Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

engenius 202 and wireless networking

• 01-03-2015 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭

hi all,

anyone familiar with engenius products for wireless networking, specifically engenius ENS202, specifically this http://www.irishwireless.net/ens202

Long story short, I have two of these one located in kitchen and wired directly to laptop and another in a shed 200m away attached to an IP camera.

I have them setup as follows (see pdf attached for details)

Kitchen is setup as Access Point
    Shed is setup as Client Bridge

I set them up that way as per Pg 5 here http://www.engeniustech.com.sg/files/Learn_How_to_Configure_EnGenius_WiFi_Products.pdf this is what is recommended

however even though their is clear line of sight the connection keeps breaking, I cannot figure it out,

anyone got any ideas ?

for those of you who hopefully are reading this and would install other brands of product rather than engenius how would you rig up such transmitters ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

aidanki wrote: »
    hi all,

anyone familiar with engenius products for wireless networking, specifically engenius ENS202, specifically this http://www.irishwireless.net/ens202

Long story short, I have two of these one located in kitchen and wired directly to laptop and another in a shed 200m away attached to an IP camera.

I have them setup as follows (see pdf attached for details)

Kitchen is setup as Access Point
    Shed is setup as Client Bridge

I set them up that way as per Pg 5 here http://www.engeniustech.com.sg/files/Learn_How_to_Configure_EnGenius_WiFi_Products.pdf this is what is recommended

however even though their is clear line of sight the connection keeps breaking, I cannot figure it out,

anyone got any ideas ?

for those of you who hopefully are reading this and would install other brands of product rather than engenius how would you rig up such transmitters ?

What channel? Try another. Get inssider for your laptop and see what channels are in use nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭aidanki

What channel? Try another. Get inssider for your laptop and see what channels are in use nearby.

I have the engenius set on channel 6, no other network nearby, we live in middle of country

I have the engenius set on channel 6, no other network nearby, we live in middle of country

Try another channel anyway. What level is the signal and noise?

@mass_debater have you used engenius equipment before and have you found it to be of good quality?

if you have used it before what mode would you setup the 202s in for my application

@mass_debater have you used engenius equipment before and have you found it to be of good quality?

if you have used it before what mode would you setup the 202s in for my application

Yes I have used them, ap and client bridge is the way to set them up so they will behave exactly like a cable. You have these mounted externally right? With clear line of sight? What is the signal reading in decibels, lower is better? What is the floor noise reading, higher is better, over 100 is perfect. You need at least 20-30db difference between signal and noise to have a decent margin to transmit on.

• Advertisement

Yes I have used them, ap and client bridge is the way to set them up so they will behave exactly like a cable. You have these mounted externally right? With clear line of sight? What is the signal reading in decibels, lower is better? What is the floor noise reading, higher is better, over 100 is perfect. You need at least 20-30db difference between signal and noise to have a decent margin to transmit on.

ok -50dB is a better signal than -30dB ?

hmmm,, not sure on those figures, what piece of software do I need to figure that out ?, the inssider that you mentioned in your first post?
    inssider seems to do dB (as per youtube videos) not sure on the floor noise, what is that measured in ?

the one at the shed is external, the one at the house is inside the kitchen window, but yes clear line of sight, no trees etc, both transmitters are facing each other. Engenius transmitters are 200m apart. They should be well capable of 200m ?

hmmm,, not sure on those figures, what piece of software do I need to figure that out ?, the inssider that you mentioned in your first post?

the one at the shed is external, the one at the house is inside the kitchen window, but yes clear line of sight

Clear line of sight means without glass, without anything in the way, glass is made from metallic sand. Those figures will be on both but I'm not familiar with the layout of the firmware GUI, the AP will have it somewhere under registered wireless devices, the client bridge will have it somewhere under status or wireless, hunt about

the floor noise, how do I measure that ?

the floor noise, how do I measure that ?

