Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iphone Link speed

• 25-02-2015 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭

Can someone explain why my Iphone 6 is limited to 65Mbps link speed? My router can do 300Mbps. Although I don't expect that.

Also when I check my laptop in windows-Network connection and click on my wifi card my speed is 72Mbps

Yet on my router. It is showing up as 130Mbps.

So just to clarify. I have a wireless N setup. Looking at the wireless setting on my router. My laptop is 130 Mbps and my Iphone is 65Mbps. They fluctuate a bit. But that seems to be the max.
    But then when I check the speed on my laptop. It is showing up as 72 Mbps

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Did you update that router? Google tells me it's draft "n" from 2007 which means it was released before "n" was ratified. It should support all the features of "n" but most likely needs updates. To get the best speeds from modern devices you'll need to upgrade to something dual band.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Yes I have kept it up to date. It's not Dual band. Just 2.4GHz
    I think it's more got to do with the iPhone than the router. Just don't know why. Hard to find online. Only think I could find. Was that the iPhone only has one antenna. Might be that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It may be it, You'll prob need to move to 5Ghz to get any faster

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Of all of apples devices the latest two generations of iPads have the best wlan chips I've found, they get great throughput on all APs.

Link speed means little, effective rates can vary HUGELY from the reported link speed. Just like RSSI its a bit of a best guess. Trust the speeds you get, not the speeds it reports.

In any case, time to get on 5Ghz unless you live in the middle nowhere, 2.4 is pretty swamped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Yeh but it never goes over 65. That should be at least some indication of the speed I am getting. Im sure my Iphone should be capable of more?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Yeh but it never goes over 65. That should be at least some indication of the speed I am getting. Im sure my Iphone should be capable of more?

Nah, thats a good result for that setup. An iphone has absolutely no use case for more bandwidth.

Advertisement