Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dead Celebs

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I hate the arguement that we shouldn't grieve for dead celebs because thousands of people die every day. Bull****!!!!!!!!

The average Joe Ryan from Wexford has no impact on my life whatsoever and odds are I won't care if he died.

Public figures are different. We all knew Gerry Ryan and Steven Gately so they deserve to receive R.I.P threads.

There is no ****ing comparisons.

Nah.
    Micheal Jackson maybe. He affected everyone that has listened to music, and has changed music forever. Stephen Gately? I only found out his name when he died! Stephen Gately didn't affect anyone more that said Joe Ryan. Nor did Gerry Ryan! What did Gerry Ryan do to deserve all this? Nothing... people listened to him in the car or in the morning when getting their children ready for school: that was the height of it!
    No one knew him except the few people that actually knew him. Everyone else knew of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Well thank God for all the people telling me what to think about these issues.
    Without them I wouldn't be able to lace up my shoes in the morning.

Wave two fingers at 'em and get yourself a pair of flip-flops.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

Morkarleth wrote: »
    I'm curious to hear from those who maintain "either everything is fair game or nothing is". Will they continue to restrict this to their hated group coughmuslimscough, or will they follow their own argument?

Everything is fair game, deciding not to make jokes about the Muslim religion is more to do with self-preservation than making excuses for them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Seachmall wrote: »
    Everything is fair game, deciding not to make jokes about the Muslim religion is more to do with self-preservation than making excuses for them.

Can you elaborate on this, brother?

old hippy wrote: »

Fundamentalist Muslims tend to be lacking in the humour department, I'm sure I don't need to point to examples.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

But there are people who make jokes about Muslims, in general, and their defence is "either everything is fair game or nothing is"; or they otherwise object to others kowtowing.

I am eager to see if they're the same people criticising others for making jokes about Gerry Ryan. Surely, following their logic, they should be defending these people.

Fundamentalist Muslims tend to be lacking in the humour department, I'm sure I don't need to point to examples.

Ah, fundies. Sorry, I apologise - I thought you were inferring that all Muslims were humourless beings :D

Tbh, there's humourless fundies in Christianity, too. Fred Phelps, Christian Voice, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, abortion clinic bombers etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Nah.
    Micheal Jackson maybe. He affected everyone that has listened to music, and has changed music forever. Stephen Gately? I only found out his name when he died! Stephen Gately didn't affect anyone more that said Joe Ryan. Nor did Gerry Ryan! What did Gerry Ryan do to deserve all this? Nothing... people listened to him in the car or in the morning when getting their children ready for school: that was the height of it!
    No one knew him except the few people that actually knew him. Everyone else knew of him.

Agreed about Gately tbh. Sickened me to see him on the nominations list of Irelands Greatest People.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,068 ✭✭✭Bodhisopha

What do you do with a fundamentalist dog? Muslim (muzzle him).

HA!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

OutlawPete wrote: »
    Can anyone explain to me why some people feel the need to post sick jokes and make nasty comments about a person on the day that they die?

Because the majority of people are not capable of coming up with genuinely amusing jokes about day to day things, so they seize on things like this as an easy way to get a reaction.

However, when one combines genuine wit with something which is taboo, doesn't have to be joking about death it can be paedophilia or anything, there is where the real laughs are had.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I've never seen so much blatant hypocrisy on these boards as I have in the last day or 2.

I was chastised recently for criticising the amount of posters who were making jokes about a young girl who was murdered and then eaten. Of 4 pages, fully half the posts were puns and jokes.

In fact it was mentioned to me also, that the Air France thread had jokes about that incident.

Yet!!!

One celebrity dies and its a united front of grief?

Thats the real joke.

Ah, fundies. Sorry, I apologise - I thought you were inferring that all Muslims were humourless beings :D

Tbh, there's humourless fundies in Christianity, too. Fred Phelps, Christian Voice, Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, abortion clinic bombers etc...

That's true, but they tend to ignore the senseless jokes and focus their idiocy on the gay community or abortionists. I wouldn't expect to receive a letter-bomb from Phelps for saying Jesus was a gay hippy. He'd probably just set up camp outside my door and wait for God to smite me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭twinQuins

Bodhisopha wrote: »
    What do you do with a fundamentalist dog? Muslim (muzzle him).

For future reference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Desmond ???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Everyone moaning on this thread should just go out tonight, have a few drinks, be glad they're still alive and stop going on about the whole thing.

If people want to start condolences threads, let them. It annoys the hell out of me too but I just don't open them unless I feel I can handle it without going on a posting rampage.

By moaning about the moaners you're no better. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭drusk

What did Gerry Ryan do to deserve all this? Nothing... people listened to him in the car or in the morning when getting their children ready for school: that was the height of it!

Open your eyes. Read some of the posts on here. Read the papers. Look at the comments on twitter and facebook. Open your eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I think it is a shock really, when Michael Jackson died I was surprised but not really because I felt something emotional towards him because I thought he would be around forever! When you look up to people for a long time, you find inspiration from them and enjoy there work it is an upset when they die because you're not going to be able to experience that anymore. I use to love listening to Gerry Ryan's radio show when I was in the car I looked forward to it on the mornings I knew there was a trip ahead because he was really funny and I feel a bit put out that I won't here it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

Pocketfizz wrote: »
    I thought he would be around forever!

I think thats it actually. That sort of describes the reaction I think most people have to these deaths. It's certainly the way I feel. You do sort of get a bit of a shock because you never imagine these figures not being around.

Also for me, when public figures start to drop off, it's a real sign that I'm ageing myself!!

Desmond ???

Mom?

Advertisement