Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peats Re-Opening Sale

• 28-04-2012 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭GobBass

Anyone snag anything? I was in Longford at the time of sale. The website described the sale as "VERY SPECIAL"

But was it?

Details,people! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't know but I'm going in to them during the week to buy something just to support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

Respect OP !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Canonfan

I was there, most items between 10% and 20% off.

I saw a Sony DSLR A77 for 959euro, normally 1159euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,757 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Chuffed to see them re-opening..

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭uberalles

Hear play. His did they manage to re open? Did they renegotiate rents? Which ones reopened, only parnell st ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭irishjay

ID SAY IT WAS VERY HARD WITH THAT UK MAPLINS AROUND THE CORNER .. i support them as much as i can . and a lot of irish lads i knew that worked there
    i wish the very best the 2nd time around ..

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭creativedrinker

uberalles wrote: »
    Hear play. His did they manage to re open? Did they renegotiate rents? Which ones reopened, only parnell st ?

Rathmines store reopened and parallel and swords pavilions stores to follow(they might be opened now)

I read on a site that the owner of the rathmines building and Parnell st building are family friends and are givin them rent free for a year to get back on their feet,

Fair play to them for doing that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

If only a week earlier....
    Had to get components for a college project, was forced to go to maplins, a switch that cost 30 odd cent in peats a few weeks previous cost 2.95 in maplins and other stuff were a rip off too. Great to see them back open :)

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭CaSCaDe711

Great to know Peats are going to stick around.

Maplins? Some A lot of their prices are ridiculous :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭brophs

I must drop in during the week and pick up a hard drive, provided they aren't charging silly money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Briain O Loinsigh

Everyone I spoke to about peats closing had been in there over the years ,anything from a hard drive to radio valves. It's brilliant that they're back open ,hopefully they can make the most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,161 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    If only a week earlier....
    Had to get components for a college project, was forced to go to maplins, a switch that cost 30 odd cent in peats a few weeks previous cost 2.95 in maplins and other stuff were a rip off too. Great to see them back open :)

Sometimes they're better than maplin, but sometimes they're wayyyyy worse. It really depends on the component in question.

That said, maplin staff = c##ts, peats staff = sound.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

Judging by the queue they had outside on saturday morning, I would say people are glad to see the shop reopened

2u72144.jpg

Hopefully they will learn from their mistakes and introduce some realistic price to compete with the online market

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Does anyone remember the old shop on parnell street? (think it was across from the new shop) it was chaos walking in there... cluttered and boxes/stock everywhere... but everyone of those lads knew where every component was.

Delighted they are reopening... and like earlier said on here... i think peats just lost the run of itself when they opened the new stores and prices on a lot of items went up with the celtic tiger.

Remember your roots peats.... price and customer service is everything... not shiny showrooms and mad prices.

Will be calling in to buy and support them when next in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Whoever was the Marketer for this shop deserve a reward!

What a clever way to drum up support and business for the company.

Absolute class act!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

I remember buying my commodore 64 games in peats back in the day and they had one of their female staff on the den discussing computer games...she was a looker too.
    Hope they emerge from this a stronger, leaner business.

I remember Peats selling a DVD player to an old couple and then charging them 50 pounds to have it unlocked to play american movies. I was disgusted with them after that.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭millymash12

Bought me first sega came in there - street fighter 2 turbo - 60 pounds!!! - all my communion money can still remember the day - my first and last time in there sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭thethingis

sweetie wrote: »
    I remember buying my commodore 64 games in peats back in the day and they had one of their female staff on the den discussing computer games...she was a looker too.
    Hope they emerge from this a stronger, leaner business.

Oh yeah, going for bust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭longhalloween

darconio wrote: »
    Judging by the queue they had outside on saturday morning, I would say people are glad to see the shop reopened

I wonder how many people bought something or were just there for a look and some nostalgia...

Whoever was the Marketer for this shop deserve a reward!

What a clever way to drum up support and business for the company.

Absolute class act!

Probably the same marketer Bewleys had a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭positron

Saw the 'special sale' ads for 52" Sony priced around 3k, down from 5.6k or something silly like that. Based on that alone, I don't know if they have changed much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RayCon

I remember Peats selling a DVD player to an old couple and then charging them 50 pounds to have it unlocked to play american movies. I was disgusted with them after that.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭eoinf

RayCon wrote: »
    :(

Myabe it was a hardware mod. the chip alone cost £20-30.

it was the going rate at the time.

Don't judge.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

darconio wrote: »
    introduce some realistic price to compete with the online market
    You mean not have stock that you can pick up there and then, but have everything super cheap in 2-3 days time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭viking

eoinf wrote: »

Don't judge.

Yeah, richersounds on the South Quays were charging something similar too at the time.

eoinf wrote: »

Don't judge.

No it wasnt , it would take 5 minutes. I beat myself up for not telling the couple.

This just in:

Business tries to make profit by providing services for money.

Sacramento wrote: »
    This just in:

Business tries to make profit by providing services for money.

charging 50 pounds to change settings on a DVD player so this old couple could play DVD's from the US. A service they didnt even ask for. Its not offering a service, its taking advantage.

Lets hope things have changed and they do better.

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭tigershould

no bargain alert to see here people, move along...

plenty of support for 'irish company' making a profit and creating 'irish jobs' though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭sk282

I just bought Samsung XE700T1A-A01UK and there was an additional 10% off in store. That brings the price down to €1079.10 which is about €100 cheaper than any site I could find online. Plus there is Samsung Vat Back offer so you can get a good bargain and support them at the same time. Full list of the products included in the Samsung Promo and T&Cs are here.

Advertisement