Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rust repair

• 11-05-2013 5:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭

There's a small spot of rust on one of the doors of my car, just under the window. It looks like someone tried to repair it some time ago. However, it's a bit of a bodge job and looks like the rust is winning the battle.

How much would a body shop charge to fix this? I'd like to get it sorted sooner rather than later when the rust has spread further.

akbw49.jpg

2iutgsi.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

I have experienced similiar and would recommend you get a good replacement door. (preferably in the same colour) It looks like the rust has gone through (I can see a wee hole, I think!) and this would need to be cut out with a replacement piece welded in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭kkelly77

I have experienced similiar and would recommend you get a good replacement door. (preferably in the same colour) It looks like the rust has gone through (I can see a wee hole, I think!) and this would need to be cut out with a replacement piece welded in.

I take it a door would be cheaper than the repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

kkelly77 wrote: »
    I take it a door would be cheaper than the repair?

Is it an Almera?

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    Is it an Almera?[/QUOTE

Primera

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

Is it an Almera?[/QUOTE

Primera

It's a Common problem in old Nissans. That rust is coming trough from the inside out so no amount of paint on the effected area in the pic will stop the rust. It will have to be sorted from behind and at this stage the effected area will probably have to be cut out and a new piece welded in.

You could also get a door in a breakers, just make sure you get a good one or you will be back to square one.

• Advertisement

It's a Common problem in old Nissans. That rust is coming trough from the inside out so no amount of paint on the effected area in the pic will stop the rust. It will have to be sorted from behind and at this stage the effected area will probably have to be cut out and a new piece welded in.

You could also get a door in a breakers, just make sure you get a good one or you will be back to square one.

Dammit!

The hardest part is getting a door to colour match or having to get it sprayed will only add to the cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Just keep an eye out for one in the correct colour and snap it up when you can! It would help to have your paint code if you're trying to source one.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

As said there is no way to get that back to original without professional assistance. Do get a a pro to have a look, it could be as low as 100/150 or so to fix.

Advertisement