Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Going back to College? Check here for Mature/Disabled/Access/Grant & Fees information

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

My education is I done a PLC and passed that and then done a course in GMIT which I droped out of in the first year , then I done another course shortly after and got to 3rd year before dropping out.I got a diploma and now want to go back and finish/get a degree.

Since I am more then 5 years out of college and was just made redundant from work and from what I understand that means I qualify for Back to Education so should get the fees paid for but what about the Student Contribution Fee from which I understand SUSI pays for if I qualify for it.

Since I got a level 7 cert already does that mean I cant go back and do another level 7 and get the fees and Student Contribution Fee payed for?

Since I dropped out of 2 third level courses does that mean I dont qualify for the second chance scheme ?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭Brendygg

Quick question, If you were on job seekers benefit 9 months before the date your course started would you get the BTEA? Seems like a waste of 9 months. So on jsb from january 2016, apply for course for september 2016, you would qualify? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

My education is I done a PLC and passed that and then done a course in GMIT which I droped out of in the first year , then I done another course shortly after and got to 3rd year before dropping out.I got a diploma and now want to go back and finish/get a degree.

Since I am more then 5 years out of college and was just made redundant from work and from what I understand that means I qualify for Back to Education so should get the fees paid for but what about the Student Contribution Fee from which I understand SUSI pays for if I qualify for it.

Since I got a level 7 cert already does that mean I cant go back and do another level 7 and get the fees and Student Contribution Fee payed for?

Since I dropped out of 2 third level courses does that mean I dont qualify for the second chance scheme ?

You need to find out exactly what NFQ Level your cert/diploma is.
    When you find out this, you will not receive any funding if you attend a course at the same level as the cert/diploma.

If you qualify and you also qualify for BTEA, depending on your reckonable income, SUSI do pay the contribution portion of the fees if you are eligible.

Brendygg wrote: »
    Quick question, If you were on job seekers benefit 9 months before the date your course started would you get the BTEA? Seems like a waste of 9 months. So on jsb from january 2016, apply for course for september 2016, you would qualify? Thanks

From Citizens Advice.
    Qualifying period

For second level courses you must have been getting a qualifying social welfare payment (see above) for at least 3 months (78 days of unemployment). You must be getting the qualifying paymentimmediately before you start the course.
    For third level courses you must have been getting a qualifying social welfare payment (see above) for 9 months (234 days of unemployment). You must be getting the qualifying payment immediately before you start the course. For the Professional Masters in Education, you must have been getting a qualifying social welfare payment for 12 months (312 days).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Louis Lane 6

Hi all, hope you are enjoying the summer. I'm starting a degree course in September as a mature student. In relation to grants/funding I know there is the SUSI, BTEA, Student Assistance Fund and SVdeP. Does anyone who has gone down the road of doing a course as a mature student know of any other grants/funds that helps pay for college?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Hi all, hope you are enjoying the summer. I'm starting a degree course in September as a mature student. In relation to grants/funding I know there is the SUSI, BTEA, Student Assistance Fund and SVdeP. Does anyone who has gone down the road of doing a course as a mature student know of any other grants/funds that helps pay for college?

Have a look at pgs 28 to 39 in the booklet below. You might find something useful for you as regards funding.

http://www.aontas.com/download/pdf/what_next_august_2013_web.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭uptherebels

Sup08 wrote: »
    No
    You must have a break of 3 years or more from your studies to be reclassed from dependent to independent.
    But you can start in year 1 of a level 8 if you have been awarded your level 7

See I lived in the UK for five years, came home and lived with the parents for a few months then moved out and returned as a mature student to 3rd level. I could have just sat on the dole for the year i was back and got btea. But I worked a ****ty minimum wage job instead.
    Both my parents are retired but have good pensions so if assessed jointly because i lived with them for a few months in the year before i started I wouldn't receive any grant.
    Does the joint assessment apply regardless of my age(27) and the length of time i was actually back at home?

