Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whats your setup?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭iba

snaps wrote: »
    How I hate to read these posts as it makes me want to re do and do more with my setup! So many times I go to the shed, pick up my motor and hesitate to mount it back up (Ive 3 receivers using my fixed dish set up, so can all watch different sats at the same time), But i could just motorize the Living room DM800 and be done with it (But really im only missing out on a handfull of sats like 7 east, 5 east and the western sats past 1 west).

A couple of questions:
    How are you splitting your feeds in the attic? Are you using a multi switch? Is the motorized dish feeding a seperate receiver? Whats the signal on your 26 east like (Fixed 88 dish)? I would have thought 26 east on a 88cm dish would be very marginal?

Also re 33 east onwards, they do start to get lower to the horizon past 33 east, Ive next doors house blocking 33 east onwards. Ive only succesfully got 39/42east when ive fitted a dish with just a field in the line of sight! Even 30 west for me is fairly high up and that can be got with a 60 cm dish with no major problems.

Ill be up in the attic later and Ill take a pic then, but I dont think its a multi-switch; its some sort of splitter I picked up in Egypt.

Motorised dish is feeding the sitting room only (Ariva 250)

26E - Signal Strength is 90% and Quality around 65% on MBC (Ariva 120). BTW STB also has 26 on a 88 dish.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭red bellied

E36CED59-CD8F-42AB-91DA-67B4BFAB4DFF-1917-00000073E231D6C2_zpse216b7f5.jpg

5A76A63B-F03B-4CC3-8A55-C9578E2DDE11-1917-0000007412D761E3_zps5ab13dc1.jpg

Nothing compared to the setups on here but thought I would post anyway. Replaced my old sky dish with a 1.1 metre triax dish.

Used the quad lnb from the old sky dish to connect to a dreambox clone in kitchen, ariva ferguson 150 in bedroom and vu solo2 in sitting room (one tuner) all on 28.e. A diseqc switch then feeds the 3 lnbs to 13.e, 19, 28.e to the second tuner on the vu solo2. I have also Saorview running to 3 tvs in the house as well.

Got all my gear from the Russian lad on Sat Planet and he installed the dish as well all for a very reasonable price.

If it wasn't for this forum I would probably still be using sky, so thanks to everyone on here, the satellite and terrestrial forum for all their informative posts.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

When you get a chance its a good idea to put some silicone on the cable entry hole to stop insects and water getting in.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

Snaps,

Sorry about the month delay in getting this pic to you - but anyway better late than never. Pic of attic set up.

The red splitter thing feeeds a Sat feed into each of the three upstairs bedrooms and likewise the Terrestrial Aerial also feeds into each o the bedrooms.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

You've probably already noticed, but that splitter won't allow independent selection of all available satellite channels in each bedroom.

• Advertisement

Peter Rhea wrote: »
    You've probably already noticed, but that splitter won't allow independent selection of all available satellite channels in each bedroom.

You mean if I have BBC1 on in one bedroom, Ill have to have BBC1 on in the other Bedroom?

Not that simple.

4 lnb sub-bands? And the added complication of the DiSEqC switch in your own setup?

Not that simple.

4 lnb sub-bands? And the added complication of the DiSEqC switch in your own setup?

Yes, I have 5 LNBs going into a Diseqc Switch.

What type would you recommend instead then please

If you're only using 1 tuner at a time, then I suppose there isn't really anything wrong with the splitter, apart from signal losses.

If you want everything selectable on all tuners at the same time, you will need either a DiSEqC switch for each tuner, or a multiswitch with inputs for multiple satellite positions. Most I've seen on a single switch is 4 positions (17-in switch: 16 sat. inputs & 1 terrestrial).

If you're only using 1 tuner at a time, then I suppose there isn't really anything wrong with the splitter, apart from signal losses.

If you want everything selectable on all tuners at the same time, you will need either a DiSEqC switch for each tuner, or a multiswitch with inputs for multiple satellite positions. Most I've seen on a single switch is 4 positions (17-in switch: 16 sat. inputs & 1 terrestrial).

