Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Charity wristbands- where are they now

Options
  • 26-09-2007 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭

Does anyone else remember this from about 3 years ago, people wearing these stupid rubber charity wristbands? Fair enough, the heart was in the right place, and I bought 2 or 3 of them myself, but bollocks if i was actually going to wear any. I even remember seeing an article saying that the bands had developed as a language of peoples availability- i dunno, 2 yellows and a green meant you were single, a single band meant you were taken, 2 greens and a yellow meant you were single but not looking right now, i dunno whole load of sh1te.

So admit it, did you wear them? And why did you stop wearing them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

I got one for Live 8 and I wore it a few times :o

Then I lost it and that was that LOL

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The latest fad which went by the wayside. Remenber reading the **** about availability but christ thats the last way the women i know would go about looking for some fun

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

They're on Kate McCann's wrist now, that's where they've gone! :D Maybe we should tell her she's a bit behind the times? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

they thankfully dissapeared, a guy in my year still has a yellow one, but i suspect he just cant get it off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Never heard of a language thing but I went in to give blood a few months ago and they gave me a red one (even though I was turned down because my blood was too cool for them). Lance Armstrong ones were all the rage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Fad wrote:
    they thankfully dissapeared, a guy in my year still has a yellow one, but i suspect he just cant get it off

What an appropriate username for this thread :D

Speaking of what you are saying, a lad in work walked by me in maybe Feb 2006 wearing a "dont mention that festival, you know, the one boards dont fcuk wit no more" wristband that they give you upon entry, it looked awful wragged and dirty but having worn one myself the prev summer i recognised it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Ah yes, I had Nike's Anti racism one "Stand up, Speak up" It was a black band conjoined with a white band. It was such a fad alright.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nike-Anti-Racism-Stand-Up-Speak-Up-wristband-bracelet_W0QQitemZ260162878873QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10992QQcmdZViewItem

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

heard of the language behind them but tbh teenagers will make something out of nothing all the time.

i thought the things looked silly, but i brought in good bit of money for the respective charities that wouldn't have come in otherwise.

i didn't wear any of them, i'm happy with giving money to charity when i can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

they've been bought out by the multi-nationals.

At least someone admits it :D

Id a Temple St kids hospital one and a cancer charity one, never wore them just got them for throwin 2 euro to the cause. Mate of mine who would normally steer clear of such things wore the cancer one as his mother died from it a few years ago now, i can certainly respect that but for the vast majority...ack....i give a resounding MEH to it all.

The anti racism ones were the first i ever heard of. While its a good venture i have to wonder where all the millions directed at anti racism in football went (a problem which, in the English game at least, has all but disappeared since the late 80s via banning orders)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Tha Gopher wrote:
    What an appropriate username for this thread :D

Speaking of what you are saying, a lad in work walked by me in maybe Feb 2006 wearing a "dont mention that festival, you know, the one boards dont fcuk wit no more" wristband that they give you upon entry, it looked awful wragged and dirty but having worn one myself the prev summer i recognised it.

how creuly ironic, i really need to change that (if only i could/knew how)

(after thought, WHY DIDNT I PICK FADE)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

have the white "make poverty history" one, still wear it

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,826 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

they were cool when they were charitable and then pound shops had them for non charitable organisations and everykid had like 12 on each arm. Then they were seen as uncool! bingo! the coolness of them was gone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

creggy wrote:
    Ah yes, I had Nike's Anti racism one "Stand up, Speak up" It was a black band conjoined with a white band. It was such a fad alright.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nike-Anti-Racism-Stand-Up-Speak-Up-wristband-bracelet_W0QQitemZ260162878873QQihZ016QQcategoryZ10992QQcmdZViewItem

And no yellow? Humph.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

Ruu wrote:
    (even though I was turned down because my blood was too cool for them).
    OMg....

RUU HAS AIDS!! :eek: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

I still wear my make poverty history one too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

rb_ie wrote:
    OMg....

RUU HAS AIDS!

:D
    Nah..the mad cow ban thingy. My blood isn't good enough for Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

they were nothing but a fashion fad

tut tut :(

they were cool when they were charitable and then pound shops had them for non charitable organisations and everykid had like 12 on each arm. Then they were seen as uncool! bingo! the coolness of them was gone.

Aye i recall reports about conterfeit ones being made and no money going to charity (in fairness, its alot easier to make a replica of a rubber band with a production cost of about 2 cent than it is to create near perfect knock off Nike and Reebok tops and runners)

Never mind that, im no fashion expert but the amount of birds you see in nightclubs in dolce and gabanna tops that are as fake as Jordans tits is unreal :p

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Wossack

Ruu wrote:
    Never heard of a language thing but I went in to give blood a few months ago and they gave me a red one (even though I was turned down because my blood was too cool for them). Lance Armstrong ones were all the rage.

blood was too cool? like, um.. coldblooded? how often do you lick your lips? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

The sheep have swapped them for those stupid ribbon bumper stickers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Wertz wrote:
    The sheep have swapped them for those stupid ribbon bumper stickers.

only women in small hatchbacks have them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,623 ✭✭✭dame

boreds wrote:
    only women in small hatchbacks have them.

Yeah and next time you drive behind one check it out....they always put the pink one on the right and the blue one on the left! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tha Gopher wrote:
    Does anyone else remember this from about 3 years ago, people wearing these stupid rubber charity wristbands? Fair enough, the heart was in the right place, and I bought 2 or 3 of them myself, but bollocks if i was actually going to wear any. I even remember seeing an article saying that the bands had developed as a language of peoples availability- i dunno, 2 yellows and a green meant you were single, a single band meant you were taken, 2 greens and a yellow meant you were single but not looking right now, i dunno whole load of sh1te.

So admit it, did you wear them? And why did you stop wearing them?
    I'm not sure most people's hearts were in the right place... It seemed more like a trend than an act of charity to me. I'm sure it served a good purpose, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭Dord

Ah I remember those, I had one that said "Drink Strong" :D

Emmmm, I still have mine and still wear it. It's a Lance Armstrong yellow one that i got about 2.5 / 3 years ago. I bought 10, took one for myself and gae the rest away to various male friends and relatives. I actually forgot how long i had it, 'til i saw a few pics recently of people's going away do's in work who left aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaages ago, and i'm wearing it then. I think i've taken it off only once or twice in all that time.

I didn't, and still don't, wear it as a fashion statement. The whole point of them was to raise awareness for testicular cancer, n'est pas?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

The last one I had was a transparent one for the "Make Wrist-bands History" campaign.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭Brian017

Still wear my 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,561 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Still wearing my original yellow livestrong one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Nehpets

Never bought or wore any

Advertisement