Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tell us about your cycle Yesterday.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/104623594

one I've done a few times before and have described in my log.

Today we were powering along 35-37 or so On the road to Trim, I was third in a line of 5. Guy in front clipped leaders wheel and went down on his right hand side, I had nowhere to go and barrelled into him, flipping over and landing on my elbow/shoulder.

Guy behind me somehow managed to ride over both of us and stay up.
    I've a seriously swollen shin, road rash on a lot of me right side. Other guy has serious road rash on his right thigh and his bike is wrecked. both wheels outa shape, spokes snapped on one. derailer fecked, bars bent and front brake badly damaged too.

Only damage to my bike is a destroyed derailer, sheered it off on the connecting arm and folded the arm that holds the small cog nearly 90 degrees. :eek:
    slight buckle on the rear but only tiny.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Sorry to read that.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

Feic that sounds nasty cookie, for both men and machines, hope the aches and pains don't last too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

we're both fine, it'll be sore and stiff but nothing permanent thankfully.

I'm not sure what kinda damage he'll rack up on his bike but I only need a replacement derailer, or hopefully only some parts for it rather than a whole thing. Will need to have it looked at properly tomorrow.

Best of all is my boards kit didn't get ripped up :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,299 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Best of all is my boards kit didn't get ripped up :)

Thank god for that!:eek:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Cecil Mor

Did the Geevagh 40 in Sligo yesterday which is an annual fundraiser for the NW Hospice.
    Nice weather with an occassional threat of rain but nothing really kicked off.
    It was a short 40k, more like 37something but a good turn out of 68 participants of varying ages & abilities on everything from decent r'bikes to hybrids to hi-nellies.
    A bunch met us half way for a 20k spin, inculding the OH on my mtb.

Nice and enjoyable with tae, sambos & cake afterwards in the oub in Geevagh afterwards.
    I know the area reasonably well due to fishing on Lough Arrow but the spin along the lakes were great scooting along sun dabbled headgerows.
    Lot of fun:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,121 ✭✭✭daragh_

Sorry to hear about your accident Cookie. Hope you and the bike are back up and about soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Sorry to hear about your pile up Cookie - hope all heals soon.

I went out for a spin and explore this afternoon and got a bit lost

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/104710053
    I was riding through a huge cement factory/plant thing at one point and it was kinda eerie - especially when a huge conveyer started moving as I rode past it. Not a soul in sight.
    Found some good trails to ride - just need to find them again!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Sorry to hear about your accident, cookie. Hopefully you won't miss much time on the bike.

Went out to do some hills and got caught in an absolute deluge. :( Weather like that quickly saps your strength. I came home weighing about 5lbs heavier. Nearly came a cropper on a downhill at Athgoe. The road was covered in gravel and stones from the torrent. Feel sh1te now. Every part of me aches. Wheezy too.

Moan, moan...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jimzy

Got out nice and early this morning, left at 7.45 to head off with a group of 4. Delighted we went so early, missed The Rain™ :D, nice handy 80k route in around 3 hours passing through gowran - kilkenny - bennettsbridge - graiguenamanagh.

Did another 80k friday evening, and nearly got taken off the bike by some massive pitbull / rotwiller type sh1tehawk of a dog. The effing thing ran straight for us on a pretty fast decent, saw him late and didn't get a chance to slow down, felt his stupid head brush against my leg. Inches from hitting him and coming off the bike, probably should have went back and said something to the owner... next time... im sure the owner is a lovely fellow... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

First time on a bike in I'd say 6 years, and first time ever on a road!! Only did about 3km. Cycling is hard and cars are scary! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭matrixroyal

Did Dublin to Achill on Friday with 4 other guys ( we had not trained together ), 295km plus about 10-15km of diversions.

We departed at 5am and arrived at midnight.

We had a lot of mechanical issues / delays on the way, which might have been avoided although some were just due to bad luck.

What a trip, few lads suffered from saddle soreness but overall we stuck together and ground it out.

Amazing way to see the country and a great experience. We got some great help from a amazing lads in bikeshops in longford, tulsk and charlestown.

Thinking about next year ( tentatively ) and how to plan it all better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

I would love to do that journey, might set it as a goal and join ya, Have family in Keel and Dooagh so would be nice for me to start nice and early and the wife to catch up and pass in the car....

ohh yes... me thinks i have a goal.....