Would something like this work:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Konig-LNB-3X4-3-4-Multiswitch/dp/B001IRV6PW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371839927&sr=8-1&keywords=multiswitch

or this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIAX-TMS510-SPLITTER-FOR-MULTIPLE-MULTISWITCH-SATELLITE-DISTRIBUTION-/221242083772?pt=UK_Sound_Vision_Satellite_Multiswitchers&hash=item33830e49bc

• Advertisement

Google '17-in multiswitch' if you want to see examples of what I'm referring to.

It's basically something that combines the lnb band/polarity switching & the DiSEqC function into 1 unit.

Since you don't seem to have been aware of the existence of the 4 different band/polarity combos output by the lnb, I think you'd be better off brushing up on the basics before getting into anything more complicated than what you already have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Most I've seen on a single switch is 4 positions (17-in switch: 16 sat. inputs & 1 terrestrial).

Here's a 33-in: http://www.emp-centauri.cz/products.php?id_kateg=5&id_pkateg=15&id=75

They also do 21, 25 & 29-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

The simplest way, quad output lnbs on the dish, then the same feeds to each receiver via its own diseqc switch setup. so say 3 receivers you need to work independent of each other, a run of cable to a diseqc switch, then run cables to each lnb. Do exactly the same for the other 2 receivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

On a non motorised 88cm triax dish in Cork how many satellites could i potentially receive?
    tks

kooga wrote: »
    On a non motorised 88cm triax dish in Cork how many satellites could i potentially receive?
    tks

I would say at least 4, namely 28, 23, 19 and 13 or 28, 23, 19 and 16 or 28, 23, 16 and 13 - or you might be able to get 5

• Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

tks

With the same dish in Limerick I get 4.8e,(swap with 7e when I like)9e, 10e, 13e, 16e, 19.2e, 23.5e, and 28.2e.
    Asking what you can get is the wrong way to approach setting up your dish.
    More important is what satellites you want or need and then plan your setup accordingly.
    Deciding what you "need" is vital on a multi lnb setup as you need to know what the weakest Sat you plan to receive is.
    As you will need that weakest sat at or near prime and prime focus pretty much decides what spread you can then receive.
    Plan for reception on a TD88 of 12 degrees either side.(you can push this out but as general rule it stands)
    So if you have 16 as prime you should be able to cover from 7e thru to 28.2e easily enough.
    Changing prime will change your receivable spread so plan accordingly.

Thanks Banie01

Had emailed my installer re getting an 88cm dish to put on 9/10, 13, 16 and 23. Want to get a subscription on 13. He knows I have two existing 60cm dishes one at 19 and one at 28 and he mentioned putting them on the 88cm with the new additions. I was thinking that might be overload hence putting out the question.

It would be the preferred option with one possible two dishes rather than three dishes on the house.

Thanks Banie01

Had emailed my installer re getting an 88cm dish to put on 9/10, 13, 16 and 23. Want to get a subscription on 13. He knows I have two existing 60cm dishes one at 19 and one at 28 and he mentioned putting them on the 88cm with the new additions. I was thinking that might be overload hence putting out the question.

It would be the preferred option with one possible two dishes rather than three dishes on the house.

Well your installer seems to know what he's at and in fairness a 1 dish solution is very doable and a hell of a lot neater ;)
    Good luck with the install!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 foxyboy

Wooo, can you spell these sats out ? is that 9e on left and 28.2e on right ?
    Hows the 9e lnb staying on ? Why not slide the rail down to 28.2E and give yourself a little more room ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

foxyboy wrote: »
    Hows the 9e lnb staying on ? Why not slide the rail down to 28.2E and give yourself a little more room ?

I have a similar setup (without the 16E as I dont use ALPS).

If you are behind the dish 28.2 is on the extreme right, 9E would be near extreme left.

You can get 4.8 to 28.2 with the Triax Bracket. What people are doing is they are redrilling the Triax bracket so that you leave enough room for one or two lnbs on the left and the rest on the right. You can then position your arm around 7/8 degrees East as the nearest centre ones are the weakest. 28.2 at the end of the bracket works perfectly as the satellite is so strong even at such a mad offset.