See I lived in the UK for five years, came home and lived with the parents for a few months then moved out and returned as a mature student to 3rd level. I could have just sat on the dole for the year i was back and got btea. But I worked a ****ty minimum wage job instead.
    Both my parents are retired but have good pensions so if assessed jointly because i lived with them for a few months in the year before i started I wouldn't receive any grant.
    Does the joint assessment apply regardless of my age(27) and the length of time i was actually back at home?

If you were already classed, irrespective of where you live, you cannot change your class unless you have a break of 3 years.
    This applies to both independent and dependent.

For example, If you were classed as a Mature Independent Student on your last course and still moved home to your parents house, you are still classed as being independent at your point of entry or re-entry and cannot be re-classed as dependent.
    The opposite would be if you were classed as being dependent upon your parents because you were under 23 or over 23 but lived with your parents at your point of entry or re-entry, then this class would not change even if you lived independently.

Therefore if your class is already dependent upon your parents, then your parents income is reckonable no matter what age you are, your marital status or where you live.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭betsie

This may be a stupid question but when returning to college as a mature student that has to pay fees is it the EU or Non-EU fees you pay. EU makes more sense but these things don't always go with what makes most sense!!

betsie wrote: »
    This may be a stupid question but when returning to college as a mature student that has to pay fees is it the EU or Non-EU fees you pay. EU makes more sense but these things don't always go with what makes most sense!!

You pay based on your nationality, EU or Non-EU.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

I just received my letter back from SUSI requesting documentation needed to be sent off and they're looking for:
    • My evidence of living here for the last 3 of 5 years
    • VTOS statement

I've no idea how to go about getting that statement and where I need to go to get it stamped/signed. Also, what would be the most appropriate stuff to send them for my proof of living here? I don't have any bank statements and usually throw away most post, especially from 3 or more years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,077 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

I just received my letter back from SUSI requesting documentation needed to be sent off and they're looking for:
    • VTOS statement

I've no idea how to go about getting that statement and where I need to go to get it stamped/signed. Also, what would be the most appropriate stuff to send them for my proof of living here? I don't have any bank statements and usually throw away most post, especially from 3 or more years ago.

For living here I sent in p60 theres a list on the back of the lette saying what ya can use

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kitty89

I just got accepted to a level 8 course and I have a question about the fees. I'm a mature student who completed another level 8 course in 2010, so this would be my second level 8 course. According to SUSI I am not eligible for a grant because I am doing the same level of course again, but I was wondering if I would be paying both the student contribution fee, as well as the tuition fee? Or is there some thing about having been away for a number of years that I won't have to pay the tuition?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

When did you get your letters from Susi and when did you apply? I applied within the first week of applications opening but haven't heard anything

Kitty89 wrote: »
    I just got accepted to a level 8 course and I have a question about the fees. I'm a mature student who completed another level 8 course in 2010, so this would be my second level 8 course. According to SUSI I am not eligible for a grant because I am doing the same level of course again, but I was wondering if I would be paying both the student contribution fee, as well as the tuition fee? Or is there some thing about having been away for a number of years that I won't have to pay the tuition?

Unfortunately, you pay all fees even if you never received funding for your previous course.
    You will only be eligible for a fee contribution if you are progressing to Post Graduate study on an approved course.

AngryLips wrote: »
    When did you get your letters from Susi and when did you apply? I applied within the first week of applications opening but haven't heard anything

Straight forward refusals would be fairly quick to learn they don't qualify, also depending on when they originally applied.

• VTOS statement

SUSI have a doc on their site listing the acceptable documents required to verify your application: http://susi.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Document-Requirement-Guidelines-in-Support-of-your-Grant-Application.pdf

A VTOS cert should be available from whatever centre you attended as a VTOS student. If they are closed then the head office of whatever ETB local area you are in should be able to provide it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Kitty89

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew if I would be entitled to any funding based on this situation. I have previously completed a level 8 course in 2010, but it was only 3 years long. I'm going into another level 8 course which is 4 years long. Would I be entitled to anything for the 4th year considering my last course didn't have a fourth year?

Thanks for any info:)

Kitty89 wrote: »
    Hi, I was wondering if anyone knew if I would be entitled to any funding based on this situation. I have previously completed a level 8 course in 2010, but it was only 3 years long. I'm going into another level 8 course which is 4 years long. Would I be entitled to anything for the 4th year considering my last course didn't have a fourth year?

Thanks for any info:)

You would not be entitled to any further funding for a course of the same level or any level less than a qualification achieved.
    You must progress to a course at a higher level (post graduate) to be eligible for further funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭JayIre

*SUSI question

-B4. Evidence of residence in Ireland, the EU/EEU or Switzerland for 3 of the last 5 years.

Would a bank statement for 2012, 2013, 2014 cover me on this?

• Advertisement

JayIre wrote: »
    *SUSI question

-B4. Evidence of residence in Ireland, the EU/EEU or Switzerland for 3 of the last 5 years.

Would a bank statement for 2012, 2013, 2014 cover me on this?

As long as the statements clearly show transactions in the state.
    This could be making a purchase in a store.
    Online transactions would not count.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hi just looking at somethings here and need help, I am hoping to get my college fees paid but I have no idea where I apply to do this? can anyone shed some light?

Also as I'm a mature student I am applying for BTE, on the form it says I will be asked to provide confirmation from the admissions office that I am registered as a full time student but as far as I can tell I won't be registered till september? Do I just apply and supply evidence later or am I missing something?

Hi just looking at somethings here and need help, I am hoping to get my college fees paid but I have no idea where I apply to do this? can anyone shed some light?

Also as I'm a mature student I am applying for BTE, on the form it says I will be asked to provide confirmation from the admissions office that I am registered as a full time student but as far as I can tell I won't be registered till september? Do I just apply and supply evidence later or am I missing something?

Apply to susi for your fees and yes, you must apply for the BTEA before the starte date of the course. The information about BTEA is on the CitizensInformation.ie website

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭kissmequick

How do Students do it?! Am considering going back to College, but how is it do-able?! I remember being in College before years ago, and most modules required a Text-book, some 2, and these were all in the region of €40-60 each :eek: I really think it would be a struggle to afford Books this time around, but I guess millions of Students manage it some way.....?!? :/

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭baron von something

How do Students do it?! Am considering going back to College, but how is it do-able?! I remember being in College before years ago, and most modules required a Text-book, some 2, and these were all in the region of €40-60 each :eek: I really think it would be a struggle to afford Books this time around, but I guess millions of Students manage it some way.....?!? :/

I was thinking the exact same thing. One way is to keep borrowing the books out from the college library

Hard enough to pay for everything and keep all sides running and am sure there are hidden costs too through-out the year that we'll have to come up with too, but the books are bloody expensive if memory serves me correctly! Probably even dearer now too as time goes on and there's a fair few Modules to get through! Might not even use the bloody things, some Lecturers might work solely off Slides but I'd still like to get any books that's required just to have them to refer to if needs be.

Wasn't there a "Book-Grant" to cover Materials and Books etc. at the start of every year, it was originally €500 then got reduced to €300, I'm not actually sure if it still exists but if it did it would really be so much of a big help that would take care of any / hopefully most of any books that one would need to get anyway. It would be such a great help if it was still in operation..... Don't know if it came with the Grant side-of-things or if it came with Back to Education Allowance can't recall which.....

Well I guess Students all over manage to cope with any costs involved with College so I guess it must be do-able someway! :D

That was the BTEA cost of education allowance. It was €500 then €300 now its gone completely.

I got most of my masters reading list second hand on Amazon. About ten books for just under €100 including postage. It helped that the versions recommended by the lecturers in many cases were older and not the updated ones. The newer the version the more expensive it is.

Cost of Education Allowance that's what it was called. So that's gone yeah. Ah feic. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Juvia

I'm just posting this here for anyone interested.

NUI Maynooth University Certificate in Science Level 6 Full Time 1 year duration.

The application date closing has been moved to the 14th of August.

Mature student only (you need to be 22 minimum when applying), it also falls under the BTEA scheme.

You need to be educated at Junior Certificate level (or its equivalent).

If I can post link i'll do it or ask me by PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭XDivaX

Hi, anyone know if I would be able to.avail of the fund for disabled students if I do a course with Open University?

Advertisement