Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best technique for weight training

Options
  • 22-07-2014 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭

Lost 10% body fat in the last year thanks to the leg press and pull down. I want to know if I'm doing things wrong : I've trained myself to be able to do 150 reps on the leg press using 155kg. Is this safe ?should I be doing lower weights with more reps or less reps with higher weights?also I'm doing 100 reps with 85kg on the pulldown. I'm usually still having to rest for the next 2-3 days so is it safe or could I risk damage to my body

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Eh, this is the Health Sciences Education forum?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

moved to health and fitness from health sciences education. Please note their charter now applies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

Are they the only two exercises you have done in the gym?

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭carlowplayer

discus wrote: »
    Are they the only two exercises you have done in the gym?
    Have done some cardio as well

I know this might be a little patronising, and I'll tell you now I'm fairly unqualified to say much about sports strength and conditioning, but considering that those two movements only cover very little of what your body can do, you could probably expand your program a bit.

• Advertisement

discus wrote: »
    I know this might be a little patronising, and I'll tell you now I'm fairly unqualified to say much about sports strength and conditioning, but considering that those two movements only cover very little of what your body can do, you could probably expand your program a bit.
    Theres them and the leg curl and machine that covers upper arms and pecs availible at the gym I could expand my routine but that still doesn't answer my original question

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lost 10% body fat in the last year thanks to the leg press and pull down. I want to know if I'm doing things wrong : I've trained myself to be able to do 150 reps on the leg press using 155kg. Is this safe ?should I be doing lower weights with more reps or less reps with higher weights?also I'm doing 100 reps with 85kg on the pulldown. I'm usually still having to rest for the next 2-3 days so is it safe or could I risk damage to my body
    150 reps:eek:. What sport do u play?. I would suggest doing Squats & Deadlifts.
    Lep Press does not work your stabilizers unlike Squats & Deadlifts so u could set yourself up for injury

MD1990 wrote: »
    150 reps:eek:. What sport do u play?. I would suggest doing Squats & Deadlifts.
    Lep Press does not work your stabilizers unlike Squats & Deadlifts so u could set yourself up for injury
    So should I avoid the leg press and is there any other exercise that can exercise my stabilisers

So should I avoid the leg press and is there any other exercise that can exercise my stabilisers
    Squats & Deadlifts would be the exercises I would do. .This would be an excellent program for you. http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

MD1990 wrote: »
    Squats & Deadlifts would be the exercises I would do. .This would be an excellent program for you. http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Also how long on average should I have the afterpains from a workout? If it lasts longer is that a good or bad thing?does that mean more fat is burned when it I'm required to rest longer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Also how long on average should I have the afterpains from a workout? If it lasts longer is that a good or bad thing?

Maybe a day or two. It only happens if you haven't been lifting weights regularly and it'll go away soon enough. It's neither good nor bad.

Also how long on average should I have the afterpains from a workout? If it lasts longer is that a good or bad thing?
    Impossible to say how long as there are lot of factors like intensity of training & nutrition. I would not worry about muscle soreness but you are probably severly overtrained if u are doing that many reps of leg press. Best to get reps lower to gain strength.

Maybe a day or two. It only happens if you haven't been lifting weights regularly and it'll go away soon enough. It's neither good nor bad.

As for diet:low carb,high protein,low fat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Fat is fine, if you wanna go the low carb route then by all means do - it works. Just cut out junk food and alcohol, eat lots of meat and veg and you'll do well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Try and split up your exercises into a mini circuit

eg
    back squat x5
    med ball push up x5 each side
    chin up x5
    (lower body, upper body push & core, upper body pull)
    three exercises, loads of body parts targetted, no machines harmed

another circuit could be
    deadlift (lower body pull)
    swiss ball jack-knife (core and hips stability)
    shoulder press (upper body push)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 582 ✭✭✭sleepyheadh

Why is this here?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,551 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

It thinks therefore it is.

Damn I hate those philosophical threads.. Bleeding nuance!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Why are any of us really here

bluewolf wrote: »

Damn you to hell Descartes!!! Look what he has started

• Advertisement

If indeed we are.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

thinking-man.jpg

Stop stop right now!!!!

thinking-man.jpg

Contemplating Smolov, obviously.

I gainz, therefore I swole

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I've trained myself to be able to do 150 reps on the leg press using 155kg. Is this safe ?should I be doing lower weights with more reps or less reps with higher weights?also I'm doing 100 reps with 85kg on the pulldown.
    Are you doing these reps in one go without stopping?
    Or are you breaking then up into sets of 10-15?
    I have a feeling it's the latter

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭chriity139

Mellor wrote: »
    Are you doing these reps in one go without stopping?
    Or are you breaking then up into sets of 10-15?
    I have a feeling it's the latter

150 reps of the leg press is doable at that weight but not the latt pulldown, grip would get all types of f**ked :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,726 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Can you imagine what you'd look like after a year or 2..... Skinny body, huge outa place lats and massive thighs :)

Advertisement