Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin bus route 11 :(

• 17-10-2007 4:00pm
    Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone noticed some ridiculous delays on this route in the evenings?

Just yesterday I had an 80 minute wait in Clonskeagh to get one home from work, and another time in the last week I had a 65 minute wait for one. Could have walked to town in less time :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

This is probably due to the absolutely crazy traffic jams caused by the Sandyford Road being one-way outbound from the Wyckham Way Junction to Blackthorn Drive.

Everything that moves around Sandyford is stuck in solid traffic!

Bad news is that the diversions are to last a year!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

You should walk up to Donnybrook Church and get a 46A or 10 from there.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

penexpers wrote: »
    You should walk up to Donnybrook Church and get a 46A or 10 from there.

Thats what I used to do when I worked up there.

Them delays have been on going for a long time

There are three words that explain the ongoing delays and they are "Sandyford Industrial Estate".

This has been a nightmare zone for buses and general traffic and has now got far worse with the diversions caused by the Sandyford Road works.

The only other suggestion I would have is that if you can get either an 11A or 11B they should be pretty much on time.

Inbound times:
    11A (From Mather Road North): 1815
    11B (From Belfield via Bird Avenue): 1705 / 1750 / 1810 / 1845

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

This is the worse service I know of. It's not that frequent by timetable and what's worse is that it rarely runs to timetable thus making it unreliable. It's a service that you're almost always guarenteed to be waiting at least 20minutes to half an hour for...

• Advertisement

Slice wrote: »
    This is the worse service I know of. It's not that frequent by timetable and what's worse is that it rarely runs to timetable thus making it unreliable. It's a service that you're almost always guarenteed to be waiting at least 20minutes to half an hour for...

Au contraire the 11 does operate to timetables, but it has to operate through some of the worst traffic snarl-ups in Dublin, which make the timetable impossible. It is not the timetable per se that is at fault and causing unreliability.

For example, both of the following can destroy even the best laid timetable
    1) Sandyford Industrial Estate
    2) O'Connell Street Southbound in the evening peak

The football match last night caused absolute havoc, and the amount of buses forced to work to city centre only on cross-city routes to try and get buses/drivers back to where they should be was unreal.

Maybe Alek Smart can enlighten us as to how a typical day as a driver on the 11 route is going at the moment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 538 ✭✭✭SickCert

The Mon-Fri timetable goes back to 2000, Sat and Sunday mid 90's. Some of the places this service goes through really does it no favours.
    Many buses turned halfway (only going to CC) from North and South.
    Glad im off it, since 2005!
    Alek shall enlighten you later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

Au contraire the 11 does operate to timetables, but it has to operate through some of the worst traffic snarl-ups in Dublin, which make the timetable impossible. It is not the timetable per se that is at fault and causing unreliability.

That is a contradiction in terms - if the timetable doesn't account for heavy traffic then it's not fit for purpose and a new timetable needs to be produced that reflects the increased congestion in the city centre. Granted it's not possible to account for games in Croke Park but under all other circumstances there shouldn't be a problem.

Slice wrote: »
    That is a contradiction in terms - if the timetable doesn't account for heavy traffic then it's not fit for purpose and a new timetable needs to be produced that reflects the increased congestion in the city centre. Granted it's not possible to account for games in Croke Park but under all other circumstances there shouldn't be a problem.

The point I was making is that the disruption is not uniform. On some days the timetable DOES work, but there are occasions that a bus can take 30 minutes to travel along O'Connell Street. No timetable could possibly take account of that.

As SickCert says, I think Alek being on the ground can give the best view as he drives that route daily.

Advertisement