Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feel very depressed when I see what religion causes

• 08-09-2014 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi does anyone else feel really depressed when they see is being done to people in the name of religion?. I'm referring primarily to Islam, floggings for playing domino's in Indonesia, rape by 8 men and flogging for being suspected of having an affair, Iranian actress to be flogged, possibly for being kissed on the cheek. It just seems savage and like a war against women.

Read today that only humans believe in supernatural beings that they have never seen. So much for intelligence.

People in these countries are not allowed to question, not allowed to express their own opinion, beaten or killed if they dare to question , never mind express atheistic views.

The lights have gone out on a lot of the world. Will not see them lit again in my life time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Yeah it's disgusting alright the root of all evil and the world would be a far better place without it

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

I'm going to depress you a little further so and point out that's not all solely down to religion. Humanity's history is littered with unethical actions. We've been a horribly violent, superstitious and repressive species.

The thing that cheers me up is that humans today are in general nowhere near as violent or repressive as the past. The lights are only finally turning on in this world. Still got a lot more light to switch on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,615 ✭✭✭✭J C

Turtwig wrote: »
    I'm going to depress you a little further so and point out that's not all solely down to religion. Humanity's history is littered with unethical actions. We've been a horribly violent, superstitious and repressive species.

The thing that cheers me up is that humans today are in general nowhere near as violent or repressive as the past. The lights are only finally turning on in this world. Still got a lot more light to switch on though.
    I agree with every word you have just said.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I would argue it is less to do with religion than people who are morally bankrupt, yet use religion as the excuse/rationale/reason/whatever.

For sure, religion is backwards and, as Marx said, an opium for the masses. But at the same time, the most basic, basic, tenet of most religions (when you get past absolutely everything else), is basically to be a good person and be kind to everyone. Basically, that is it.

But, of course, the Bible/Koran/Torah/whatever is longer than that sentence. There is a lot of other stuff there that is wide open to interpretation, manipulation and abuse. There are so many stories in those religious texts that contradict each other and give different meanings and so on. It is just phenomenal.

Also, when people take those texts literally, you are running into problems. Serious problems. Because there are passages in those texts that advocate violence. The Koran has sections that advocate the spread of Islam across the world at the point of a sword. The Bible advocates slavery and genocide in the Old Testament. The Torah is essentially the Old Testament, so same goes.

But the fact of the matter is, I know Catholics who are very great and decent people. I know Muslims who are sound out. A couple of American Jewish guys went to university with me (though, in fairness, they were about as Jewish in practice as a ham sandwich [an item they had for lunch a lot, so go figure]). The point? Of the majority of people I know who are adherents to certain religions, most of them do not let it impact greatly upon their own lives or the lives of anyone else.

For sure, there are fanatics everywhere who will use religion as a flag of convenience to justify their actions. Would the world be better off without religion? For sure it would. But is religion the sole cause of all evil and bad? No, the human condition and human nature causes some of the worst grotesqueries in history. Religion can be the main reason put forward, but it takes a particularly warped and twisted individual (or group) to actually initiate a Crusade or a Jihad. Normal people, while perhaps being part of the same tapestry as the fanatics, generally do not engage in such murderous blood-letting.

The other issue apart form violence would also be the holding back of progress and the stifling of scientific advancement (usually to the detriment of mankind). This is an accusation that can be much more fairly levelled at religion, in my opinion. Because even the nicest, most peaceful and kind adherents of a religion may decide to oppose abortion/gay-rights/science in a peaceful way (or in a more damaging way; at the ballot box) simply because their religion tells them to.

This holding back of progress is also usually very insidious and does not attract as much attention as the violent acts.

Basically, I'm rambling... but I think that to solely blame religion is a bit short-sighted.

The old saying:

I like God... it's his fan club I'm not too keen on.

is very apt here.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

J C wrote: »
    I agree with every word you have just said.:cool:

For a bit of unfettered optimism, I recommend two books 'Better angels of our nature' by Stephen Pinker
    and Abundance by Peter Diamandis

Religious extremism is a tough nut to crack, but it tends to rely on closed repressive regimes who indoctrinate young people with propaganda and withhold information about other world views.

With the rapid spread of internet access, it is going to get harder and harder for extremist regimes (and parents) to control all of the information available to their children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

DazMarz wrote: »
    I would argue it is less to do with religion than people who are morally bankrupt, yet use religion as the excuse/rationale/reason/whatever.

For sure, religion is backwards and, as Marx said, an opium for the masses. But at the same time, the most basic, basic, tenet of most religions (when you get past absolutely everything else), is basically to be a good person and be kind to everyone. Basically, that is it.

But, of course, the Bible/Koran/Torah/whatever is longer than that sentence. There is a lot of other stuff there that is wide open to interpretation, manipulation and abuse. There are so many stories in those religious texts that contradict each other and give different meanings and so on. It is just phenomenal.

Also, when people take those texts literally, you are running into problems. Serious problems. Because there are passages in those texts that advocate violence. The Koran has sections that advocate the spread of Islam across the world at the point of a sword. The Bible advocates slavery and genocide in the Old Testament. The Torah is essentially the Old Testament, so same goes.

But the fact of the matter is, I know Catholics who are very great and decent people. I know Muslims who are sound out. A couple of American Jewish guys went to university with me (though, in fairness, they were about as Jewish in practice as a ham sandwich [an item they had for lunch a lot, so go figure]). The point? Of the majority of people I know who are adherents to certain religions, most of them do not let it impact greatly upon their own lives or the lives of anyone else.

For sure, there are fanatics everywhere who will use religion as a flag of convenience to justify their actions. Would the world be better off without religion? For sure it would. But is religion the sole cause of all evil and bad? No, the human condition and human nature causes some of the worst grotesqueries in history. Religion can be the main reason put forward, but it takes a particularly warped and twisted individual (or group) to actually initiate a Crusade or a Jihad. Normal people, while perhaps being part of the same tapestry as the fanatics, generally do not engage in such murderous blood-letting.

The other issue apart form violence would also be the holding back of progress and the stifling of scientific advancement (usually to the detriment of mankind). This is an accusation that can be much more fairly levelled at religion, in my opinion. Because even the nicest, most peaceful and kind adherents of a religion may decide to oppose abortion/gay-rights/science in a peaceful way (or in a more damaging way; at the ballot box) simply because their religion tells them to.

This holding back of progress is also usually very insidious and does not attract as much attention as the violent acts.

Basically, I'm rambling... but I think that to solely blame religion is a bit short-sighted.

The old saying:

I like God... it's his fan club I'm not too keen on.

is very apt here.

I like the Stephen Weinberg quote
    Religion is an insult to human dignity. With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Take the most hated family in america, the Westboro Baptist Church. A lot of that family were fundamentally decent people who have since left the church, but for a long time, their mind was poisoned by being constantly told that they had to behave and think a certain way or else they would spend eternity in hell.

Since the RC church's influence has collapsed in Ireland, the country has become a much much more tolerant place. People's genetics haven't changed, only the dominance of a theocratic ideology that demanded adherence to the repressive mysogynistic homophobic catholic ethos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

I feel a bit despairing when i see so many women in hijab,all based on the words of a 6th century Arab, i feel despair not so much at the covering of hair,some of the scarves look faintly pretty,but the world view which this symbolises....i fear for civil liberties in the future.....
    Akrasia wrote: »
    I like the Stephen Weinberg quote

Take the most hated family in america, the Westboro Baptist Church. A lot of that family were fundamentally decent people who have since left the church, but for a long time, their mind was poisoned by being constantly told that they had to behave and think a certain way or else they would spend eternity in hell.

Since the RC church's influence has collapsed in Ireland, the country has become a much much more tolerant place. People's genetics haven't changed, only the dominance of a theocratic ideology that demanded adherence to the repressive mysogynistic homophobic catholic ethos.

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

DazMarz wrote: »
    But at the same time, the most basic, basic, tenet of most religions (when you get past absolutely everything else), is basically to be a good person and be kind to everyone. Basically, that is it.

No it isn't. The most basic tenet of most religions is that there is an afterlife where the select (and only the select) can party for eternity.

That's the problem right there. People who believe that this life is just a rehearsal for the next one will get up to all kinds of mischief.

Personally I think that atheists are the only people who are fit to govern.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

What if the atheist is supremely superstitious, an ardent of follower of eugenics, homophobic, sexist, and believes homoepathy is the most the effective form of medicine; the rest should be outlawed?

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭Hoagy

What if the atheist is supremely superstitious, an ardent of follower of eugenics, homophobic, sexist, and believes homoepathy is the most the effective form of medicine; the rest should be outlawed?

Picky.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Obviously not, because atheism does not describe a group like minded people. In fact it says nothing about the commonality of people other than they don't believe in god. You might as well suggest we should ban the colour blue if someone wearing a blue t-shirt commits an unspeakable act.

Atheism isn't analogous to a religion in any way.

Hoagy wrote: »

Yet if you were to make a list of people who have done a good job governing in the past, you'd find religion well represented. Similarly, if you were to look ar evil despots through history, atheists would be in the mix there too.

Personally I think secularist governance works well, but you can and do have ardent secularists with religious leanings.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Yeah it's disgusting alright the root of all evil and the world would be a far better place without it

Man is the root of all evil. Ideology, religion, power and so gives this 'evil' its own different color.

They don't have a great track record themselves either.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Spirogyra wrote: »
    Read today that only humans believe in supernatural beings that they have never seen. So much for intelligence.
    I think weasels might believe in supernatural beings that they have never seen. And they're reasonably bright.

How does anyone know that only humans believe in supernatural beings that they have never seen?
    jank wrote: »
    Man is the root of all evil. Ideology, religion, power and so gives this 'evil' its own different color.
    A bit of genocide might do us a world of good then?

Absolam wrote: »

A bit of genocide might do us a world of good then?

Possibly, if you are a believer in population control.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Don't worry The awakening is coming

The Oriental mystery cults are dying

In the near future the awakening will occur.
    An event when Atheism, education, science, logic and rationality reaches a critical mass of the humanoid population and these cults collapse rapidly into a morbid dying heap.

The Awakening is the theoretical emergence of a 99% Atheist society through Rational means. Since the capabilities of such rationality would be difficult for an unaided human mind to comprehend, the Awakening is seen as an occurrence beyond which events cannot be predicted.

Proponents of the Awakening typically state that an "Atheist explosion", where logic designs successive generations of increasingly powerful minds, might occur very quickly and might not stop until the Atheist's cognitive abilities greatly surpass that of any god.

The unknown future rolls toward us, the rational awakening of the population has only just started where it leads is a matter of futurology and could turn in multiple directions depending on the undermined variables of technological change and environmental degradation and demographic collapse.

Just imagine, Temples to mother-earth(earth labs) in every community where
    awakened enlightened free humanoid volunteers come together to engage in environmental education and activism and worship environmental scientific atheism in order to establish a sustainable environmental for man and nature on the Earth planet.

This is the future.

"Rocky mountain high .... Colorado"

Solar temple in northern Germany
    BrIuwGdCYAAewzB.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

(..................)

This crap again?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

They don't have a great track record themselves either.
    Been over this many, many times.

Religions tend to enjoy and support cult-based, authoritarian or totalitarian, polities, as have all of the "atheists" you're referring to.

"Atheist" government, on the other hand, specifically in the sense of a fully secular, fully liberal democractic system with an educated, liberal citizenry, is the most peaceful, co-operative form of large-scale societal organization the world has ever known.

The distinction is important and does deserve to be understood rather than ignored and used a silly debating tactic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

robindch wrote: »

Religions tend to enjoy and support cult-based, authoritarian or totalitarian, polities, as have all of the "atheists" you're referring to.

"Atheist" government, on the other hand, specifically in the sense of a fully secular, fully liberal democractic system with an educated, liberal citizenry, is the most peaceful, co-operative form of large-scale societal organization the world has ever known.

Atheist government does not = secular government

As state atheism clearly demonstrates

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism

Religion, Science, ideologies, any of these can be used for good or bad, that's in the hands of the user.

True secularism, respects both atheism and theism equally. A point often buried and hidden by anti-theists.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

that sounds more like state anti-theism rather than state atheism. someone should reformulate the term.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

An event when Atheism, education, science, logic and rationality reaches a critical mass of the humanoid population and these cults collapse rapidly into a morbid dying heap.
    Will it chafe? It sounds like it will chafe. We should get lube.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭EunanMac

that sounds more like state anti-theism rather than state atheism. someone should reformulate the term.

