Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The OnePlus 2 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

CJU6qRWW8AAbu8m.png

OnePlus Forum Announcement (link)
    The launch of the OnePlus 2 is only a few weeks away. Now, it’s time for one last OnePlus 2 announcement until the big day on July 27.

The RAM inside the OnePlus 2 is the latest and greatest on the market: LPDDR4. Your RAM is what handles your device’s short-term actions, like apps that are currently running or those in the background. With LPDDR4, you’ll see faster loading times, smoother gameplay, and never-before-seen energy saving features.

Why did we choose LPDDR4 for the OnePlus 2? Another notable benefit is lower power consumption for better battery efficiency. That means you’ll be able to use your favorite apps (and more) without draining the battery. With LPDDR4, you get twice the bandwidth performance as the LPDDR3 at the same power consumption profile. The RAM of the OnePlus 2 uses a lower operating voltage than its predecessor, decreasing from 1.2V to 1.1V. And with speeds up to 32 GB/s, it is also twice as fast as the LPDDR3. It offers optimal support for power-saving low frequency mode that brings clock speeds down when performing those everyday and necessary tasks.

All in all, LPDDR4 on the OnePlus 2 allows an even better user experience when using features such as slow-motion video, face recognition, and low-latency gaming--features that typically use a lot of bandwidth and can cause heavy lagging. Not only will the experience on the OnePlus 2 be smoother and sleeker, but your battery life will benefit as well.

Oh, by the way…did we mention we are packing in a whopping 4GB of LPDDR4 RAM? That’s more than, well, anyone else. Unlike 32-bit processors that can only utilize up to 3GB of RAM, our 64-bit Snapdragon 810 processor uses all 4GB to its maximum potential.

We thank you for taking the #HYPE train with us. We can’t wait to share everything with you on July 27.

Never Settle.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Samsung S6?

It's a really nice piece of kit, my brother has one and it's easily the most impressive current generation flagship, IMHO.

However, I swore an oath in blood not trust Samsung again after the horror of Touchwiz updates on the S3. Nearly sent me back to iphones, I'm ashamed to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

CJU6qRWW8AAbu8m.png

I don't think we'll notice the extra GB to be honest. I really hope the hit a decent price point, sub €400 would be perfect. I might bite at €450, but any more than that and I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Hope the next announcement will be a whopping 4,000 mAh battery.
    If its gonna have a huge screen, you may as well have a huge battery (literally) backing it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,641 ✭✭✭54and56

Hard to beat this as an OPO type clone - http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/vodafone-smart-ultra-6-pay-as-you-go-anthracite €175 unlocked (€5 eBay code) on a PAYG basis. I wouldn't swap it for my OPO but if I lost my OPO I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these, can't believe the value THB.

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 specifications:
    Dimensions: 154 x 77 x 8.35mm
    Weight: 159g
    Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 MSM8939, octa-core
    Display: 5.5 inch Full HD (1080 x 1920)
    Storage: 16GB, microSD (up to 128GB)
    Memory: 2GB of RAM
    Camera: 13Mp rear-facing LED flash, 5Mp front-facing
    Operating system: Android 5.0, Lollipop
    Battery: 3000mAh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Hard to beat this as an OPO type clone - http://shop.vodafone.ie/shop/phones/vodafone-smart-ultra-6-pay-as-you-go-anthracite €175 unlocked (€5 eBay code) on a PAYG basis. I wouldn't swap it for my OPO but if I lost my OPO I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these, can't believe the value THB.

Vodafone Smart Ultra 6 specifications:
    Dimensions: 154 x 77 x 8.35mm
    Weight: 159g
    Processor: Qualcomm Snapdragon 615 MSM8939, octa-core
    Display: 5.5 inch Full HD (1080 x 1920)
    Storage: 16GB, microSD (up to 128GB)
    Memory: 2GB of RAM
    Camera: 13Mp rear-facing LED flash, 5Mp front-facing
    Operating system: Android 5.0, Lollipop
    Battery: 3000mAh

Dam that is pretty good value. I guess its not going to take many sales from those looking for an OP2 but as a back up or replacement it's definitely hard to beat if you are looking in the <€250 range. Most people are more than familiar with ZTE now good to know it's got a decent manufacturer behind it.

Simi wrote: »
    I don't think we'll notice the extra GB to be honest. I really hope the hit a decent price point, sub €400 would be perfect. I might bite at €450, but any more than that and I'm out.

Agreed. Im more interested in the camera than the chipset and RAM.
    corwill wrote: »
    It's a really nice piece of kit, my brother has one and it's easily the most impressive current generation flagship, IMHO.

However, I swore an oath in blood not trust Samsung again after the horror of Touchwiz updates on the S3. Nearly sent me back to iphones, I'm ashamed to say.

What was the issue with the updates? The S6 UI looks fine in fairness.

Hope the next announcement will be a whopping 4,000 mAh battery.
    If its gonna have a huge screen, you may as well have a huge battery (literally) backing it up.

It's probably the same screen. A 4,000mAh battery would be perfect!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

What was the issue with the updates?

Update to 4.3 rendered the S3 unusable, coincidentally at a time when S5 sales were flagging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Duplicate thread. Locked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I see the other oneplus 2 thread has been locked, Can a mod merge then please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Merged as requested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Reddit AMAA with OnePlus staff discussing OnePlus 2
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/3cos0m/oneplus_amaa_preoneplus_2_launch_edition/

Battery details
    Although the OnePlus 2 is smaller than the OnePlus One we've managed to pack almost 10% more juice: the OnePlus 2 will have a whooping 3300mAh battery!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

There is a picture of a OnePlus One on a table with a OnePlus Two under it. You cant see the Two. So its smaller, does this mean smaller screen or same size screen but smaller bezel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

nedd wrote: »
    There is a picture of a OnePlus One on a table with a OnePlus Two under it. You cant see the Two. So its smaller, does this mean smaller screen or same size screen but smaller bezel?

Screen size not confirmed but expected to be similar to 1+1 but as you said smaller bezel.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

If its smaller than the one then I would be very tempted,that's the one thing that annoys me about it.
    Have the dimensions of the two been released?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

3,300 mAh battery confirmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It's been confirmed that the European version will support band 20 LTE, which is the 800MHZ frequency which operators will mostly use for rural 4G
    http://www.droid-life.com/2015/07/09/new-oneplus-2-details-3300mah-battery-lte-bands-priority-invite-system/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

yabadabado wrote: »
    If its smaller than the one then I would be very tempted,that's the one thing that annoys me about it.
    Have the dimensions of the two been released?

In what way is it too big? It is the perfect size for a phone. Fits perfectly in my pocket and good size screen. My old Note II had the same screen size. Tbh when I first got the OPO I thought the phone was very small.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

In what way is it too big? It is the perfect size for a phone. Fits perfectly in my pocket and good size screen. My old Note II had the same screen size. Tbh when I first got the OPO I thought the phone was very small.

Personal preference but I would prefer if it was a little smaller .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,237 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

In my opinion, If I cant touch all 4 corners of the screen without shifting the phone about, then it's too big, and this is coming from a happy OPO owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,608 ✭✭✭✭listermint

In my opinion, If I cant touch all 4 corners of the screen without shifting the phone about, then it's too big, and this is coming from a happy OPO owner.

There is no current phone on the market you dont have to shift the phone about with to touch all four corners.

Even my M7 i have to shift it down 5 mm in hand to get to top left hand corner of screen.

So based on that its not very plausible.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,207 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

listermint wrote: »
    There is no current phone on the market you dont have to shift the phone about with to touch all four corners.

Even my M7 i have to shift it down 5 mm in hand to get to top left hand corner of screen.

So based on that its not very plausible.
    That would depend how big your hands are, and how big your phone is, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭biebiebie

dan786 wrote: »
    3,300 mAh battery confirmed.

Just personal thought...

Although that's better than say the S6 or iPhone, I find that somewhat underwhelming.

It's probably enough for a days heavyish usage (ymmv), and hopefully fast charging will be part of the package.

In saying this I'm thinking about other forthcoming phones (Z5, Note 5) that are rumoured to have 4000+ mAh batteries. Okay different price league I admit.

Even my now almost 3 year old phone has a 3000mAh battery. It's an area that most phone manufacturers seem to have ignored when it comes to innovation, especially compared with more power hungry QHD screens and faster CPUs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,608 ✭✭✭✭listermint

That would depend how big your hands are, and how big your phone is, of course

Fair point but i dont see most people touching the four corners of any recent smartphones since the M7 without jocking the phone up or down within their grip.

Try it yourself.

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If they can make it smaller without reducing the screen size that would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

MKBHD on YouTube had one and has reviewed the camera:

https://youtu.be/VDiOv9148gc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

MKBHD on YouTube had one and has reviewed the camera:

https://youtu.be/VDiOv9148gc

Anyone know the technical reason why you cant shoot widescreen with 13megapixels? Drives me daft with the OPO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Anyone know the technical reason why you cant shoot widescreen with 13megapixels? Drives me daft with the OPO.

Because camera sensors follow the 35mm standard
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_sensor_format

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

biebiebie wrote: »
    Just personal thought...

Although that's better than say the S6 or iPhone, I find that somewhat underwhelming.

It's probably enough for a days heavyish usage (ymmv), and hopefully fast charging will be part of the package.

In saying this I'm thinking about other forthcoming phones (Z5, Note 5) that are rumoured to have 4000+ mAh batteries. Okay different price league I admit.

Even my now almost 3 year old phone has a 3000mAh battery. It's an area that most phone manufacturers seem to have ignored when it comes to innovation, especially compared with more power hungry QHD screens and faster CPUs.

You can't just look at battery size in isolation though when comparing now with 2012. Software and optimisation improvements etc have phones running more battery efficient today, generally.

Advertisement