Does it not give you a reading on the status page on the one set to station? It may be different, I dont have a set at hand, it may be a signal to noise margin or ratio. Post a screenshot. signal is only half the info, need to know how much interference is on the channel you selected (noise). For signal lower db is better (35-50db is perfect), for noise higher is better (over 100db is perfect but anything over 80 with a strong signal is fine), the difference between them is what you've got to work with to send your data (margin), you need a good margin

see powerpoint attached,

Some more info

• Advertisement

see powerpoint attached,

Some more info

Your signal isn't great and it's slightly noisy, signal is 70db, lower is better, need to be closer to 50 to have a decent margin. Did you move the first to outside the glass so both have clear line of sight? You should easily do better than that over 200m, I would expect 50db should be possible. Also, have a try of a few other channels see can you find one that gives a noise level of over 100 improving your margin

Your signal isn't great and it's slightly noisy, signal is 70db, lower is better, need to be closer to 50 to have a decent margin. Did you move the first to outside the glass so both have clear line of sight? You should easily do better than that over 200m, I would expect 50db should be possible. Also, have a try of a few other channels see can you find one that gives a noise level of over 100 improving your margin

going to try outside window later on today, is there anything else that I can adjust in the settings that may help ?

no wireless router involved in any of those screenshots from last night, wired directly back to laptop from the engenius

going to try outside window later on today, is there anything else that I can adjust in the settings that may help ?

Nope, just improve the signal

Nope, just improve the signal

tried outside the window earlier on

noise remains at 95, however signal improves from 70dB to 55dB.

whats a good signal Im inclined to think that 55 is still poor enough ?

tried outside the window earlier on

noise remains at 95, however signal improves from 70dB to 55dB.

whats a good signal Im inclined to think that 55 is still poor enough ?

Thats lots better, every increase of 3dBm is equivalent to doubling the power of the signal. It's probably as good as you can expect at 200m with the small antennas they contain

ok I spent some time at this today and Im happy that when I have my engenius outside the window and wired back to PC that everything is ok

however when I plug the engenius into the router I cannot get it to work.....

I have a static ip on the router 192.168.1.5
    The subnet is 255.255.255.0 which is the same as both of the engenius

btw per INNSIDER when router is powerup connection between laptop and router is -30 so its pretty good

and remember Im not using the internet here, its all inTRANET

anyone any idea what do I need to do in the router

do I need to go and open ports like is mentioned here, remember Im not using internet
    http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D8636-4/PS3_6GUN_II.htm

only other thing I can think of is SSIDs, the engenius are called "Engenius 1" and "Engenius 2" and the router is called "house yard"

INSSIDER is seeing both, Im thinking if everything was correct I should have everything under the one name

Sound like either a wireless problem in the laptop or a problem with the router. What make router? Have you tried another?

You don't need to open ports, a firewall only blocks from the internet, all lan traffic is unaffected

its a belkin same as in this video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoasB6xWi7I

see the way he sets up the port for the camera here @ 8mins

should I need to do that as its something I haven't done

its a belkin same as in this video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MoasB6xWi7I

see the way he sets up the port for the camera here @ 8mins

should I need to do that as its something I haven't done

Belkin are a terrible POS router. I've only had bad experiences with them.

In the video he's opening ports in the firewall, you do this to access from outside your lan from the internet so when a packet arrives at your router on a certain port your router knows what internal device ip to send it to. No need when it's only lan as lan traffic packet switches through the router and does not get firewalled.

Belkin are a terrible POS router. I've only had bad experiences with them.

In the video he's opening ports in the firewall, you do this to access from outside your lan from the internet so when a packet arrives at your router on a certain port your router knows what internal device ip to send it to. No need when it's only lan as lan traffic packet switches through the router and does not get firewalled.

so you think it should work just by plugging and playing..........i.e. plug the engenius into the router and should be good to go ?

one thing I have a static IP address setup on the computer but don't have a static IP address on the wireless card, should I have one ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement