Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Really weird wi-fi issue

Options
  • 03-01-2015 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm having a very very strange issue with my w-fi. When I start up my laptop (lenovo yoga 2) Chrome works away fine and loads websites no problem. After a few minutes despite the icon showing full connection, I lose connectivity. When I run the troubleshooter I get the problem "The remote device or resource won't accept the connection." No problem, so I looked up how to resolve this and it says uncheck "Automatically detect settings" in the "LAN settings menu" - no joy. I tried updating my drivers - again no joy. What's really weird is that my work laptop and phones connect fine to my wi-fi network. My yoga also works fine with my vodafone dongle and wireless at my folks' house too. It just seems to be my UPC connection in my own house that's causing the issue. I haven't made any changes to either my UPC subscription or to my laptop's internet settings.

Please help :o

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you tried connecting the laptop to your upc router by ethernet?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

Yoga 2 has no Ethernet port.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

You could buy or maybe borrow a usb to ethernet adapter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Did you update the wireless driver? You'll find the latest on the manufacturers website

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I have the same with an asus t100, yet to find a resolution.

Assume you are with Horizon?

• Advertisement

Did you update the wireless driver? You'll find the latest on the manufacturers website

Yep. Tried updating it using the windows updater and the intel updater. Both say they successfully installed the new driver however when I check the driver is from 09/2013 and I know from the intel site the most recent is from 10/2014.

Really annoying.

Yep I'm on Horizon. Interesting that you're having the same issue.

Worked fine there for about 30 minutes and now just gone again. ARGH!!!

Yes, its really really irritating.

Does it work best when there is noone else connected/after a reboot?

No reason like that to it whatsoever. Upc haven't been able to sort it.

Had the same issue with my sister's box at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭miezekatze

We have the same issue with upc horizon, wish we'd never got it.

• Advertisement

Did you raise it with Horizon?

I had one day of it working perfectly and then back to the above! ts very frustrating!

Tempted to jump to Windows 10 in the off chance that works!

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Diggerdunne

have u tried giving the laptop a static ip?

Advertisement