during 5 months work, paid nearly 5K tax! WTF anyone shed any light, could I have gone wrong somewhere or could the claiming lots of taxback be a myth? :mad:

Also had no expenses/medicare etc to claim back....

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this

Mod Please note I have created a new thread merged off the 2012 one from the start of 01/07/2013.
    Hussey

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

oztax wrote: »
    Hi guys

Just did the prefill section on etax and am devastated at the figure they quoted me- $33 :(

I earned around 16K gross during 5 months work, paid nearly 5K tax! WTF anyone shed any light, could I have gone wrong somewhere or could the claiming lots of taxback be a myth? :mad:

Also had no expenses/medicare etc to claim back....

Thanks to anyone who can shed some light on this

Deffo a mistake. You should get all back I'd day seeing you earned under 18200.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 oztax

Thanks for quick reply, it says my gross tax payable is 5000! is there anything obvious I'm missing??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You need to make sure your resident for tax purposes = Y, and you are paying no medicare levy, you should pay close to 0 tax, as you are in the low earner bracket

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Quick question...if you earn over the $18200 bracket, do you get taxed on your entire earnings, or just the amount you go over $18200?

OMG just changed resident for tax purposes from no to yes and it says I should get it ALL back??!! :)

sh!t it says that i ticked yes but this does not match ATO's records!

can i use irish bank details instead of oz bank does anyone know?

sorry for being a headwreck with so many questions!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

Kiith wrote: »
    Quick question...if you earn over the $18200 bracket, do you get taxed on your entire earnings, or just the amount you go over $18200?

Just over the 18.2k - the 18.2k is the tax free allowance

Legend100 wrote: »
    Just over the 18.2k - the 18.2k is the tax free allowance

From 18200-37000 you pay 19cents on every dollar earned.

37001-80000 it's 32.5cents on each dollar. Plus the 19% on the 18200-37000...

OMG just changed resident for tax purposes from no to yes and it says I should get it ALL back??!! :)

sh!t it says that i ticked yes but this does not match ATO's records!

can i use irish bank details instead of oz bank does anyone know?

sorry for being a headwreck with so many questions!

It doesn't matter if you ticked 'No' at the start of your employment and changed it to 'Y' as these are circumstances that do change.

You can only get a cheque for O/S accounts

Mod I'll create a 2013 tax thread soon

last question i promise!! :o

if i leave the bank details section blank does that mean they will automatically send me a cheque instead?

thanks a million for taking the time to answer my questions and putting my mind at ease :D

last question i promise!! :o

if i leave the bank details section blank does that mean they will automatically send me a cheque instead?

thanks a million for taking the time to answer my questions and putting my mind at ease :D

Yeah they'll post it to ya if ya want.

• Advertisement

great :) again thanks a million for the help and all the answers- much appreciated!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭hawkeye_bmr

Hey all

Im using this etax program and got a few quick Q's...

A2 - Other items - Part-year tax-free threshold
    in 2012/13 did you become an Australian resident?

I came to oz on 20 Sept 2012, started working 10th October at 1st job, then changed to a new job on 29th Jan 2013,

I assume I click yes for this part, but what date do I put in when I became an Australian resident, 6months after my start date?

Also, when I clicked submit it tried to verify my identity, but didnt work, says I have to do a "shared secret"?

Hey all

Im using this etax program and got a few quick Q's...

A2 - Other items - Part-year tax-free threshold
    in 2012/13 did you become an Australian resident?

I came to oz on 20 Sept 2012, started working 10th October at 1st job, then changed to a new job on 29th Jan 2013,

I assume I click yes for this part, but what date do I put in when I became an Australian resident, 6months after my start date?

Also, when I clicked submit it tried to verify my identity, but didnt work, says I have to do a "shared secret"?

You cannot submit eTax in your first year *I think*, print it and post it -
    No you can backdate the Resident for Tax purposes.

hussey wrote: »
    You cannot submit eTax in your first year *I think*, print it and post it -
    No you can backdate the Resident for Tax purposes.

you can (I did last year), you just cant do it on the second day after financial year end :)

need to give it a few weeks so that the ATO has some details on you (passed on from employer/bank)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 713 ✭✭✭newuser89

I started working end of January till end of June so I worked 5 months of the tax year
    Earned just over 80000-
    Paid just over 30000 in tax

Can anyone tell me what I can expect back once I claim
    Some people say a lot and others say a little bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

newuser89 wrote: »
    I started working end of January till end of June so I worked 5 months of the tax year
    Earned just over 80000-

I earned roughly the same last year, was expecting 10k back.

I got 3k.

Best advise, don't expect much.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 5,374 Mod ✭✭✭✭aido79

newuser89 wrote: »
    Earned just over 80000-

Have a look at the Australian tax office website www.ato.gov.au or look up tax calculator for a rough estimate. If you earn $80000 you will pay around $3500 in tax so depending on your expenses don't expect much back. Don't forget to claim the medicare exemption levy if you are on a working holiday visa. This is around 1.5% of what you earn and its automatically paid by everyone so you need to claim it back.

Just as a FYI, a lot of people hear 'you get all your tax back' stories from people.
    This is simply down to how much you earnt, if you are under a certain threshold (I think around 30k mark) you are classed as a low earner and don't pay much tax at all.
    If someone worked Jan-Dec they are working 2 tax years, so again they can get a lot of tax back.
    So when ya hear people saying you get all of it back, take it with a pinch of salt

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

I applied for Medicare exemption 6 weeks ago and still no cert. I done my return using etax in the tax office and the would let me claim because I didn't physically have the cert yet

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

hussey wrote: »
    Just as a FYI, a lot of people hear 'you get all your tax back' stories from people.
    This is simply down to how much you earnt, if you are under a certain threshold (I think around 30k mark) you are classed as a low earner and don't pay much tax at all.
    If someone worked Jan-Dec they are working 2 tax years, so again they can get a lot of tax back.
    So when ya hear people saying you get all of it back, take it with a pinch of salt

I worked from March to June last year so my gross earning were only about 12k i got the vast majority (if not all) of my tax back. I've worked alot more this year and ill get less tax back :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 lavelle72

In the Medicare section in etax, after choosing to apply for the exemption it asks for private health insurance details, contributions etc - I don't remember having to provide this other years?

*Edit: spoke to BUPA and they said my basic visitors cover (on a 457) was not a complying private health insurance fund and as such I don't get a tax statement. She said I can bypass that question by answering 'no'...

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mikester21

Just filled out all my details on etax, my estimated return is $208 WTF???

My tax withheld was $12,285, its my 3rd year and the past 2 years have been around $3k return. Whats going on?

Mikester21 wrote: »

My tax withheld was $12,285, its my 3rd year and the past 2 years have been around $3k return. Whats going on?

are you on a 457 - i.e are you exempt from medicare and have put down that you are exempt on e-tax?

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Mikester21 wrote: »

Same as ... Paid more tax than I ever have and they are quoting me less. You just need to get more creative with your return!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭monariek

in the E-Tax section "Other Items - A2 - part year tax free" i entered that i become australian resident for tax purposes on 1 Feb 2013, as this is the day i arrived in the country

This results in a reduced tax free threshold of $15k

Is this correct or should I enter 1 July 2012?

also, if i am on a de-facto 457 visa am I de-facto for tax return purposes?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭cikearney

monariek wrote: »
    in the E-Tax section "Other Items - A2 - part year tax free" i entered that i become australian resident for tax purposes on 1 Feb 2013, as this is the day i arrived in the country

This results in a reduced tax free threshold of $15k

I arrived in January and stared work in February so put February as the date I became a resident, worked 133 days out bush but missed the 188 days threshold and only got a 431 part year threshold

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Hey Guys, anyone know if you can claim back migration agent fees? Tax Back Australia are saying you can't, but a bloke who works with my GF says he claimed his back?

Also, is it possible to claim back health insurance fees?

Hey Guys, anyone know if you can claim back migration agent fees? Tax Back Australia are saying you can't, but a bloke who works with my GF says he claimed his back?

nope on both fronts - the health insurance premium used to be reduced by a tax saving at source but that was abolished last year. Now there is a health insurance loading scheme in place if you are over 30 but is mainly only if you have PR (and doesn't really have much to do with tax anymore)

Your GF's buddy claimed his migration fees - fact of the matter is that Australia's tax system is self assessment (like Ireland) so you can claim whatever you like, whether you are actually entitled to claim is the difference. If you gf's buddy was audited, he'd be repaying tax with interest.

the key theory in claiming a deduction is whether it was incurred in earning assessable income. Migration fees are for the "primary" purposes of living here not for working here so not allowable. One could say the same about tax agents (ie you pay them but they do not aid you in earning assessable income) which is why the legislation was amended to specifically allow a personal deduction for accountants fees for the preparation of a tax return

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Migration agent fees - no. Tax agent fees - yes.

And despite being told on boards that you can't claim back health insurance fees, my provider has yet again sent me a statement with my rebate amount which my tax agent said I can claim back so .... who knows!

• Advertisement

Batgurl wrote: »
    Migration agent fees - no. Tax agent fees - yes.

And despite being told on boards that you can't claim back health insurance fees, my provider has yet again sent me a statement with my rebate amount which my tax agent said I can claim back so .... who knows!

The health insurance rebate depends on certain factors and is driven by the health insurance loading

this explains it better than I can :)
    http://www.privatehealth.gov.au/healthinsurance/incentivessurcharges/insurancerebate.htm

Advertisement