Cookie, hope your feeling better soon and get the bike up and running as soon as.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

just got new road bike, felt 85. havent cycled in 10 years. just getting up and running. have done a few 10ks this week.
    racing saddle is sore ha ha:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Serviced the kids bikes and took the young fella's last stabiliser off. Gave him a push, and off he went like an ickle pro, then took them both for a quick 2km round the bloc. Proud of the young lad :) he had his first fall too, but took it like a man!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

I swore at the wind seven times today. True story. What a filthy headwind that was. I was pushing through it for ages then coming up to a 90 degree turn thinking "nice one...crosswind here I come". I swear to god it felt like the wind just followed me. That was my first curse.

Santry to town was ok though. Mostly downhill. I love that stretch anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Khannie wrote: »
    I swore at the wind seven times today. True story. What a filthy headwind that was. I was pushing through it for ages then coming up to a 90 degree turn thinking "nice one...crosswind here I come". I swear to god it felt like the wind just followed me. That was my first curse.

Santry to town was ok though. Mostly downhill. I love that stretch anyway.

+1. Into Dublin via Clontarf cycle track was savage. Unrelenting headwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

+1 more.

Very tough going along Clontarf into Dublin. If it's like yesterday then the wind be against me on the way back as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭coolhandspan

first proper cycle in 10 years today, 25 km in 1hr 5min , wind rain and giant puddles everywhere. still enjoyed it.:):):eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Hi all
    just in from a 19km ride in the wind and rain in Ashbourne, you can view here..
    http://app.strava.com/rides/1185205

1hr just over so i am happy enough as this is my 6th ride since starting to cycle after working my up from 10km to 15 and now 19. goal is to get to 23km under one hour so i can cycle to work.

still i am feeling the lbs drop already so i am doing something right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,267 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

30km torrential rain, wind, great fun

anyone know if riding in lightning is a good idea ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

This was mine... Here
    imgp0728x.jpg
    imgp0758bi.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭MaroonTam

Yesterday was a commute home along the N4. The 20km home in the wind and rain was not much fun. Couple of face-fulls of bus exhaust fumes did not help the mood (although the draft oportunity helped a little).

Trip home was over 10 minutes longer than the trip in the morning (net uphill going home is some excuse :o)

Got into the house and a puddle accumlated below me in the hallway.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭rp

MaroonTam wrote: »
    Yesterday was a commute home along the N4. The 20km home in the wind and rain was not much fun. Couple of face-fulls of bus exhaust fumes did not help the mood (although the draft oportunity helped a little).
    I think I got a face-full of the same bus, at Palmerston, its hard to hold your breath when you are gasping already...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Cycled from Sarrion to Sagunto, had a crrrrrracking downhill section just outside Barracas which must have been 10km before I had to properly pedal up a hill again.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭experimenter

38km today in heavy rain and wind... back after a few weeks break... still on target for Kelly 90km in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

my gf was playing soccer this morn so i said i would cycle the 55km out to the game and hoped to arrive around half-time. the route was basically due east for the whole way......and where was the wind coming from today. damn headwind all the way, nightmare. seriously underestimated the route also, the first 2/3 was fairly flat but the last third was all hills.
    made the last 5 mins of the game, think my average speed was in the low 20's. a heavy slog!!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Dr.Millah

At best 50 meters around the garden, first time on the bike since a crash a few weeks back, pains in places unknown to me before now but its a start anyway, hopefully in a few weeks things will be back to normal.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭aquanaut

60km for me today - Waterford to piltown on main road and back in over portlaw. Stopped and raised seat 5mm and tilted nose down a bit - it felt great, therefore it probably wouldn't suit for some reason, like bad back at the end, anyway it did work great, super comfy - bonus.

Had cloudburst same place as last week but gave me a nice 5 minute break. Feeling on form for SK. Happy days :)

Oh - broke the speed limit on the ring road (62kmph) - always a fun bonus

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭Lawr

Just back from the Beara peninsula. Did two workouts there. It was pretty stormy there until yesterday. In fact, it started to improve about half way through my cycle around the western ring. All-in-all, great workouts. There are some back roads off of the western ring to Allihies that are very challenging, but I am not sure where the roads are. I don't think they are marked. If I had more time, I'd use my location finder to locate the access and departure points. Oh well.
    http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/Lawr/dls65picvc81qeei
    http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/Lawr/7ju53sdrj20anlem

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement