Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Better equipment for the Gardai

123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

shakin wrote: »
    no but wouldnt it defend the car in a pursuit a bit better?

How? Bull bars only protect the front of the vehicle, and at the same time are extremely dangerous for pedestrians. There's other ways of making a car safe without bolting big bits of metal onto the outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

anyone that drives a patrol car is taking a needless risk with their careers and thats a fact!

Cars not suitable for prisoners, no additional protection against collisions and no protection in law concerning lights, sirens and responding to an emergency!

Try go out on some of the bikes we have then! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭Satan Polaroid

Musashi wrote: »
    I hope this has helped dome Garda out there, the LED Lenser is a decent light, but as always there's a lot better out there for small money. Mate of mine is up in Templemore, guess what I'm getting him a present of ;)

What? Which should I buy? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

cushtac wrote: »
    How? Bull bars only protect the front of the vehicle, and at the same time are extremely dangerous for pedestrians. There's other ways of making a car safe without bolting big bits of metal onto the outside.

sorry rather than bullbars i meant-
    Push Bumper (aka Nudge Bars) - Fitted to the chassis of the car and located to augment the front bumper, to allow the car to be used as a battering ram, or to push other vehicles off the road.

or is this not garda practice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_71&products_id=195

If you've got a Maglite already, the terralux LED is a good upgrade to get. Otherwise I'd be going for the Fenix with it's cheap batteries and options. You can use it to do paperwork without blinding yourself, or turn it up to check back gardens and alleyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

That version of the l2d is a bit dated. You might want to go for the Q5 model instead.
    https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_65&products_id=362

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭Musashi

Ideally I'd like that same build quality and switching option using the Rebel LED emitters, or a HID unit at that size and price point :) For the price, any of the Fenix 2AA are good choices. If you prefer a pocket carryable one, any of the Fenix single AA are good, as are the ORB RAW and various of the Inova range.

I gewt great use from upgraded mini mags, as they are so cheap to run. Whatever ye do, don't buy your CR123 batteries here, unless made of cash. 7dayshop.com do great prices on batteries, including rechargeables. Most lights don't work well with rechargeable batteries, do check if your light will be ok. Exploding CR123s are dirty yokes, very toxic!

For some hand held rechargeable spotlights built on Maglite chassis see http://www.blackbearflashlights.com/

He has a useful review of various lights (against his own) here. http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33286

They are pricey, but given that you will not buy batteries again it may be a worthwhile investment? Depends on how much use you will get from a torch, but it is another option. These things go over 1000 lumens, that's a lot of light! :eek:

The only thing I've seen that could be more fun are HID lights (High Intensity Discharge, like a camera flash, but stays on) or a hand held arc lamp which is hot enough to cook a dog!

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/article.html?in_article_id=98480&in_page_id=34

was passing fitzgibbon st garda station yesterday when i saw 2 unmarked cars they had, a toyota corolla and a ford fiesta. then i go home and watch the news about the garda ombudsman and it shows them with top of the range volvo estates and toyota landcruisers!

mad!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭ojewriej

, a toyota corolla and a ford fiesta. then i go home and watch the news about the garda ombudsman and it shows them with top of the range volvo estates and toyota landcruisers!
    mad!

Ford fiesta? Really?

And what about ombudsman getting an Army Helicopter to get to the scene of the accident involving an off - duty Garda. That was a bit mad. And over the top one might say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Read in the local pages yesterday that the first RSU pilot scheme startsin in Limerick....in July!Good news,it should free up the ERU!

• Advertisement

ojewriej wrote: »
    Ford fiesta? Really?

And what about ombudsman getting an Army Helicopter to get to the scene of the accident involving an off - duty Garda. That was a bit mad. And over the top one might say.

ya really

i didnt hear about the helicopter, thats a disgrace, that must have costb a couple of thousand and for what?

eroo wrote: »
    Read in the local pages yesterday that the first RSU pilot scheme startsin in Limerick....in July!Good news,it should free up the ERU!

will it? are they going to be performing srmed patrols or are they just going to be a reaction force?
    as i understand it now eru have a proactive role in limerick whilst the rsu will be reactive???

will it? are they going to be performing srmed patrols or are they just going to be a reaction force?
    as i understand it now eru have a proactive role in limerick whilst the rsu will be reactive???