Examples

19E 23E //26E 28E 39E

248641.jpg

13E 19E 23E //26E 28E

248642.jpg

28.2E/23.5E/19E//13E/9&10E/4.8E
    237258.jpg

• Advertisement

foxyboy wrote: »

STB has given you a fairly comprehensive answer there.
    The LNBs on my setup are 4.8e,(swap with 7e when I like)9e/10e, 13e, 16e, 19.2e, 23.5e, and 28.2e.
    The reason the bar is off centre is because with a dish aligned correctly for 16e in Ireland there is often not enough space or height left on the bar without modification to receive 28.2e reliably.
    The usual workaround for this is to turn the triax multibar upside down(gaining a few, but a very importartant few mm's in height) and redrilling the bar @50mm to left to allow great reach and height to allow perfect reception of 28.2e.
    As for whats holding the LNB at 4.8e (Not 9e) Cableties and a little spacer to keep it aligned.

Going to be very brave here and upload my set up given that a few months ago I knew zero about satellites but through this forum and people willing to share knowledge and give advice I have many too thank.

Also looking for bit more advice

existing 60cm dish with with 28 quad lnb for two combo boxes, French TNTSat box and sky hd box (setanta pack sub)

80cm dish with quad sky lnb on 19.2 for above and single lnb for hotbird.

Having a look at other set ups i'm wondering could I get the following on the 80cm looking from L-R 23.5, 19.2, 16, 13 and given the proximity of 9/10 would one lnb get them both. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

You will have no problem with 23.5 on left of arm looing at dish.

In order to get 19/16/13 you will have to do banie's trick (like noikz mod on AVforums, below) with ALPS type LNBS as there is not enough space otherwise - too tight.

63892d1192203539-multi-lnb-set-up-hotbird-13e-astra-28e-cyfra-sky-uk-triax_20dbracket_mod.jpg

Why do you want 16E ? There is nothing on it.

9E and 10E are same position. Again there is nothing of real interest on those Satellites. 7E is good for links.

STB wrote: »
    You will have no problem with 23.5 on left of arm looing at dish.

In order to get 19/16/13 you will have to do banie's trick (like noikz mod on AVforums, below) with ALPS type LNBS as there is not enough space otherwise - too tight.

63892d1192203539-multi-lnb-set-up-hotbird-13e-astra-28e-cyfra-sky-uk-triax_20dbracket_mod.jpg

9E and 10E are same position. Again there is nothing of real interest on those Satellites. 7E is good for links.

STB thanks for the info

so on your advice just to fill out my bracket I should go for 23e and 7e

STB wrote: »

Have to agree with STB here, I added 9/10e and set 16e as prime on my dish when I set my dish up a few years ago as there was a lot of football available on 16e and it was a very cheap Sub and I really wanted to see what I could push the dish to do ;)
    9e/10e is good for some specific stuff particularly Russian and German(Unless you have a BFBS card, which are rare as hens teeth!)
    Best advice is to decide what you actually need to receive(packages) then plan your setup around what reception is most important to you

banie01 wrote: »
    Have to agree with STB here, I added 9/10e and set 16e as prime on my dish when I set my dish up a few years ago as there was a lot of football available on 16e and it was a very cheap Sub and I really wanted to see what I could push the dish to do ;)
    9e/10e is good for some specific stuff particularly Russian and German(Unless you have a BFBS card, which are rare as hens teeth!)
    Best advice is to decide what you actually need to receive(packages) then plan your setup around what reception is most important to you

Tks guys

On reviewing what i have installed i just now have one spare lnb input on my outdoor disecq so will put up just the one additional LNB.....so open to suggestions.

Haven't thought of any tv packages in particular.

re 9/10 would a single lnb catch them both?

Tks

Tks guys

On reviewing what i have installed i just now have one spare lnb input on my outdoor disecq so will put up just the one additional LNB.....so open to suggestions.

Haven't thought of any tv packages in particular.

re 9/10 would a single lnb catch them both?

Tks

Yes a single LNB

iba wrote: »
    Yes a single LNB
    9/10 it is. SOLD

Guys

am I correct in saying that the best install for a triax bracket on an 80cm dish is upside down as per the images above.

• Advertisement

Guys

am I correct in saying that the best install for a triax bracket on an 80cm dish is upside down as per the images above.

hello? anybody there?

Advertisement