Anti-theism is often cloaked as mere atheism, to the detriment of genuinely secular atheists and theists.

robindch wrote: »

The distinction is important and does deserve to be understood rather than ignored and used a silly debating tactic.

I don't think the term atheist equates to secular, and most certainly does not imply liberal or democratic. The fact I'm an atheist says nothing about my politics, nor does it say anything about the politics of a government made up entirely of atheists.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Man is the root of all evil.

I think what you mean to say is man is the creator of the belief of what evil is or is not, we are certainly not the root of all evil.

You could technically call what a cat does to birds evil, a cat goes out into the world and hunts down birds more often then not to just simply play with their corpses and to enjoy the thrill of the hunt.

I'm sure if a bird could form the view they'd see cats as pretty damn evil, hunting their kind for sport.

The very idea of what constitutes what evil is is a human creation and its subject to change in our society...for example witches were evil however now we know they are not...as they don't exist, the same can be said for the devil.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Unre4L

Surely agnosticism and ignosticism are more rational than athemism and theism?
    With an awakening like this, there should be second awakening too...

And the premise of this article is ignorant. Humans never had any problems killing each other, with or without religion. Religion is just a supplement.
    When an Hamas militant in Gaza shouts God is Great before launching a missile, only imbeciles would think that he is doing this for religions sake. Politics, money, resources are rarely far away.

Im become depressed when people strive to find the most simple explanations for complex matters. Thats what really keeps this **** going on and on.

Brb, sending my tax money to liberate Middle East with bombs because they hate my freedom, and surely this is not part of the problem at all...

And the premise of this article is ignorant. Humans never had any problems killing each other, with or without religion. Religion is just a supplement.
    When an Hamas militant in Gaza shouts God is Great before launching a missile, only imbeciles would think that he is doing this for religions sake. Politics, money, resources are rarely far away.

I become depressed when people strive to find the most simple explanations for complex matters. Thats what really keeps this **** going on and on.

Brb, sending my tax money to liberate Middle East with bombs because they hate my freedom, and surely this is not part of the problem at all...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think religion has been an important and integral part of human evolution and the development of knowledge and larger social groups.

Religion evolved with us and has been pretty instrumental in some pretty major breakthroughs and events in human evolution. Some people think farming lead to civilization but others think that religion and being attached to religious sites had just as much to do with humans settling in one spot and coming up with new ways of feeding themselves. So it could be said religion lead to farming, civilization and everything that comes with civilization.

At it's most basic religion was about remembering the dead and honoring their memory, but it also allowed separated groups to have shared culture through their gods, making trade easier. It started the debate on questions like "where do we come from?", "why are we here?" and the realisation that everything in nature is connected in some sort of relationship.

Ancient gods tend to be kings and the way some civilisations could be vastly different in their technological abilities in ancient times it probably seemed logical that there was other people in charge making things work.

Even though our current batch of religions seem bad, compared to the religions that came before them their pretty good natured.

I think we've outgrown religion as a species but I appreciate what we got out of it and that it was instrumental in our evolution as a self aware animal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,854 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

ScumLord wrote: »
    Some people think farming lead to civilization but others think that religion and being attached to religious sites had just as much to do with humans settling in one spot and coming up with new ways of feeding themselves. So it could be said religion lead to farming, civilization and everything that comes with civilization.

Could just as easily be said that the ability to live off one area led to the attachment to particular sites which later became religiously significant. It could well be that in some cases A led to B but in others B led to A. Australian aboriginal societies were nomadic but nonetheless attached to cultural and religious sites - still are.
    Even though our current batch of religions seem bad, compared to the religions that came before them their pretty good natured.

One of our current batch of religions brought us the murderous conquest of Latin America, the Crusades, and the Spanish Inquisition. A few adherents of another seem hell-bent on creating their own modern equivalents.
    I think we've outgrown religion as a species but I appreciate what we got out of it and that it was instrumental in our evolution as a self aware animal.

I wouldn't be at all convinced, it is like saying that I like chicken and I like eggs, but I've no idea which came first.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement