Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How much wi-fi speed should my 2014 Macbook Air be able to handle?

• 04-03-2015 3:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Now, this is something I have very little doubt about, but, I've been having problems with my UPC broadband, mainly with very low speeds. The absolute most I've been able to get over wi-fi is 60mbps, and that's sitting 10 feet from the router with it in plain view. I'm paying for 240mbps, so I feel this is falling way short of what I'm supposed to get. I've tested it on my iPhone and a Samsung Galaxy Tablet as well, both got similar speeds.

I'd imagine my Macbook would have the best wireless card out of these 3. I called customer services, and they're insisting that my laptop is only capable of 60mbps and that's why the speeds are so slow compared to what they're supposed to be, I also loaned my aunt's laptop to test it via ethernet(newer Macbook Airs have no ethernet port), I got 100mbps on that, and they insisted that laptop is only capable of 100mbps over a wired connection. I don't believe any of this, as I have definitely gotten 120mbps over a wireless connection before with much cheaper and older devices, and I've gotten 140 in the past via a wired connection with my old PC which was build in 2007, and I'd definitely imagine a practically brand new Macbook Air is capable of more than 60mbps over wifi, especially considering the lack of an ethernet port.

They are currently refusing to do anything unless I can prove it's not a problem with my devices and at least one of them is capable of reaching a higher speed. Does anyone know the maximum speed of the wireless card in a 2014 Macbook Air? And could anyone link me to proof of that if it's possible? I've already searched Google but am unable to find it, I understand I'm not going to get the 240mbps I'm paying for, especially not over wireless, but I figure it should definitely be over 100mbps, even on wireless, especially when I'm sitting 10 feet away in clear view of the router.

I don't feel the need to post in the UPC forum as I've already phoned in, and intend to phone in again once I have proof that it's their problem and not mine. Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Its their modem. They won't fix it. No ISP will.

If you want faster wifi you need to spend €100+ on a decent router/wireless AP. C7 or N66U are good choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Theoretically the MacBook Air is capable of almost 850Mbps when connected via 801.11ac.

Press the Option key and click the Airport logo beside the clock in the Finder. This will tell you the connection method currently in use. So you will see either 801.11G - 801.11N or 801.11AC. 801.11AC is a 5GHz technology so your AP has to support it.

The menus should look like this.

Even using AC your speed is dependent on the proximity to the Wifi Access Point. Have a read of this.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 9,400 ✭✭✭TheChizler

UPC only guarantee their service ending up at their modem. Anything past that you're basically going to go either wired (not with a MBA!) or get your own access point. In the meantime you could try turning off all devices that use your wireless connection when testing the MBA, any older technology will reduce the wireless speeds for all devices to that of the slowest device.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

The laptop you borrowed may have only had a fast ethernet card which would limit wired speed to 100mbps.

Also you can buy a usb to ethernet adapater for the Macbook Air. Increasingly common now because so many laptops are coming without ethernet.

Advertisement