Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Connect 2 APs to Control Bandwidth Usage?

• 30-01-2015 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

Hi all,

I access Vodafone fibre broadband via a HG658C gateway/AP. Several other PCs/devices use the HG658C for Internet access via WiFi.

I wish to limit the bandwidth some of these devices get, to prevent hogging. You'll probably know that by default on the HG658C's the features allowing this are locked and not exposed by the web interface; I understand there are ways of unlocking these features, but I'd much rather not mess with the HG658C firmware or with tweaking the interface.

Instead what I'm looking to do is use an old LinkSys wrt54gs v5.1, in conjunction with the HG658C, to hopefully to achieve the same effect.... i.e. configure the LinkSys to implement the bandwidth limiting effect.

I'm familiar with setting up and configuring single router/access points, but not sure how to get two of them to talk.

Can anybody help me out on how to do this? Mainly in terms of

1) physical connections between the 2 boxes..
    2) web interface configuration to get them talking..
    3) configurations required to limit specific wifi clients bandwidth...

Many thanks,
    Cathal

Advertisement