Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will Moto X Play and Style be on sale in Ireland?

• 29-07-2015 12:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

The news only mentioned they will be available across Europe, also wonder will they bring moto maker too. The phones look good but seems too big for some users.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I did see amazon being mentioned as a seller. If it's Amazon.co.uk we could be stung with the bad exchange rate but hopefully we can buy from Amazon france or one of those.

Fingers crossed as it looks like an amazing phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I had a hankering for the 2014 Moto X but got an oneplus instead, would seriously consider the Style though now looks class. Second hand market is soon to be flooded with oneplus ones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

I have a oneplus one and am not really tempted by the oneplus 2. In fact I'm actually thinking that I won't bother upgrading for the time being but if I change my mind the Moto style would be my first choice. I had a Moto G as my first Android phone as I wanted something cheap to try out the OS (former iPhone user :eek:) and it was a great phone for the money. I seem to remember when the Moto X came out it wasn't available in the Ireland and the Motomaker site would only accept UK registered credit/debit cards :(

I'm the same, I've lost interest in the OP2 as there is not much difference between it and the OPO.
    My thoughts now lie with the new Moto X and The Galaxy Note 5 Edge.

Going from near stock android to touchwizz would be painful and Galaxy note 5 edge would cost megabucks. Not convinced by the "edge" screens either too much distortion - I'd prefer normal narrower bezels.

• Advertisement

digitaldr wrote: »
    Going from near stock android to touchwizz would be painful and Galaxy note 5 edge would cost megabucks. Not convinced by the "edge" screens either too much distortion - I'd prefer normal narrower bezels.

Ya, touchwiz would be rough to deal with at the start but there are skinning options with the latest version of the S6 I believe which might make the change easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Kobe

It's a pity that Motorola decided to use IPS display for the new Moto Xs, but the design is still gorgeous in my opinion.

http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_moto_x_style-7229.php

The water repellant nano coating is a nice feature too. Would love to see more phones with this.

Kobe wrote: »
    It's a pity that Motorola decided to use IPS display for the new Moto Xs, but the design is still gorgeous in my opinion.

I'm actually pleased about this - never liked AMOLED. Unnatural over saturated colours and prone to ghosting especially with onscreen buttons my preferred option as capacitive ones are too awkward to reach and mean a bigger chin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Was reading in an Austrian forum that they couldn't order from Motorola DE directly and use the maker, as they don't ship to packing stations, so I was wondering if the same situation would appear to Motorola UK and parcel motel.

• Advertisement

Harika wrote: »
    Was reading in an Austrian forum that they couldn't order from Motorola DE directly and use the maker, as they don't ship to packing stations, so I was wondering if the same situation would appear to Motorola UK and parcel motel.

If I was able to customize Moto X and had them send to me here I would have bought last gen Moto X with leather back from Motorola UK, I think this year will be the same thing all over again. Hope they'll give us option to customize it via Amazon UK this time.

Moto X Play seems like a dark horse for me, similar software experience, Full HD instead of QHD, way bigger battery and friendlier screen size, and most important, $100 dollar cheaper than the Moto X style/pure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I suspect there is a better possibility of the Moto X Play becoming directly available here through the same channels (e.g. Argos) as the G and E, but the X Style will probably still need to be bought from overseas sources like Amazon UK, FR, DE, ES etc., or Orange.

Dunno how reliable this info is, but the closing line of this Irish Times article says the Moto X will go on sale in Ireland in September.

However it doesn't specify whether it is the Moto X Play or the Moto X Style or both. Hopefully both.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/motorola-looks-to-undercut-rivals-with-budget-handsets-1.2300982

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Hope they go on sale here.
    Bought a moto g2 a few months back and would upgrade to one of these.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭dave13

Moto X Play priced at £265 and due end of August in UK
    http://blog.clove.co.uk/2015/07/30/motorola-x-play-coming-25th-august-265/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭vectra

vectra wrote: »
    yeow, :eek:

:D

It's a rotten exchange rate at the moment!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭StereoSound

I really want to get the moto x style... I'm really liking it. Hope there is a reasonable avenue to get this model without effing about the place.

• Advertisement

Well I suppose the option of buying them from Eurozone e-tailers like Amazon France, Germany, Spain etc. will still be an option, as a way of avoiding the crazy Sterling exchange rate, if they don't become available directly to Ireland.

Really hope they do decide to sell the X here, as I'd expect it also brings the possibility of Moto Maker coming here a bit closer if they have the full range of phones is on sale here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

On the internet it states about 300 dollar, what would be around 300 Euros with different taxes. But only if amazon.de delivers, like the new kindle, 140 Euro from UK and 100 from Germany, just won't deliver here. :(

Harika wrote: »
    On the internet it states about 300 dollar, what would be around 300 Euros with different taxes. But only if amazon.de delivers, like the new kindle, 140 Euro from UK and 100 from Germany, just won't deliver here. :(

I'd say that restriction only applies to Amazon's own hardware devices, because the German site says it won't deliver Fire TV or Fire Stick to Ireland either.
    The European Amazon sites will definitely sell Motorola phones to and deliver them to customers in Ireland.

It's just a little over a month ago that I bought my Moto X 2014 from Amazon France. Also my previous phone, a first generation Moto X was purchased second hand from a fellow up the road a bit from me, but he had obtained it from Amazon Germany a few months earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 808 ✭✭✭dave13

Available to customise and preorder on https://www.motorola.co.uk/motomaker?pid=FLEXR5&action=designNew to UK only.

Anyone have any experience with Moto maker and Parcel Motel previously?
    Now works out at €395 for 16GB version

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Have you looked at the terms of sale? Says no po boxes or mail forwarding, and a uk based credit card too. Ironic seeing as the company base is listed as Dublin. Looks like a no go to me based on that. Disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Tried Parcel motel twice using slightly different details for moto play from UK. Had to ring them and guy says its parcel motel and their terms say they won't deliver to it.

So twice I failed the purchase. I can buy it from Amazon but its stock white or black which I didn't want.

Suggestions otherwise how to get a designed one from UK Germany of France appreciated because they're the only ones you can buy from.

It's a pity we can't get them customised.
    On the moto maker site, the royal blue looks pretty sweet :D

I'm also not so sure I'm happy on the price, but it's a nice looking phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭The_N4sir

Also available here from the German Motomaker. Not sure if restrictions apply like the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

The_N4sir wrote: »
    Also available here from the German Motomaker. Not sure if restrictions apply like the UK.

Tried it the other day. They won't ship outside of Germany, same applies to France. Haven't tried mailboxde.com either but doubt they'll allow that to be delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

What's the main difference between the Style and Play?

I'll need to get a new phone within a month and so far I really like the look of Play and I'm living in the UK currently.

Advertisement