Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gabba: expensive luxury or a great jacket worth the money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭ericzeking

Eric the exact same thing happened to me with the Dutch site. I had mailed them for a week asking for delivery updates and when they finally responded they offered me a short sleeve version or the opportunity to pay a lot more extra for a convertible.
    I was able to point out that his offer was ripping me off. He was not aware that Dutch people pay more for the same jerseys that we do. (something to do with VAT possibly).
    However, to cut a long story short, after much to-ing and fro-ing I told him that he could give me the convertible as a replacement for the long sleeve and no extra payment or just to cancel my order completely.

This guy is getting a convertible gabba. :-)

I would just hold my ground with them and take no sh1t. What do you have to lose? Regardless of what happens you'll still get a refund

Good to know...he can give me a convertible too so!

Maybe I'll forfeit a pair of arm warmers for his trouble!

ericzeking wrote: »
    Sent back the gabba from Ribble and ordered from the Dutchies...after a week or 2 with no word, I sent 2 emails and got a reply saying they are all out of gabbas...my order was confirmed and paid for by card, they offered me a (not similar) Sportful alternative... I declined this and asked if they would fulfil the rest of my order (2*arm warmers) without me getting g caught for shipping...waiting on response. Chain reaction, it is not!

Anyone with any other good prices for a ss gabba? 170 bucks is the best I can find in my size...

After some more toing and froing, Dutch Mike has said they will just give me a full refund.

Pottering around the net last night, I found shortsleeved gabbas on Merlin for 140 bob with free delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭jamesd

ericzeking wrote: »
    After some more toing and froing, Dutch Mike has said they will just give me a full refund.

Pottering around the net last night, I found shortsleeved gabbas on Merlin for 140 bob with free delivery.

Or the full monthy here for a bit more:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/181361218172?var=480358835371&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    EUR 147.94 plus €19 postage

jamesd wrote: »
    Or the full monthy here for a bit more:
    http://www.ebay.ie/itm/181361218172?var=480358835371&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
    EUR 147.94 plus €19 postage

Cheers but I prefer the idea of the short sleeve one, I feel it's more adaptable...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

That is the convertible one, the long arms zip off along the red lines around the pits and it is a short sleeve version underneath.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Gabba short sleeve available in a selection of sizes and colours from evans for €108. Best price i have seen this side of the atlantic
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/castelli/gabba-windstopper-rain-short-sleeve-jersey-ec033331

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

cunavalos wrote: »
    Gabba short sleeve available in a selection of sizes and colours from evans for €108. Best price i have seen this side of the atlantic
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/castelli/gabba-windstopper-rain-short-sleeve-jersey-ec033331

bought... missed the long sleeve one which was there yday at 133 euro!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

new Gabba 2 is out now hence the deductions.... http://www.wiggle.co.uk/castelli-gabba-2-convertible-jacket/
    nice in blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

yeah i've been tracking the ebay seller awaiting his next sale but have noticed he now only has XXL and up and hence not likely to see him having a large on sale now :(

I tried on the large jersey in store at the weekend and actually found that for a race fit it fits better. I had been thinking of sizing up before this

Feck it....caught again, ended up getting mine from Merlin in the end, ~140, serious piece of kit though, highly recommended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

As a matter of interest - is it a typical packable jersey, like the type of emergency pocket jacket? Or is it a bit bulkier?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

Seweryn wrote: »
    As a matter of interest - is it a typical packable jersey, like the type of emergency pocket jacket? Or is it a bit bulkier?

Its much bulkier than an emergency pocket jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Would a weekly wash of one of these do or more frequent?

Better off going for the convertible?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

Personally, I'd wash it as infrequently as possible. Unless it gets really dirty, then I hang it to dry and brush any crap off. No way would I wash it weekly.

Hoping the convertable shows up in an XL with that eBay seller or reduced online

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Thinking of selling my convertible XL (which is in perfect condition) to downsize to a medium short sleeve. Lost a good bit of weight this year racing so want something with a snugger fit. Probably go with short sleeve as I picked up nano flex arm warmers earlier in the year.
    Must say that this jacket is awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    Personally, I'd wash it as infrequently as possible. Unless it gets really dirty, then I hang it to dry and brush any crap off. No way would I wash it weekly.
    Do washing makes it less rainproof over time?

richieg wrote: »
    Thinking of selling my convertible XL (which is in perfect condition) to downsize to a medium short sleeve. Lost a good bit of weight this year racing so want something with a snugger fit. Probably go with short sleeve as I picked up nano flex arm warmers earlier in the year.
    Must say that this jacket is awesome.

Drop me a pm with a price.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Are the nanoflex armwarmers the exact same material as the gabba jerseys/jackets? Im tempted to get the short sleeve and the nanoflex warmers if that is the case rather than trying to catch a convertible cheap somewhere (which there are none of at present in my size)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭AmberGold

Nano flex arm warmers feel a bit lighter than the material used in the Gabba. I have both.

A quick question on care of the Gabba, I agree with an earlier poster re washing as little as possible.

Has anyone here washed a good few times and retained its water resistance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭omri

Is gabba a jersey or a jacket you can put on your cycling jersey ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭AmberGold

It's in between a soft shell jacket and a jersey. It wouldn't have that much insulation / warmth so would suit high tempo spins better in colder conditions.

Seweryn wrote: »
    Do washing makes it less rainproof over time?
    I think this holds true for almost anything short of plastic rainwear.
    omri wrote: »
    Is gabba a jersey or a jacket you can put on your cycling jersey ?
    Think of it as waterproof (not in a downpour) light but warm enough that a long sleeved base layer should be enough in conditions above maybe 5C add a LS jersey for colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭rab!dmonkey

Here's Castelli's official care guidelines. I wash my Gabba as frequently as any other jersey and it's still performing perfectly (ran it under the tap just there to be sure :o). Ironing on low heat or tumble drying on low heat is supposed to refresh the waterproofness.

For those of you wondering whether it's a jersey or a jacket, I'd describe it as a heavy jersey. The fabric isn't quite as soft as a normal jersey, so if your skin is sensitive a base-layer is a must. That said, I wouldn't be likely to wear it over a jersey. I have the short sleeve version and the Nanoflex arm warmers, which I find to be a very comfortable and versatile combination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Kinet1c

Managed to order the last XXXL from the dude on ebay, any idea if it will get caught in customs?

Kinet1c wrote: »
    Managed to order the last XXXL from the dude on ebay, any idea if it will get caught in customs?

Post #19

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭JKC

Hi all,

Evancycles has a cracking sale on at the moment, just nabbed a short sleeve gabba jacket for €108!

http://www.evanscycles.com/search?query=Gabba&x=16&y=23

JKC wrote: »
    Hi all,

Evancycles has a cracking sale on at the moment, just nabbed a short sleeve gabba jacket for €108!

http://www.evanscycles.com/search?query=Gabba&x=16&y=23

Ordered one myself too, it's in its way too. Ordered the matching arm warmers and leg warmers in black off ribble too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

mine arrived from evans on tuesday, went for the yellow long sleeve. looks a cracking piece of kit

Advertisement