No,they will be mounting armed patrols just like ERU.AFAIK,the ERU will be withdrawn once the RSU gets on its feet.RSU's will be much more visible than ERU,I mean check the new cars there supposedly using with unmarked 4x4's!

It is about time though!The RSU will be like having a permanent ERU presence so that can't be bad,and it will be made up of,''by and large'',local Gardai.

No,they will be mounting armed patrols just like ERU.AFAIK,the ERU will be withdrawn once the RSU gets on its feet.RSU's will be much more visible than ERU,I mean check the new cars there supposedly using with unmarked 4x4's!

It is about time though!The RSU will be like having a permanent ERU presence so that can't be bad,and it will be made up of,''by and large'',local Gardai.
    but i thought they were regular members on standby? any info about their equipment?

but i thought they were regular members on standby? any info about their equipment?

Well I can't be 100% sure but I think they will be in marked cars,el a little bit different*,and will have weapons on them like ARV's in UK i.e.sidearms in holsters and sub-machinegun(s) in safe(s)*.Their tactical equipment will be back at station*,at least that is what AGSI were complaining about?

Equipment will be much the same as ERU AFAIK.*

*All of this was taken from info by local media over recent months,so I could be horribly,horribly mistaken!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

ojewriej wrote: »
    Ford fiesta? Really?

ya really

i didnt hear about the helicopter, thats a disgrace, that must have costb a couple of thousand and for what?

I would imagine that the nearest available GSOC investigator was probably a good distance away from the crash scene but would need to get there quickly. It did occur on probably Ireland's busiest motorway which would have been shut down (south-bound anyway) until the scene investigation was complete.

I'm sure the decision to fly in the investigator would have come from the very top and had a very good reason too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Eru

TheNog wrote: »
    I'm sure the decision to fly in the investigator would have come from the very top and had a very good reason too.

Just like storming into an inquest at the end of the evidence and demanding it cease over a complaint made AFTER the legal time limit :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

Well I can't be 100% sure but I think they will be in marked cars,el a little bit different*,and will have weapons on them like ARV's in UK i.e.sidearms in holsters and sub-machinegun(s) in safe(s)*.Their tactical equipment will be back at station*,at least that is what AGSI were complaining about?

Equipment will be much the same as ERU AFAIK.*

*All of this was taken from info by local media over recent months,so I could be horribly,horribly mistaken!:o

Sounds good,there supposed to be trained on a same level to the ERU and given same equipment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭metman

From what I've heard the RSUs will not be performing the role of a 'permanent ERU' in places like Limerick. Instead it will be a mobile unit with an armed capability to turn out to jobs where firearms are required. They will not be routinely armed, for obvious reasons, and will return to base to change into tactical uniform and arm. As with the UK's early ARVs, who initially stored all their weapons in the gunship's safe and had to seek permission to arm, I imagine the RSU will evolve in a similar fashion so that patrols in urban areas wind up as routinely armed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

metman wrote: »
    . They will not be routinely armed, for obvious reasons, and will return to base to change into tactical uniform and arm.

The weapons & uniform will be carried in the vehicles, there'll be no need to return to the station.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

These units are formed on foot of the "Kathleen O' Toole report". Their primary function is to be a first response to a barricaded incident pending the arrival of ERU.

As the Limerick RSU's are the "Pilot Project" it will be down to the people in the units and managing them to report problems and suggest remedies.
    When the review of this project is taking place it is vital that all involved give an open and honest assesment before it's rolled out nationwide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭the locust

It sounds like it'll be the same as the UK's early ARVs (like metman said), who initially stored all their weapons (MP7's) and firearm jackets in the boot of the car in a safe and have to seek permission to arm i.e. get a pin code off a cigre. The RSU Volvo pictured a few pages back - Can be remotely turned off! If the Super is unhappy with a chase, or if it was stolen etc... There is a lot of control measures for this unit! Which of course has its pros and cons, which hopefully will be ironed out in a year or two.

Advertisement