Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gps dog tracking

Options
  • 09-10-2015 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭

Any of ye using any kind of gps tracking on yer dogs?
    Was out for a stroll the other day and was tracking the journey with an app on my phone.
    Just for the likes of top speed/distance/location on maps etc. Found the dtats for my own walk fairly interesting and would love to know the stats for the dogs.
    Any suggestions of whats available on the cheap??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Tikka391

djflawless wrote: »
    Was out for a stroll the other day and was tracking the journey with an app on my phone.
    Just for the likes of top speed/distance/location on maps etc. Found the dtats for my own walk fairly interesting and would love to know the stats for the dogs.

Hi sorry but if you don't mind me asking what app were you using.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,027 ✭✭✭clivej

Will you have to put a mobile phone on your dog.??

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Tikka391 wrote: »
    Hi sorry but if you don't mind me asking what app were you using.

I use endomondo, I used it there one Saturday morning last November and walked something like 16 kilometres!

These are the stats that i get. Very handy. Even records when you've no data usage left :D

223vmax wrote: »

Could you tell me a bit more about this?
    Does it track a journey on a map or just the stats like distance etc?
    And if its tracking, what way do i view it on a map?
    Also the size on a collar
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭223vmax

Could you tell me a bit more about this?
    Does it track a journey on a map or just the stats like distance etc?
    And if its tracking, what way do i view it on a map?
    Also the size on a collar
    Thanks

You can program it via PC or by sending commands via text message. You provide the SIM and put into the GPS tracker. There are many modes.... I program it to record the GPS location every 15seconds. These co-ords are stored in the device. Once you need the data you download the logged co-ords and then import into Goggle Earth, or the app that comes with the device. If your handy with Google Earth you can then work out the distance travelled etc.

To use in real time you call the GPS tracker. It responds with a few bits of info...Batt life, GPS Co-Ords, Speed.

There is no collar, you'll have to make a little water proof pouch and make water tight. I put the tracker in a balloon with some bubble wrap and then into a pouch I took off an old hunting belt. Then put on to dogs collar. It works fine and they are cheap. I use 2 on our Fox Hounds, works a treat!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Download an app called Austral GPS tracker.There is a free download and a buyable one,latter is handy if you are putting these in a car.You slave the number to the programme on your phone and it then gives you touch facility to track where your dog or car is.Even with no GPS it will work on the phone signal.so just ring the number ,hang up once it goes to voice and it will kick up a google map as to where the last location was of the tracker.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
Advertisement