Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Flying from Dublin to Tokyo

• 23-07-2014 10:39pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi, just looking for some advice if anyone can help!

I'm going to Tokyo in November and booking my flights now. The cheapest seems to be to fly from Dublin to Amsterdam and then Narita. As this will be my first long haul and layover trip I just have a few questions. The main thing I'm worried about is the layover in Amsterdam is only 50m and wondering would this be enough time to make the connecting flight? Will I go through a separate route for connections or have to go through the whole security process? Also wondering about baggage as I'm booking through KLM but the flight from Dub to Ams is operated by Aer Lingus so I'm worried that would my baggage make the transfer on time and how does that work?

Any advice much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭micar

I went through Frankfurt.
    I had no issues.

Amazing place. You're going to love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭Ideo

Hi, just looking for some advice if anyone can help!

I'm going to Tokyo in November and booking my flights now. The cheapest seems to be to fly from Dublin to Amsterdam and then Narita. As this will be my first long haul and layover trip I just have a few questions. The main thing I'm worried about is the layover in Amsterdam is only 50m and wondering would this be enough time to make the connecting flight? Will I go through a separate route for connections or have to go through the whole security process? Also wondering about baggage as I'm booking through KLM but the flight from Dub to Ams is operated by Aer Lingus so I'm worried that would my baggage make the transfer on time and how does that work?

Any advice much appreciated!

Went the other direction a couple of years ago.

Bags will be routed through Amsterdam airport on to the japan flight so you don't need to worry about that.

50 mins shoul be enough, just connect through the departure gates. You'll get the Amsterdam Japan boarding pass when you board in japan so you go straight to the Gate. Don't remember having to clear security again in Amsterdam.

Enjoy japan, savage country!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

Ideo wrote: »
    Went the other direction a couple of years ago.

Bags will be routed through Amsterdam airport on to the japan flight so you don't need to worry about that.

50 mins shoul be enough, just connect through the departure gates. You'll get the Amsterdam Japan boarding pass when you board in japan so you go straight to the Gate. Don't remember having to clear security again in Amsterdam.

Enjoy japan, savage country!

Great thanks for that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Just an FYI Emirates have a special fares promotion at the moment and return flights to Narita from Dublin are just €701 but have to be booked before August 4th.

http://www.emirates.com/ie/english/destinations_offers/special_offers/special_fares/special_fares.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 8,972 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

50 minute connection time? I would not be doing that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭lc180

If you still looking it is worth checking out Turkish Airlines. They have some great deals. I'm flying with them end of October to Tokyo and back from Seoul all for under 700euro.

The route is a couple hours longer than KLM but might suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

Amsterdam is easy to transit through; gates are always close together and if you do need to go through security it will be at the gate for the Japan flight so you won't be in a big queue with passengers from other flights.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭MiloDublin

Haneda the previous international airport is much closer to downtown Tokyo than Narita (9 miles vs. 36) and is still served by a few foreign airlines, Air France, BA, Emirates etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

There's info on klm's website.
    http://www.klm.com/travel/ie_en/prepare_for_travel/at_the_airport/connections/index.htm#p2
    Aparantly when you checkin you'll get full detailed instructions on your transfer between the flights.
    Minimum changeover time is 50 min but should you miss it then klm will rebook you for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,367 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I had a similar connecting flight in Amsterdam when travelling to the Phillipeans. Think it was 50 minutes too. Very very close call. We just about made the flight after leggng it across the airport but our bags didnt .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

If I had to choose any hub in which to make a tight connection, it'd be Schipol.

The only thing to be wary of is it's not uncommon for Dutch ATC to instruct EI to sit on the tarmac in Dublin for 20+ mins (often due to early morning fog or congestion at AMS). Add in a laborious taxi if landing on runway 18R/36L & there's a chance you'll still make the connection, but your baggage won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ScottSF

Personally, I would hesitate to book a connection on the WAY to your overseas (long-distance) holiday destination of less than 1 hour. If the return flight had a short layover there is less risk as you are only making your way back home. But if your flight is delayed from Dublin and you miss the connection to Tokyo, will you have to wait until the next day for the next scheduled flight? Or is there one more flight from AMS-NRT that day?

Your other option is to fly to whatever airport you want to connect through (Amsterdam, London, Frankfurt, Copenhagen, ...) the night before. Stay overnight near the airport and that way you'll never miss your flight. That may open up more options for you to find a low-cost fare to Japan.

Just in case you didn't realize, that Tokyo has two airports so when you search Skyscanner.ie for flights type in "Tokyo" to view results for Narita and Haneda. I'm sure you already figured this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,820 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ok, i have your solution (probably)

if you book on KLM directly theres a nifty option "do you need more transfer time" and it will allow you to take an earlier flight from Dublin giving you either 2h15 or over 5hours depending on how long you want to spend and which earlier flight you choose.

Advertisement