Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does McGuinness have any chance given the Indo's campaign against him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    What's that in there? A claim about a Michael D sex allegation ?

Was I fast asleep for that one ? Or is it made up ?
    haha saw something about that in the mail on sunday yesterday (when else). Didn't bother reading though, the press is really starting to bug me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Ladjacket wrote: »
    Finally, I find the attitude of a lot of people south of the border towards those who live in Ulster nothing short of disgusting. On numerous times in the past, I have been asked am I British because I am from Donegal!
    I'm not sure if it's really that disgusting to ask someone with a Northern accent* if they are British - most people in NI are British in identity. Disgusting? :confused:

*not everyone will recognise a Donegal accent

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

I'm not sure if it's really that disgusting to ask someone with a Northern accent* if they are British - most people in NI are British in identity. Disgusting? :confused:

Monty - I have been asked this once I have stated I am from Donegal! The ignorance of some people has to be seen/heard to be believed!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Narrow and closed minded at the very least. Stupid at the worst.

Monty - I have been asked this once I have stated I am from Donegal!
    Ouch! That's different...

• Advertisement

How so?

How so?

If you can't work that out, you are either pedantic or ignorant.

dp

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

I can't work it out either. He is from Donegal. Someone asked him was he British. How does that make them narrow and closed minded?

You are claiming that it is 'narrow and closed-minded' not to recognise a Donegal accent as not being from a part of NI? Seriously? Would someone from Donegal always be able to distinguish a Wexford accent from a Waterford accent?

Or is it 'narrow and closed-minded' to state that most people in NI consider themselves to be British?

Try to actually address the questions and clarify your meaning instead of firing insults, the discussion will go much better that way.

• Advertisement

You are claiming that it is 'narrow and closed-minded' not to recognise a Donegal accent as not being from a part of NI? Seriously? Would someone from Donegal always be able to distinguish a Wexford accent from a Waterford accent?

Or is it 'narrow and closed-minded' to state that most people in NI consider themselves to be British?

Try to actually address the questions and clarify your meaning instead of firing insults, the discussion will go much better that way.

I think you need to reread Ladjacket's post again. He/she was asked if he was british because he is from Donegal. It was yourself who went down the accent route, when in fact that had nothing to do with it.

And this Northern boy can tell the difference in those two accents by the way.(got a place in wexford:)). Who did I insult?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

But Northern Ireland isn't in Britain - the clue is in the full name of the United Kingdom

I think you need to reread Ladjacket's post again. He/she was asked if he was british because he is from Donegal. It was yourself who went down the accent route, when in fact that had nothing to do with it.
    It's odd that you seemed to know that he wasn't referring to confusion due to his accent even before he wrote the post clarifying that... :confused:
    And this Northern boy can tell the difference in those two accents by the way.(got a place in wexford:)). Who did I insult?
    The people who you described as 'either pedantic or ignorant', perhaps?

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    But Northern Ireland isn't in Britain - the clue is in the full name of the United Kingdom

Indeed, NI isn't in Britain, but the fact remains that most of them consider themselves British, as is their right under the GFA.

It's odd that you seemed to know that he wasn't referring to confusion due to his accent even before he wrote the post clarifying that... :confused:

QUOTE]

He posted his post at 15.02 and I posted at 15.53. As I advised you, please reread his post before you continue with this . Read carefully.

He posted his post at 15.02 and I posted at 15.53. As I advised you, please reread his post before you continue with this . Read carefully.

You replied quoting a post that I wrote where I suggested how confusion could arise that was written before Ladjacket clarified that he was asked whether he was British after he told them he was from Donegal. Do you understand?

So what about my post or what I was saying was 'narrow and closed-minded at best' and 'stupid' at worst?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

Martin McGuinness FTW :)

Finally, I find the attitude of a lot of people south of the border towards those who live in Ulster nothing short of disgusting. On numerous times in the past, I have been asked am I British because I am from Donegal! The same reflection is in the media as well, how dare this masked terrorist come down from Belfast to even attempt to win the race for Presidency?! A lot of people in and around the capital especially seem to forget that whilst innocent people were killed on both sides of the conflict in the troubles in the north, they were still Irishmen and Irishwomen. Just because it happened north of the border does not make it any less important.

No mention of accents. It was yourself who entered and tried to change what was said. You haven't taken my advice and reread this post. Why clarify anything.

I wont rise to your bait on the second part of your latest statement as I'm sure you will run to a mod again.(which is your right im sure).

No mention of accents. It was yourself who entered and tried to change what was said. You haven't taken my advice and reread this post. Why clarify anything.

I wont rise to your bait on the second part of your latest statement as I'm sure you will run to a mod again.(which is your right im sure).

Here is the sequence of posts. This is all that Ladjacket said about being from Donegal:
    Finally, I find the attitude of a lot of people south of the border towards those who live in Ulster nothing short of disgusting. On numerous times in the past, I have been asked am I British because I am from Donegal!

He has not stated that he tells people he's from Donegal at this point, just that he's been asked if he's British. The obvious question is whether people might think he's from NI due to his accent. I post:

He then clarifies that this is after he tells them he's from Donegal:
    Monty - I have been asked this once I have stated I am from Donegal! The ignorance of some people has to be seen/heard to be believed!

And then you quote my last post and write:

Now I'll ask you again - what exactly are you referring to in my post that is 'narrow and closed minded at the very best' and 'stupid at the worst'? :confused:

By the way, you'll get no trouble from the mods if you abide by the forum rules.

I have been asked am I british because I am from Donegal.

What more do you need him to say to prove that he is from there, do you want a passport or birth cert!! Maybe you cant or wont see what he is saying. Hope this isn't too personal on you.

• Advertisement

What more do you need him to say to prove that he is from there, do you want a passport or birth cert!! Maybe you cant or wont see what he is saying. Hope this isn't too personal on you.

Have you somehow construed my posts to be suggesting that I don't believe him? :confused:

Wow - that's almost unbelievable...where did you ever get that notion from this post? :eek:

Here's the text again - please explain where you get the idea that I am questioning whether he's really from Donegal or not:

Have you somehow construed my posts to be suggesting that I don't believe him? :confused:

Wow - that's almost unbelievable...where did you ever get that notion from this post? :eek:

Here's the text again - please explain where you get the idea that I am questioning whether he's really from Donegal or not:

No and no. So that answers your third part.

No and no. So that answers your third part.

This is getting really weird. So now you are saying that you did not totally misunderstand my post. Then why did you say this:

...when I asked you what was 'narrow and closed minded at very best' and 'stupid at worst' about my post?

Can you please clarify why you said this, and then you can go on to clarify what was narrow minded etc. as well.

Just as a side note, can anyone else understand what the hell he's saying? :confused: Is it me?

Saying this is another McGuinness thread and he is a peacemaker, will we agree to disagree?

Looking at it I think you picked him up one way and I did another. Thats my way of saying you are wrong;).

He stated he has been asked is he British because he is from Donegal. As simple as that.

This is where the pedantic or ignorant came into it.

In your own way you turned it around and made it into a British thing by way of accent, which was and is nothing to do with it. Plus I actually think he was having a dig at you when you asked him to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

Just as a side note, can anyone else understand what the hell he's saying? :confused: Is it me?

he used the phrase narrow and closed minded in regards the person who thought the poster could be British being from Donegal. It wasn't directed at you.

Now, why someone who thinks a person from Donegal could be British is narrow and closed minded is beyond me. Basically, he made a silly comment and won't back down.

Obviously there are hundreds (if not thousands) of people in Donegal who are British, but that is a totally different argument.

He stated he has been asked is he British because he is from Donegal. As simple as that.

This is where the pedantic or ignorant came into it.
    But it's not really all that ignorant if someone doesn't know the difference between a say a Donegal accent and a Tyrone accent, is it? A lot of people would have little exposure to either. And to call it 'narrow and closed-minded at the very best' and 'stupid at worst' seems to be a very harsh reaction to those who couldn't nail down the differences in accent every time.
    In your own way you turned it around and made it into a British thing by way of accent, which was and is nothing to do with it. Plus I actually think he was having a dig at you when you asked him to clarify.
    I didn't turn anything in any direction. I just wondered if they might have mistaken him for someone from NI due to being unfamiliar with the small differences in accent. And I don't think that he was having a dig at all - it was a perfectly polite response to a reasonable point.

What was stated was nothing to do with accents from Donegal, Tyrone, Derry or Timbutu. You turned it that way, believe it or not Mr Ripley.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

Unfortunately this thread has been allowed to veer completely off topic due to the lack of good moderating.
    Indeed, NI isn't in Britain, but the fact remains that most of them consider themselves British, as is their right under the GFA.
    This brings us back to that head of state thing. The GFA as you know also respects the right of those who don't consider themselves British, don't forget about that significant demographic in NI. Just because most of them consider themselves British, you needn't trample on the minority who don't - a minority that essentially was created due to the arbitrary nature of the border. I imagine if McG's wish for a United Ireland came about, the unionist vote would be a massively powerful lobby group. Something along the lines of how Conor Cruise O'Brien saw a United Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Minstrel

I started a thread (which was locked) about comments made by leading BBC journalist Jeremy Paxman relating to McGuinness. I think it's important to include the piece here. It helps give context to the nature of the anti-mcguinness campaign being waged by the Indo. Interesting interview with Paxman which touches on the McGuinness candidacy (highlighted in bold). Paxman is surprised at the furore over McGuinness.

I urge you to read the whole lot, but I'll just paste the bits that refer to Martin McGuinness. Here's the link

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/...305625510.html

Like other British figures, Paxman is surprised to hear that Martin McGuinness’s presidential campaign is attracting such vehement opposition in some quarters in the Republic: “It is clearly better that people are not killing each other.” But is it not more significant than that? “Well, every event in history is to some degree sui generis, isn’t it? I don’t find it surprising that someone who once fought physically against an imperial power is now a politician.
    “It has happened all over the place, so I don’t find it that astonishing, but it is interesting . . . As I say, it is better that people are not being killed. Given the history of Ireland and the history of Irish politics I think I can understand where [McGuinness’s opponents] are coming from.
    “I find it to be a very strange position of having to defend Martin McGuinness. He can defend himself, but his whole life’s campaign has been to establish, or re-establish, as he would see it, a political integrity which ignores the Border.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Ladjacket

Me again! Apologies if my posts have meant that this has gone off topic slightly. My intention was not to cause some controversy, but merely to illustrate how some people 'south of the border' tend to view Ulster in its entirety as a 9 county United Kingdom colony almost.

That is the most galling part.

I would suggest that we all get back on topic here - Martin McGuinness has been shamefully treated in this election campaign in MY view - and the attitude that I pick up on is that he would be best suited to suck it up and accept it because he used to be a murderer - which in, again, MY view, is wrong.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement